Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualified electrician needing help....

Options
  • 01-09-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey everyone im a first time poster so hope this is in the right place.

Well as my heading says im a qualified electrician, i qualified about 3 years ago but unfortunately my training was nearly non existent as i was used more as a labourer than anything else. How i passed my exams il never know? And as soon as i did pass them i was let go and have been afraid to try another electrical job since due to my lack of knowledge. I can do the basics wiring lights and sockets but with switching and fuseboards and that id be lost.
    So im looking for help, like a refreshers course or some place or site where i can get all the help i need thats easy to understand. Im currently unemployed and lost in life so any help from anyone would be greaty appreciated. thanks.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you can learn quite a bit debating here -i did anyway:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hisense

Cheers for the reply superg, that info seems fairly drived towards siemens products and not really what im looking for after having a look through it.
    Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

hisense wrote: »
    but with switching and fuseboards and that id be lost.

In what way?
    Post what questions you have, no need to be shy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Cheers for the reply superg, that info seems fairly drived towards siemens products and not really what im looking for after having a look through it.
    Thanks anyway.

Yeah they're stuff gets mentioned alright but the course stuff is still some good stuff.We got pointed to this website when in tech for Phase 4.

Anyway as Davy says post questions about stuff,there's some good lads in here that can answer most things.I'm still learning the trade and have found this place and the lads in it invaluable for extra learning:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

If you are unemployed, try fas they run refresher courses. if you go to their website and search courses.

https://jobbank.fas.ie/servlet/Watis?SESS=33485_11&REQUEST=WWW_JS_TRAIN_SHOWCOURSES&BACK=TEMPLATE%3DWWW_JS_TRAIN_CRITERIUM_SELECT.HTM

there is some on this link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

great link, thanks

edit: To OP, do you still have your P2,P4,P6 books, if so be worth starting off at the P2 stuff and work your way through the course again now that you have a bit of time on your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hey everyone im a first time poster so hope this is in the right place.

Well as my heading says im a qualified electrician, i qualified about 3 years ago but unfortunately my training was nearly non existent as i was used more as a labourer than anything else. How i passed my exams il never know? And as soon as i did pass them i was let go and have been afraid to try another electrical job since due to my lack of knowledge. I can do the basics wiring lights and sockets but with switching and fuseboards and that id be lost.
    So im looking for help, like a refreshers course or some place or site where i can get all the help i need thats easy to understand. Im currently unemployed and lost in life so any help from anyone would be greaty appreciated. thanks.:confused:

Hands on in jobs is the best way to learn really in the practical stuff, i found that it was like a second apprenticeship after the apprenticeship itself especially as i went from ESB to industrial sites at the start of the 90`s after being apprentice. At the present time there is not much work on to go that route. Wiring a house with another electrician etc would be good, especially if its someone that does`t mind going through everything with you as you go.
    Go through the P2, P4 stuff again seems a good suggestion, that seems a good idea if your not doing anything else.

Advertisement