Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest chancer customers you have dealt with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

When her son broke the phone she bought him a customer once said "you shouldn't sell things that can break"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    When her son broke the phone she bought him a customer once said "you shouldn't sell things that can break"

LOL!
    That's made my day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Used to work in a phone shop, countless stories had a customer who turned out to be an absolute idiot candidate for Ireland's stupidest criminal;

Out the back of shop working on paper work, one of the consultants comes in looking to okay a discount on a €1200 sale (three phones, speaker system & an ipod)

Go out to the shop floor and recognise this big spender as an absolute chancer, ask the consultant hows he paying - response credit card - go up to chat to money bags;

M - Hey David, big purchases
    D - Yeah, you know Christmas is coming ;)
    M - No problem, lets get you sorted here, how do you want to pay
    D - Plastic Fantastic ;)
    M - No hassle €1200 please
    D - Here ya go
    M - When did you change you're name to Ian Burke David?
    D - mmmmm -- thats my real name David is a nickname

Other customer interjects - I'm sorry (to David) what's your name?

D - mmmmm -- Ian Burke
    C - That's my f**king card you fu*king scumbag, my wallet was robbed an hour ago.

Queue customer lounging at David and mayhem ensuing - shop security restrain David and we calm customer - Guards come and haul him away.:D (names changed)

Another time we had a gang of women crowd around the demo phone walls, snap three or four phones of the walls and leg it out of the shop with their 'prizes' - the phones are plastic replicas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

eimearcmh wrote: »
    From reading the above posts its clear its a common problem. As long as we are aware of it and make others aware of the scam then they won't be successfull.

I presume you have cameras above your head/at the desk/till/counter anyways?

Yeah, above your head and a side view. The info was passed down by the Security chaps in the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Had a guy in Galway who claimed I destroyed his fence while digging along the road-he didn't have a fence.The boss didn't want any hassle so seeing as I refused to go and "fix" it he sent his son who wrote off his van on the way.As soon as people see you doing any work near their home (and yes they were mostly well to do) they see an opportunity to gouge you.One bollix in Wicklow got new gates to his land hung as he claimed our machines wrecked them-the gates had rusted away with age and lack of care over the years.Another guy blocked us in on his land claiming damage had been done and nobody was driving out til he got paid-I drove a JCB up around his house and out,a fleet of jeeps and vans followed with him roaring and shouting like an eejit,when we said we had photographic evidence of no damage:D he relented.Chancers are always out there watching and waiting-be alert folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xkariex

I work in a supermarket with its own home bakery and this ederly man came in and stated that a rat had went through his read because there was little holes in the slice.
    We asked him when did this happen he said in the shop as there was crumbs on the ground and he saw the tail went and got the manager his story dramatically changed to it must of been as there was hole in the bread..

Can just happen ha..

Another one when i was in the deli tried to bring back cooked meat 4weeks out of date sayin it tasted funny !!

HA customers are priceless !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Worked in an off licence and one night there was two of us on, a young looking guy had come in and my mate Gav was checking his ID:

Gav: Sorry mate, this really doesn't look like you.
    Kid: It is though,
    Gav: Well, what school did you go to? (Still don't know why he asked this)
    Kid: <says a school>.

Gav asked me did I recognise him as I went to the same school.

Me: Sorry mate, I don't recognise you, what year did you graduate?
    Kid: 2002
    Me: But that's the year I graduated?
    Kid: Yeah!
    Me: But...I don't recognise you and you were in my class?
    Kid: ehh...
    Me: What's your name?
    Kid: J Walsh
    Me: But...he's a mate of mine, I know J Walsh.
    Kid: Yeah!
    Me: ...<in hysterics> You're NOT J Walsh!!!!

He left.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Worked in a bank in a small town a few years ago. 2 young girls walk in about 16-17 ish tracksuit bottoms, scrunchie...ya know the type.Asked could they change some money. Thinking it would be 100 for some 20's or something I said ok.Pulled out a wad of what must have been 2-3 grand in 200's and asked for 50's. I didnt even bother to count it. You wouldnt have to stick it under the uv lamp to know they were fake, I mean amatureish fake like they got a hold of some thin textured paper and photocopied them. My facial expression was in not amused mode.I mean for god sake how dumb can you get, trying to pass forgeries an a place where theyre trained to spot forgeries :rolleyes: I made the excuse of we didnt have that much 50's in cash and come back another day. Gardai were duely notified. As it was a small town, the sight of a squad car flying past the window 5 minutes later leads me to believe their escapades came to an abrupt end :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

The worst is when the manager doesn't stick up for you and gives the customer whatever they want, after you spent half an hour trying to calmly explain how they will not be getting a refund etc. Does my head in. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Frelance

Worked in a shopping centre for a year and had plenty of chancers. One woman came upto me to buy some DVD's that were all brand new on the shelves and when i scanned the barcodes and told her the price, she said check again and pointed to some stickers on the back. Loads of bargain stickers had been attached to them from our cheap dvd's section. She started bull****ting about getting us done by trading standards for false advertisement. Told her i was getting a manager but just wanted to Keep her waiting while i got security to confirm she had done it herself
    She now has a lifetime ban and a spot on our dodgey customers wall:P

Had a fella walk in and put a display tv in his trolley and walk out with it. When security caught up with him he said his wife was inside paying for it:rolleyes:

another guy returning a xbox 360 at our front desk got a surprise when i was called to check it and found an empty shell??? no idea where the innards were but he must have been ragin because we were just handing over the store credit card when he was caught.

Fun times were to be had indeed. I quite liked catching out the scammers and shoplifters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

Kimia wrote: »
    The worst is when the manager doesn't stick up for you and gives the customer whatever they want, after you spent half an hour trying to calmly explain how they will not be getting a refund etc. Does my head in. :mad:

Absolutely HATE that. It really undermines the cashier.

Happened to me a few times unfortunately.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

k99_64 wrote: »
    'One of your barmen just dropped my pint bottle of bulmers I want another one'

Me: 'we dont sell pint bottles'
    What I saw when working in the local.

'Guinness has a bad head'

'We know. It's been sitting there on the table for the last hour. You only came in five minutes ago'

:D
    And yes, he was well to do in a suit and tie.
    Should've checked his insurance disk. And rang revenue if he was telling the truth :D
    Foreign lady in a long skirt and head scarf tried the break a 200 note trick on my wife, then changed her mind after pocketing some of the twentys,

Seen it attempted several times before.
    Aye. Seen it done a few times before. Usually done in a busy period. Often use smaller notes, such as fifties. Ask for change in tenners, change their mind, give back goods, give back money, minus ten or twenty, and then f**k off. They usually give a lot of aggro when you refuse to refund them, and this is the main way that tips you off that something ain't right. Aggro is how they play the game, as the aggro is to frighten the staff into submission.
    Kimia wrote: »
    Love the ones who do, though :D Esp the ones who are chilled, and pretty much say "f**k off" to the customer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

You'd be hard pressed to find someone who finds the drinks prices in Dublin agreeable, and if you do, I'm sure they do the same job as you. There's cheap tight arses, and then there are normal people sick of being rode, I'm sure you can tell the difference.

I don't particularly care what people in Dublin think is agreeable to be honest. If you don't want to pay for your drinks, stay at home or drink less. Like I said, we didn't have a door charge and there was plenty of promotions there for people if they wanted. If that's not good enough for people, they can fcuk off as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The sequel to "Cries of Retail" is off to a good start.
    Let's hope it continue's...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

foxyboxer wrote: »
    The sequel to "Cries of Retail" is off to a good start.
    Let's hope it continue's...

Cries of retail is still active in the ranting and raving forum. You should get access. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sold phone credit to a customer. O2 Speakeasy I believe.

Customer takes out the phone and holds her piece of paper with the code and walks away. As you do with you call the number and key in the code
    Ten seconds later she is back again, apologizing and she meant to buy Vodafone but she just wanted her money back, not an exchange

Ok, innocent mistake I thought I'd sell the 02 credit to someone later so gave money back.

I did sell the credit later that day and then the customer threatened to call the gardai on us as the 02 credit was already used. Big long calls to 02 ensued.

Turned out the first lady used the camera on her phone to take a copy of the O2 receipt, got her refund and used the credit

Boy did I make a rookie mistake! :o
    This scam is well known now and you wouldn't get away with it these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Customer takes out the phone and holds her piece of paper with the code and walks away. As you do with you call the number and key in the code
    Ten seconds later she is back again, apologizing and she meant to buy Vodafone but she just wanted her money back, not an exchange

Ok, innocent mistake I thought I'd sell the 02 credit to someone later so gave money back.

I did sell the credit later that day and then the customer threatened to call the gardai on us as the 02 credit was already used. Big long calls to 02 ensued.

Turned out the first lady used the camera on her phone to take a copy of the O2 receipt, got her refund and used the credit

Jeny id never heard of this one. Must keep an eye for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

mojesius wrote: »
    Another one from the restaurant, seen many times. Table of underagers would come in, try to order drink. No ID, no drink. They'd all order cokes, bring their drinks to the toilet with them and return with extremely pale cokes, thinking they were really smart. I'd take it off them saying 'that coke doesn't look right, let me get you a fresh one'. The shock on their faces was hilarious.

hahaahah - this happened to me once - except I was actually drinking coke :D:D:D Had it half finished and some guy from the bar came up behind me and said it didn't look right and took it back and gave me a new one :D:D:D:D:D

buyah - it felt good

saying that when it happened I was so young it didn't even register to me why he changed it but being the mean fecker that I am I still remember the good auld buzz of getting a free coke :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

I've gotten this a few times, usually get a sob story."I forgot I need the money for the bus" Yeah right. This is why most shops will not issue refunds for phone credit at all. No matter how long ago it was sold.

A few weeks ago we had a few traveller girls in our store, they gave me a pile of stock to get in the stock room, when I saw my co worker come in with another pile I knew something was up and looked up to the camera and saw the older ones getting the youngest girl to sneak in behind the counter. I snuck came out and caught her stuffing a NDS into her pocket, her face went bright red when I caught her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    There was a bit of a scam going betting on dogs when I was working in the bookies. People would use really **** hand writing where you weren't sure whether they had written €5 or €50. They would do this just as the dog race is off, and wouldn't put the money down until they saw how their dog was doing. If it was doing **** they'd put €5 down, if it was doing well they'd put €50 down. We just told them to **** off, we don't take late bets, especially when it comes to the dogs. There is a phrase for all of this but it is escaping me right now.

a the slow count,im well familiar with it. Scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

:eek::eek:

You musn't have heard of it because it doesn't happen anymore but only because it was so endemic that at this stage all the scammers assume even the greenest newbie shop assistant knows about it so don't bother their arse trying anymore.

Worked in a bar a good few years ago and had this wagon demand late drinks after closing. Just would not take no for an answer.

"I'm a very good friend of the owner Simon. I'm going to ring him right now to complain!"

"Right so, do you need the area code for Germany where he emigrated to about 4 years ago?"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

Hate when the manager doesn't stick up for ya...

I don't mind people chancing their arm and will usually give a discount to them, but it's pr1cks who come in and assume they're entitled to money off! Had a women in a few weeks ago (work in a visitor centre) saying she had forgot her 10% off voucher but could she still have the discount. She was been a right wagon about it, so I told her she couldn't get the discount without presenting the voucher! well she nearly blew up was going to leave, in front of other customers etc. Told my manager the situation and of course he went with her!!

It's just some people look down on you if you work in certain jobs, so fook them- no discount for the pr1cks haha!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My Dad used to be a chancer customer. So fecking embarrassing going anywhere with him. I remember him arguing with a train ticket seller that he shouldn't have to pay for a ticket until he'd finished the journey because he didn't believe in paying for anything upfront. Cringe. Then we had to jump the barrier, it was either that or be left behind in North London!

The worst though (which is funny now thinking back). We were over visiting my brother who was living in Munich (my brother is definitely his father's son) and going to the Deutsch Museum. We went up to the window and he asked for three tickets. One for a child under 10 (I was 14), and two disabled. He told them my brother was "mental" and that he was blind!
    The worst part was that it only cost the equivalent of 80p to get in. I was mortified. Even worse they went around the museum in character forcing me to describe the exhibits to my Dad and stop my brother from licking the frigging glass!

Then afterward we were brought to an All You Can Eat. My brother had his hard hat from work with him. He had the bloody thing lined with tinfoil in preparation. Himself and my Dad went and furtively filled the bloody thing up whilst I went into a corner and hoped the earth would swallow me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I once had this little blonde English girl come into the shop I was working in in Portugal and claim that she had been kidnapped! Sure enough, her father returned a moment later and dragged her away.

Chancer! Some kids will do anything for attention.

I work in a computer store doing the technical end but occasionally have to deal with customers. I had one in who tried to return a graphics card saying it didn't fit in his machine. Or so I thought... the box was from a card we do indeed sell, but inside the box he swapped it with a video capture card. I'd say he was banking on me taking his word for it and not checking inside.

I just told him that's not the right card and he claimed he put the wrong card in the box and would be back later. Never saw him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yeah, it doesn't work anymore.
    Most shops have signs up about not giving refunds or exchanges on mobile phone credit and staff are told to watch out for it

But for a time, it was rampant and going on in newsagents all over Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

One customer got €25 petrol before but "forgot his wallet" (usual BS excuse).

I took his Driving License as collateral.

Later that night, he came up to the hatch (shopfloor was closed) and demanded his license back as he needed ID to get into the local pub.

I said: "Then pay your bill and you'll get it back".

He went on a mad rager banging on the bulletproof windows. ****ing hilarious. I love when this happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

There was a well know woman who use to specialise in getting refunds on electrical items she didn't buy, she travelled all over the country. Would come in to the store put the display model into her trolley find a junior member of management and argue that it was faulty and she didnt have the box or receipt. Surprisely it worked alot of times for her. She still might be about.

The other chancers are the ones that publically take and hide an item on them, then find a blind spot on the store cams to dump the item. Walk out the door and get pulled back by security, they settle for a false arrest payment out of court. Easy money for them, especially as the sum increases each time that retailer gets caught by the scammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Work in a supermarket. Few weeks ago, an old woman was at the salad bar putting in just a tiny bit of coleslaw into the plastic container. Proceeds to weigh it and print out the sticker and then goes back over and stuffs as much more coleslaw into the container as possible! Fcuking chancer, the old aren't immune to it either! :rolleyes::pac:

When I'm in work at the till on my own it's unbelievable how much more often I get people looking for discounts/freebies/making complaints, compared to when other people are behind the till too. I've NEVER seen someone ask my boss for a discount, and it's not because they realise he's the boss, it's because he's a big guy. I have no problem giving people discounts when I'm not alone, but I never do it when I'm on my own because I know they're just preying on a young girl on her own in the shop. The only time that I ever have given someone a discount when on my own in the shop was because the guy was being so pushy I was close to tears and just had to get rid of him. I've no problem with people trying to get a couple quid off, but purposely doing it because they think they can bully me because I'm a girl and young and on my own is just really low.

Also it might just be my shop, but it seems to me that the majority of people who complain or want money off are people who probably aren't spending their own money, ie. well to do wives and mothers, trying to assert their "authority" on a shop assistant who should know her place. Ugh. Rant.

Biggest chancer was an angelic looking 5 year old (by the look of her) girl who put her hand in the tip jar and whose mum just stood a the till waiting to be served, not caring. When one of us told the girl the tips weren't for her she stared at us for a couple seconds still fondling the coins, dropped a couple of them, put her hand in her pockets and skipped away jingling with the sound of cash in her dress. She must have been at it for a minutes or two already before we noticed her. We were so shocked we just didn't know what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...in the years ive been working with the public i have always found that the more well to do customers are the biggest chancers
    So true.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Two men in my da's hometown were total chancers. The first lad would get a €50 euro note tear a piece of the corner and write something random on the bottom, then he'd use it to buy a pint. Then his friend would come in pay for a pint with a €5 note, and drink it quickly. He would then return to bar and say did I not give you €50 last time, I think I did because its all I had coming in with me, I remmber cause just before I left the house I got a €50 off the wife and there was a number wriitnon the back of it. Would work when it was busy.

Once had a customer swear blind he gave me a €50 for a bottle of Bud. I had just got a new float and he was the first person i served with it, was a great feeling been able to take the till and askin him could he he see his €50 note anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Unreasonable, idiotic person: "have you heard the expression the customer is always right"
    me "yes, I'm fully aware of it, however after the stunt you just tried to pull you are no longer a customer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Das Kitty wrote: »

The worst though (which is funny now thinking back). We were over visiting my brother who was living in Munich (my brother is definitely his father's son) and going to the Deutsch Museum. We went up to the window and he asked for three tickets. One for a child under 10 (I was 14), and two disabled. He told them my brother was "mental" and that he was blind!
    The worst part was that it only cost the equivalent of 80p to get in. I was mortified. Even worse they went around the museum in character forcing me to describe the exhibits to my Dad and stop my brother from licking the frigging glass!

:pac:

Sounds like an episode of Father Ted or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rhamiel

Worked in a cafe before where I served a seemingly well to do middle aged lady lunch.. when I asked her if she'd like tea or coffee she just asked if she could have hot water which i hospitably gave her a pot of without charge. She sat in the cafe for bout 2 hours and I gave here a free refill.. it was just hot water sure. It was only when she left and I cleared her table I realized the fcuker had brought tea bags from home with her in her handbag to use instead of payin for a feckin cup of tea. The nerve of the snooty bollix :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Lanaier wrote: »
    :pac:

Sounds like an episode of Father Ted or something.

I really should write down as many of his escapades as I can remember, there's some good material there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

jdooley28 wrote: »

Once had a customer swear blind he gave me a €50 for a bottle of Bud. I had just got a new float and he was the first person i served with it, was a great feeling been able to take the till and askin him could he he see his €50 note anywhere!

Oh god, that happened to me except I was the Customer... I wasn't chancing my arm though, I genuinely thought I'd given €50... felt like a plonker and haven't gone in that pub since... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

I really want to escape retail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Was working in Mcdonalds a few years ago and had this guy come in on a Saturday morning and hand me a 50 quid note, we had them lighting checks undeer the counter and surely enough it was fake.

Me: Sorry mate, I can't take this it's fake.
    Him: Nah nah it's not buddy, I jus gotta outta the bank machine?
    Me:Which one?
    Him: The one accross the way, jus a min ago and all.
    Me: Thats out of service I was at it before I came into work.
    Him: Ahhh it musta been another one, it's not fake!
    Me: It is fake.
    Him: Well jus gis it back then!
    Me: Can't do that mate, have to hold it until the guards come and check it.

Legged it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭JOCookie

I worked in Xtra Vision during college, (a lot of these seem to happen there) and a Roma woman came in and bought a small bottle of coke for E1.25 i think it was, and handed me in a E100.00 note. I only had E20.00 notes in the till as we only keep small notes in it. I handed the change back with 4 E20.00 notes, in front of me she put one of the E20.00 notes in to her other hand :confused:

Than she started roaring saying i didnt give her the right change, and she counted it out infront of me, saying she was missing E20.00 (as it was in her other hand). I was getting annoyed at this stage cos she was always in other shops around trying this and there was a queue behind her, so i just took the E20.00 out of her other hand, took the rest of the change of the counter and took the bottle of coke of her and gave her back her E100.00 and told her to get out!! felt good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭cailinardthair

well this summer during a festival the telephone line went down for the whole weekend so no laser, no atm etc. Now most people seemed fine about annoyed at the fact but ok about, nothing we could have done to help them.
    the next morning when all the festival goers were trying to get food and one fella had no money due to the fact that the atm was down. He wanted cash from the post and was told that he couldn't get it due to no telephone line, siad he would give him his bank card for cash instead and got told no coz you can call in monday saying it was stolen. tried it then on the shop assiants and siad you tried once over there and it wont work here either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

I was the customer in this scenario... the salesman was the chancer, he tried to sell us a house that had been camoflaged as a decent house. The house was 60 years old and needed a new roof, and when I looked in the attic, I noticed there was no insulation and some of the rafetrs needed replacing.
    I drove past it one rainey day and noticed the back yard was flooded as the drainiage system was obviously screwed up... he was looking for €220,000... I think he must have been the biggest chancer I have ever dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

not really a customer thing, but I was heading home from college in the pissing rain when a car pulled up on the street and the driver signaled me to come round to his window. I thought he was looking for directions or something but he began to recite the sob story about how he was heading up to a wedding in Donegall and didn't bring his wallet. to add to this, he didn't have enough petrol to get there.
    This man assured me that if I spotted him some money for petrol, he would give it back at the same time/place on his way home the next day!

I proceeded to walk off laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Oh god, that happened to me except I was the Customer... I wasn't chancing my arm though, I genuinely thought I'd given €50... felt like a plonker and haven't gone in that pub since... :o
    Happened me too, only I did give a 50 and got change for 5. The barman after swearing blind for two minutes that I only gave him a fiver finally opened the till to find my 50 euro note sitting on top of the fivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Had a bizarre one when I worked in a pharmacy. I hadn’t been working there long when a middle-aged woman comes in and asks to have a look at a couple of painkillers, she was looking at the back of the packs and I just thought she was deciding which one to get. She was very vague, didn’t buy them but asked me for a sheet of paper, I thought ok well seems harmless and I gave her one. She goes off and sits in one of the chairs for customers waiting for prescriptions and starts writing stuff on the sheet, I’m thinking a bit odd but meh carry on with whatever I’m doing, I notice her going around the store, looking at things and writing on the sheet. I assume maybe she’s writing a list of stuff she wants to get another time. I’m not at the counter thank god when she comes back. I notice her starting to get very angry with the pharmacist dealing with her at the counter. She starts to shout her head off at him:eek:
    It turns out she went around writing a list of meds and the instructions from the packs of them on the sheet of paper I’d given her. She had written a prescription for herself and was convinced she was allowed to because she was a medical student.
    It was the most ridiculous thing, the meds she’d written on it were both available on prescription and over the counter so she could have just bought them as anyone else would. But she was utterly convinced she had the right to write a prescription, being a medical student she seemed to think made her a doctor, doctors aren’t even allowed to write their own prescriptions. I have never seen someone lose it so much, I pretty much hid in the dispensary during the whole thing, being so inexperienced I was terrified:o She was shouting like hell at the pharmacist, he was explaining to her as politely as possible that she couldn’t write her own prescription. But she wasn’t having it and the guards had to be called, nearly arrested her but she eventually left. Later turned out the guards had dealt with her before and also that she was a doctors wife!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Happened me too, only I did give a 50 and got change for 5. The barman after swearing blind for two minutes that I only gave him a fiver finally opened the till to find my 50 euro note sitting on top of the fivers.

i always throw whatever note a customer gives me on the buttons while im giving change, saves them accusing you of short changing.

if it ever happens where they query the change i just point to the note on the buttons and say thats what u gave me i havent put it into the til yet. works every time

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

Cake Man wrote: »
    Work in a supermarket. Few weeks ago, an old woman was at the salad bar putting in just a tiny bit of coleslaw into the plastic container. Proceeds to weigh it and print out the sticker and then goes back over and stuffs as much more coleslaw into the container as possible! Fcuking chancer, the old aren't immune to it either! :rolleyes::pac:

Used to work in a shop and a guy used to do this all the time, but with the fruit. Ya wouldnt mind if it was a couple of extra grapes or somethin, but he load up, and only pay around 20c.
    One day I said "oh its not scanning hold on and ill go and get another sticker for ya" Tried to say hed get it himself, but I was like "Oh its no problem, Ill sort it for ya"

Another woman used to come in and take all da magazines out of the papers.

Also at the end of the day, the pastry and cakes that had been sitttin out all day would get bagged, and youd get around 6 pieces for 70c and theyd sit in the bargain basket thing.

This woman used to fill them with all the expensive pastries that werent on offer, and swap the stickers. Shed have about 5 or 6 euros worth and try and get it for bout 70c.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

When I used to work in Xtra-vision, We used to get our deliveries every Thursday. We used to send things back to head office too. For a few weeks a couple of lads would come in about half an hour before the courier. They'd be wearing courier's uniforms and asked if there was anything to be sent back to head office. They managed to get massive tvs and everything off some of the other shops

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

A story from the other side.
    My old friends got a great idea to make a dud €50 note and go to the chinese to buy chips with it, thus getting free chips and €48 in change back. In theory it was swell but when he made the note it was the size of a €5 note and pretty crap looking. After telling them countless times it wont work, they still went ahead with it.
    So off to the chinese they went (I waited in the car to see them fail). About 5 minutes later the 2 guys come sprinting out only to be followed by 4 chinese men running after them and shouting some chinese abuse. Was so funny I regret not recording any of it.

tl;dr - They didnt fall for the dud note.

I also used to rape the sweets counter in my local supermarket. You had to put the sweets in a bag and weigh it yourself. So I would fill it up to the top each time and when weighing it I would lift it off the scales a tiny bit thus reducing it weight and price. Worked for atleast a year untill thy got rid of them. Ah the good times..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Worked in the cinema years ago and had this chancer come in with his son. I went to take the tickets and noticed that the movie they were going to was rated 18s. All the staff had just gotten a long lecture about not letting underage people into movies, threats of massive fines, loss of job, death* etc.

I looked at his son, all of 10 years of age and politely explained that he wouldn't be able to go in and I could offer a refund or get him tickets to see another show. Instead of doing the usual and trying to persuade me to let it go, the man insisted his son was 18. At this point it was hard to keep a straight face, but I stood my ground and asked for ID to prove this. He went on a rant, insisting his word was good enough and why would he need ID to see some stupid film.

The very best part of this was the boy was standing there wearing his school uniform from one of the local primary schools! When I pointed this out he tore up the tickets, threw them at me and stormed off - only to turn around and collect the ticket bits and storm off again. :D

*this bit may not be true

• Advertisement
Advertisement