Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time build

Options
  • 01-09-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Hi.

As the title says, this is my first build. So i'm just after some recommendations as far as components go.

What i need

case
    motherboard
    cpu

Everything else i have, i think(dvd, hdd, psu, RAM), or will be upgrading at a later date(graphics).

I guess mainly what i want to know, but know little about, is the MB and CPU. Don't need anything high end, mid range would do for me. Though on the MB, i'd like to have optical audio and hdmi out. Would also need to be compatible with the RAM i already have(ddr2, though i guess that would be comp. with nearly all mb's?).

When considering a case, will i want to buy a separate fan, or will that come with the case or cpu/MC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

What PSU do you have?

Given that you have DDR2 RAM, that will restrict you to old components.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

for use to be able to give advise you would need to give the specs of the parts you have,

for example you could have low powered psu which would restrict gfx card etc

you've ddr2 ram meaning older components,

as for case id recommend Antec 900. has 9 3.5" bays , roomy enough for even the later gfx cards and keeps eveerything ice cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

Also, which mainboard is currently in use?
    And what do you need the upgrade for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

What PSU do you have?

Given that you have DDR2 RAM, that will restrict you to old components.

630 watt AXP cpu, not sure of the exact model number.

I'll buy the new RAM in that case.
    Skalragg wrote: »
    for use to be able to give advise you would need to give the specs of the parts you have,

as for case id recommend Antec 900. has 9 3.5" bays , roomy enough for even the later gfx cards and keeps eveerything ice cold

Looks like it might be a bit overkill for my needs.

Also, which mainboard is currently in use?
    And what do you need the upgrade for?

It's an old dual core Dell Dimension 5150. It's been on the wane for a while now, won't power up altogether now(solid amber light on the console). Done plenty of googling and it seem like it's most likely a MB/CPU issue that wouldn't be worth my while getting fixed. Tried the suggestions i did find like removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes, resetting the bios etc.

I've been browsing aroun various sites and i'm looking at this for the CPU or this

I'd be delighted if it could get everything i'll need for around abouts €300.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Not including a new HDD or discrete graphics, this comes to ~€285 shipped:

HWVS010910.png

Note that you do get a tri-core CPU and 4GB DDR3-1333 for your money. Mobo isn't the cheapest but it has onboard video with HDMI-out and decent onboard sounds with TOSLink (optical-out). Sadly, trying to add a new Samsung F3 500GB pushed it overbudget when taking shipping into account :o

If you really don't need a new HDD and fancy spending the entire €300 you can upgrade the CPU to the faster X3-445 (costs a fiver more) and grab a few extra 120/140mm case fans for that case.

• Advertisement

That's great, cheers. Gives me an idea of what i'm looking for and where to spend the money. I'll shop around and see what i can come up with.

Would yo ube able to recommen me a PSU to go along with that setup? Something cheap and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Corsair's 400W or 550W should suit that.

Advertisement