Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised Bed - Herb Garden

Options
  • 01-09-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm trying to get a herb garden going in a raised bed (6" x 3") and was looking for advice on
    (a) where is the cheapest place (woodies/homebase etc) to buy herb seeds i.e. thyme, lemon thyme, basil, rosemary, oregano, coriander. I just need enough to take a casual hand full off each every 2-3 weeks. Actually has anyone come across a starter herb kit, that could be ideal?
    (b) are herbs resilinent to frost?

Terence

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

terencemc wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I'm trying to get a herb garden going in a raised bed (6" x 3") and was looking for advice on
    (a) where is the cheapest place (woodies/homebase etc) to buy herb seeds i.e. thyme, lemon thyme, basil, rosemary, oregano, coriander. I just need enough to take a casual hand full off each every 2-3 weeks. Actually has anyone come across a starter herb kit, that could be ideal?
    (b) are herbs resilinent to frost?

Terence

rather than faff about with seeds (unless you'd like to), I just bought small pots of rosemary and sage and thyme from dunnes and started them off that way. For the rosemary, I'd pop it up again a sunny wall. It loves the sunshine and something to lean against. Put the thyme at the front/middle of the bed. It loves the sun.

The rosemary and thyme survived last years frost and snow as did the chives, and some golden oregano. There's no way the basil would.

Don't forget - plenty of drainage - herbs don't like their feet wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Check out www.quickcrop.ie , they were on Higher Ground on RTE earlier this year. They do seed mats for raised beds with all different types of herbs and all you do is just cover it with soil . HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

I got small plants from woodies @ 2-3 euro each plus some curly parsley in dunnes. I planted them in two troughs (I punched some extra holes at the bottom ot them) with lidl multi purpose compost as follows: parsley, chives, marjoram in one; thyme, chives, rosemary in the other. I've already had to trimmed them all down to keep them at bay and have given away most of it to friends. They grow very strongly! Oh and by the way, I'm a first timer! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

like inigo i got my herbs cheap in woddies and b&q. planted them in a small herb garden enclosed by railway sleepers. grew the coriander and chives from seeds. i grew spare plants incase the first lot didnt make it and ened up giving them away. unless you have a bigish area stay away from the mint variety as they grow vigeriously, unless of course you have the time to maintain them.if you can get some lemon balm or lemon scented verbeena for a nice smell when it rains and can be used to flavour drinks if your into that.

Advertisement