Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a job for a Carpenter, Tiler or Other??

• 01-09-2010 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Hi can someone please tell me how this type of bath would be achieved, would it be a job for a carpenter, plumber, tiler etc.

http://0.tqn.com/d/gouk/1/0/1/Y/-/-/bandb_6.jpg

Would a carpenter have to build the structure?
    Would a certain type of bath have to be used?
    Would plywood have to be attached to the structure and then that tiled? Would the bath be lowered into the structure or would it be built around the bath etc.?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can do it with any sort of bath. If the bath is in place you do not need a plumber, unless its to re-seat the taps. A carpenter would build a timber frame then put marine ply on it. A tiler would then do the tiles.

Points to consider. If there is a problem with the bath you would have to take the casing apart to get at the plumbing.

Also, having that kind of shelf means that you have to do a wide step into and out of the bath and it is easy to get off balance.

And the flat edging can hold water so that the tiling can get lifted if it stays wet long enough.

I personally would not do it (there was one on our bath when we moved into the house, and we took it off).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

changes wrote: »
    Hi can someone please tell me how this type of bath would be achieved, would it be a job for a carpenter, plumber, tiler etc.

http://0.tqn.com/d/gouk/1/0/1/Y/-/-/bandb_6.jpg

Would a carpenter have to build the structure?
    Would a certain type of bath have to be used?
    Would plywood have to be attached to the structure and then that tiled? Would the bath be lowered into the structure or would it be built around the bath etc.?

Thanks

Its actually a bathroom fitting company you need. This is what i use to do and no i am not advertising.(Use to was the important word) You dont need a carpenter just a good DIY person. You will need a plumber and a tiler. TBH if this were me i would do it myself and get the plumber and tiler to connect the bath. Or connect it with qualpex.

However I would change it slightly. Before the tile meets the floor i would step it back in and fit lights under the step shining down.

Also what ever you do...keep a few tiles over incase you need to break a couple to get access to the bath taps or waste in the future.

ps thats a marble tile. You need to be very careful if your using that type of tile. Especially over a shower tray as it can step the tray out so far a door wont fit...

again a bathroom fitting company will explain that to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

Thanks guys,

Its in the main bathroom and its just a bare room at the min, part of the wall is recessed in specially to fit that sort of set up.

I'd imagine the bath would need to either touch the ground or have support under it or else it would put alot of pressure on the structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

changes wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

Its in the main bathroom and its just a bare room at the min, part of the wall is recessed in specially to fit that sort of set up.

I'd imagine the bath would need to either touch the ground or have support under it or else it would put alot of pressure on the structure.

Build a bath frame fixed to the wall and floor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i can give ya price for the whole job. Im a chippy and my work mate is a tiller .

We do this kind of thing now . Revamping bathrooms. Its becoming very popular.

• Advertisement

I'm up in donegal gsxr1 it would be a 7 hour round trip :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Where about in Donegal are you

Lifford would be the closest town to me, its only the wood structure i'd need done as i already have a tiler on board. It would be too small a job to ask anyone to travel to.

I don't think i'd attempt it myself though.... there would deff be problems if i did :D

Advertisement