Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finally making the move to digital: SLR

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

Canon 1000D.

Was my first DSLR a few months ago. Never disappointed me. I got a nice package deal in argos. Body, Lens, Bag, 2gig card. 500 squid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I'd reckon you could probably get one for less?
    Here's one that I had in my Adverts watchlist for a while.. http://www.adverts.ie/252492/digital-cameras/d200-and-compact-flash-cards/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Nforce wrote: »
    I'd reckon you could probably get one for less?
    Here's one that I had in my Adverts watchlist for a while.. http://www.adverts.ie/252492/digital-cameras/d200-and-compact-flash-cards/

Sold/Withdrawn - as that is my camera :D

"I am supposed to meet another buyer tomorrow (not met through adverts site)" - I was that buyer :)

She had it on Gumtree too. I got it for €370 in the end with the 3 x 4GB CF cards :) I just rounded up to 400 as it doesn't matter what I paid really. Just used it as a mark. Great deal me thinks. You missed out on a bargain! The actuations stated were bang on and the camera was in perfect nick. Well looked after.

I traded one of the CF cards plus the old Kingston one I had in my busted Sony for a brand new Lowepro 100aw slingshot bag.

Sold/Withdrawn - as that is my camera :D

I didn't buy it through here, She had it on Gumtree too. I got it for €370 in the end with the 3 x 4GB CF cards :) I just rounded up to 400 as it doesn't really matter what i paid really. Just used it as a mark.

Thought it might have been you as you were in the market for one at the time ;):D. Tbh...I'd reckon that anywhere from €300-400 is the true value of the D200 no matter what the folks are seeking on the likes of Adverts. Sure I only paid a little over €700 for my boxed,as new,low shutter count D300 well over a year ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

standard price for D200 b/o on the high street seems to be about €500; though that would generally come with a six month shop guarantee so you'd expect the price to be correspondingly higher than on adverts.

€600 for the body alone in Birmingham's. I checked when I was scouting for one. You take your chances on the likes of adverts. The only problem I've had was with one lens, the AF gears busted on it after a week! But after looking it up, seems it's a common problem with that particular lens and Sony Alpha bodies. I sold it for half what I paid in the end, as a MF only lens. Clearly stating the issue of course.

I would love a D300s as my next Camera, though a D90 for the right price would do too. I just love the design of the D200, the D90 feels cheaper to hold and isn't as comfortable IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

30kmph wrote: »
    I can't afford a digital medium format unfortunately. I'm quite happy with my 70's Oympus and 50mm lens, so was looking for an equivalent, but not sure which Canon model or Nikon model to go for. People say EOS - but which one?

I've never seen a photographer use a Sony, not sure I'd be prepared to buy a Sony SLR.

Remember Minolta ?

Sony took them over. Every lens minolta made will work perfectly on the Sony series of DSLRs.

TBH there isn't really anything on the market compared to sony that offers that much camera for your euros.

Its true that there isn't that many Sony cameras on the market as there only a new player in the SLR market (although they have all the minolta expertise behind them). Just because you don't see many people using them, doesn't mean cameras like Sony, Pentax and Olympus aren't worth your consideration.

There is plenty of people who will buy a Canon or Nikon for their badge and spend ridiculous amounts of time squabbling about whose camera is better rather then taking photographs. :pac:

[url=http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-sony-alpha-a450-digital-slr-camera-plus-18-55mm-lens/p1518865
    ]This[/url] and this are both great slrs. I have used both before and I'm pretty impressed with them (particularly the 7fps on the sony with is great for wildlife photography) :)

Already said in this thread - had a Sony, it was good, but not great. I'm processing images I took only today, I take at least some every single day, you? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭30kmph

Hi All, I've decided against buying duty free just for the lack of after-sales service. Just a point - some people keep mentioning Sony. Maybe for a walkman or a camcorder, but I am looking for a reputable brand such as Canon or Nikon.

Can anyone tell me, is there a good camera (perhaps a superceded model) such as an older EOS that I could get for 400 inc. VAT?

• Advertisement

Tbh,Sony are a very reputable manufacturer of camera equipment. They just aren't as established as long as Nikon/Canon etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

but I am looking for a reputable brand such as Canon or Nikon.

I'm not a fan of Sony equipment, but Sony are a reputable brand these days.
    They make the image sensor arrays for Nikon, Pentax and Sony DSLRs.
    Can anyone tell me, is there a good camera (perhaps a superceded model) such as an older EOS that I could get for 400 inc. VAT?

The Canon EOS1000D is €419.99 from Argos. You might get it for a
    few quid less if you shop around. Check adverts.ie for used cameras.
    Don't be surprised if the asking price for used DSLRs is more than
    the new price.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jacubo

Hi All, I've decided against buying duty free just for the lack of after-sales service. Just a point - some people keep mentioning Sony. Maybe for a walkman or a camcorder, but I am looking for a reputable brand such as Canon or Nikon.

I currently own Nikon D40 which is really great entry level DSLR. I believe you can get it below 300 (used) these days. It can't make movies though. So if you are interested in photos+movies look for something newer.

If I was looking for my first DSLR I would seriously consider Pentax K-x. You can get it on pixmania for slightly more than 500. The downside is this brand is not really popular in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

jacubo wrote: »
    If I was looking for my first DSLR I would seriously consider Pentax K-x. You can get it on pixmania for slightly more than 500.

Argos are selling the K-x with 18-55mm for €479.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

The consensus seems to be for this Nikon D200? Could this be got for around the 400 mark?

My old Olypmus has an excellent 50mm lens but wouldn't be interchangeable with a non-Olympus camera presumably.

Have you checked out the quality of the shots provided from all of the aforementioned cameras on Flickr? Dunno about 120 film but the Canon 8800F is quite good. I've scanned more than 3,000 35mm negatives with it.

Don't get pulled into the whole canon/nikon/Sony/etc debate. I have an eos 40D -bought 2nd hand on eBay with only 3,000 shutter actuations. Delighted with it. But I've also owned a Fuji Bridge camera, and an Olympus P&S (no delay with that one!).

Get what you feel comfortable with.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Naylor1

On that note, I have a Canon EOS 500 with two lenses. I was curious if they would work on a Canon EOS 500d? Does anyone know?

Thanks ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement