Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gear Problems

• 01-09-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hello, my first time on this forum.
    I recently bought a Kellys Result hybrid bike to cycle to training and school, and after a day i brought the bike into the shop to have the front dérailleur adjusted.
    It was brought into the back of the shop, wheeled out again in 3 mins, and off i went.
    Straightaway I came back, because now the bike wouldnt gear down properly.
    he fixed it again, and told me that i should overextend the left gear lever in order to go into third(biggest ring) on left.
    While cycling back i did exactly that, and the chain jumped clear over 3rd ring, stuck between the ring and the chain guard and the chain just froze in place. I hurt my knee because i fell off, and really pissed off this time i wheeled it 2 miles back to the shop to explain what had happened.
    The owner apologised and said that if i left it there overnight he'd have it fixed for me in the morning.
    My dad picked it up, and after school I took it for a test spin round the estate.
    The gears arent working, to change to third on the left i have to overtwist the Revoshift Shimano gears to a ridiculous extent, and it wont go between 1 amd 2 properly. Also, there is far too much chain rub on nearly every middle gear.
    What should i do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Take it to someone who knows what they are doing. A properly adjusted derailer shouldn't be able to throw a chain.
    Triples are had to get right, but it is possible to get them right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Find a better shop or look for Mr.Skeffington on this forum (he smokes cigars and says "I love it when a bike comes together").

Honestly, the guy made several attempts at adjusting your gears (apparently) and while it can be quite fiddly, for a bike shop it should be the kind of thing they can do blindfolded. It sounds like laziness, i.e. he never bothered or even worse, complete incompetence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

+1 on what Dirk said.

It can be a bit fiddly but it's something that a proper mechanic should sort in 3 minutes, test and then readjust in 2 more if necessary. What part of the country are you in and someone might be able to recommend a better LBS for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Take the time to figure out how it works/and how to set it up properly yourself...it will be quicker by the sounds of it than a return trip.
    Plus youll KNOW it is right and will be more competent to take on other jobs as they pop up...think of it as a learning opportunity!
    (and dont darken the door of that shop again!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mucked up my front triple shifter last week (only noticed on sunday when i was out)
    had a look last night, i had pulled the cable too tight so the shifting was out, released cable tightened properly and all was well

like everyone says a bike shop should be able to get shifting spot on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

the bike is new right? could be too much bother, but id rather take my business to someone who knows or cares for what they are doing.

Advertisement