Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance and Third Level Education

Options
  • 01-09-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭

I was down at the doctors this morning talking to my nurse. I was complaining about lack of money, and having to rely on my parents for the past few years while I was doing my degree and now for the next year while I'm doing a masters. She said that I might be entitled to disability allowance. Previously I thought that wasn't the case as A) I was in full time education, B) I was living at home with my parents and C) I don't qualify for the university grant because of my parents income. But she maintained that I'd be entitled to it. Is that true?

Other details;
    I'm 25.
    I don't think I qualify for a medical card.
    I don't think I qualify for back to education allowance.
    I haven't been claiming anything in the past because I didn't think I was entitled to it.
    I'm registered with my University's disability support crowd so the Uni knows about me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭rhonda15

Buceph wrote: »
    I was down at the doctors this morning talking to my nurse. I was complaining about lack of money, and having to rely on my parents for the past few years while I was doing my degree and now for the next year while I'm doing a masters. She said that I might be entitled to disability allowance. Previously I thought that wasn't the case as A) I was in full time education, B) I was living at home with my parents and C) I don't qualify for the university grant because of my parents income. But she maintained that I'd be entitled to it. Is that true?

Other details;
    I'm 25.
    I don't think I qualify for a medical card.
    I don't think I qualify for back to education allowance.
    I haven't been claiming anything in the past because I didn't think I was entitled to it.
    I'm registered with my University's disability support crowd so the Uni knows about me.

Talk to your doctor. You and your doctor will have to fill out a disability allowance form - then it has to be assessed by Dept. of Social Protection - I've heard it can take many months in some cases.

Bottom line your GP should be able to tell you whether you qualify or not.

good luck

Advertisement