Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name misspelled on cheque.

• 01-09-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I recently recieved a small cheque from Genworth Financial but the misspelled my name on the cheque. Instead of Michael they have put a y in and its Michyael, second name is correct. Will the bank take this cheque or do I have to get a new one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

Personally I would give it a try, it will either go through or you will have to wait for a replacement:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It should be fine.

Wouldn't mention it to them and it should go through.

......it is not majorly different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Id be suprised if there was a problem with the bank about this.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pjmn

That won't cause a problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I get misspelled cheques all the time as my first name (Alun = Welsh version of Alan) keeps getting "corrected" by Irish companies to Alan, and it's never been a problem. Still a PITA though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tarmac terrorist

ye i hav lodged cheuqes into boi and tsb in the past with spelling errors in my name,never had a prob:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

I've even lodged a cheque for my other half into my account in error, they never even looked at it.

Pity I had to give the money back tho :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i used to help eastern european guys who worked for me cash their wages through my bank and there was never any probklem(they had no utitilty bills to open their own bank accounts at that stage)

just get em to sign the back and lodge it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Jet Black wrote: »
    Hi all.

I recently recieved a small cheque from Genworth Financial but the misspelled my name on the cheque. Instead of Michael they have put a y in and its Michyael, second name is correct. Will the bank take this cheque or do I have to get a new one?

Thanks

Shouldn't have a problem, I've gotten misspelled cheques before and just lodge them without any problem, although I did point out the misspelling to them, they said "ah, no problem".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 buzzin2buzz

Will second all of the above, should be no issue at all - using quick loge should definateley avoid any problems as i doubt they'd be bothered contacting you for what is obviously a typo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Should this be the same now?

I had an extra letter added into my surname in error and BOI are refusing to honour it.

Should I just quick lodge it anyway and try my luck?

devnull wrote: »
    Should this be the same now?

I had an extra letter added into my surname in error and BOI are refusing to honour it.

Should I just quick lodge it anyway and try my luck?

Anyone?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Depends on what letter it is and what way it changes the surname. Personally if it was something like O'Connor but misspelled O'Connors, I'd accept it, but if it was something that made it look like a completely different surname I'd probably have to check with a manager. If you put it in the quick lodge, those cheques are still monitored, so it could end up being pulled and sent back to you.

Toots wrote: »
    Depends on what letter it is and what way it changes the surname. Personally if it was something like O'Connor but misspelled O'Connors, I'd accept it, but if it was something that made it look like a completely different surname I'd probably have to check with a manager. If you put it in the quick lodge, those cheques are still monitored, so it could end up being pulled and sent back to you.

It's literally an extra letter inserted in the middle of the surname.

I don't want to give my surname away on here, but the closest example of a similar name I can give is someone writing Johnston instead of Johnson for example, the mistake is something similar.

In branch I showed them the letter that came with the cheque, that was signed by the same person who signed the cheque, but with the correct spelling. The cheque also was a pre-printed company letter headed cheque and the letter was the same.

It'll be pain in the ass to get it redrawn as I'm out of the country for a little while from early next week and I really could do with the case (it's a high 3 figure sum)

I paid it into the branch early this morning via cashier and they didn't bat an eyelid, although it's not been credited to my account yet, which makes me figure they might sent it back?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I dunno, you might have just gotten a fussy cashier the first time. Have you checked it on 365 or just at an ATM.

Toots wrote: »
    I dunno, you might have just gotten a fussy cashier the first time. Have you checked it on 365 or just at an ATM.

Online and 365, no sign of it yet.

Maybe try and give the branch a ring (or the call centre and ask to be put through to the branch)

Advertisement