Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I stuck with Midband?

• 01-09-2010 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I will be moving into a new rented property for college next week. There is no land line or previous broadband connection. Is there a Package I can get from any of the IPS that doesn't require these things and wouldn't involve drilling walls and such?

If not exactly how much work is required to install broadband and has anyone had any prior experience with landlords and broadband?

Any help is welcome as I don't want to end up on 3 with their horror stories of 0.1mbs at peak times:(

EDIT: oh and the house is just off teh North Circular Road, Dublin btw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Does the property have an NTL/UPC tv connection? Its possible that you could get it and UPC are currently doing sudent deals where you don't pay for the final 3 months I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

If the landlord won't let you get anything installed, youre probaly out of luck!

There might be all the wiring in for a landline and it just hasn't been activated. You can take all four 3g operaters modems for a 7 day trial, try all and see which is best if you can't get broadband.

You could also try imagine wimax, but ive heard horror stories about that than i have about 3, not a good sign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mr_Gusty

Does the property have an NTL/UPC tv connection? Its possible that you could get it and UPC are currently doing sudent deals where you don't pay for the final 3 months I think
    i think the house does have a upc tv connection but not in my apartment. there fore i pay nothing toward the tv bill and it would complicate things too much if i added internet to that bill.

I had a situation here where the only decent option I had was UPC. My landlord pays the UPC bill so I asked if I could add the broadband onto my rent. He agreed and I amended the standing order accordingly. Would have been stuck with midband if I didn't go down this route.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mr_Gusty wrote: »
    i think the house does have a upc tv connection but not in my apartment.

The only TV you have is analogue and that will close down fairly soon.

UPC can often be persuaded to add an extra connection point for an apartment as part of their standard install cost, tell the landlord to order it and get an engineer out. Then insist on the second TV and BB point.

You are not in the garden shed owned by the crooked guard I hope :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Runs Cold

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The only TV you have is analogue and that will close down fairly soon.

UPC can often be persuaded to add an extra connection point for an apartment as part of their standard install cost, tell the landlord to order it and get an engineer out. Then insist on the second TV and BB point.

:p

UPC have no immediate plans re analogue switch off it is not even scheduled.

customers are not in a position to "demand" extra work to be done by our contractors when the job is not scheduled.

an apartment constitutes a seperate address so the landlords account has nothing to do with the seperate apartment.

Advertisement