Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Cheers Daniel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Levy out

Levy out

Strong stuff, but I have to say, Im fcuking disgusted. But I'm not surprised one bit, we have seen it all before. So AVB is expected to get CL football with the strikers we currently have, fcuk off Levy. AVB would probably have got more to spend if we were 7th or 8th

Much like HR, who Levy believed had brought us as far as he could, I think DL's time is up.

He has done plenty of good work for us over the years. But he has made far too many bad decisions regarding managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Strong stuff, but I have to say, Im fcuking disgusted. But I'm not surprised one bit, we have seen it all before. So AVB is expected to get CL football with the strikers we currently have, fcuk off Levy. AVB would probably have got more to spend if we were 7th or 8th

Cool the jets mate, 50mins to go!
    patience_yoda-23672.jpg

• Advertisement

Cool the jets mate, 50mins to go!
    patience_yoda-23672.jpg

The best it's gonna get at this stage is Diame I'd imagine.. do you think he has someone up his sleeve ?

The best it's gonna get at this stage is Diame I'd imagine.. do you think he has someone up his sleeve ?

Quinner reckons he might? It's getting pretty late in the day but you never know. Quinn could be just plugging for the Sky ratings!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

So Arsenal have Giroud, Walcott and Podolski
    Everton have Jelavic, Anichebe, Mirallas and Vellios
    Liverpool have Suarez, Sturridge and Borini
    Chelsea have Torres and Ba
    Spurs have Defoe, Adebayor, Dempsey and Bale

Much of a muchness really. I'd say we probably have the best options but it's a matter of opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Ormus wrote: »
    So Arsenal have Giroud, Walcott and Podolski
    Everton have Jelavic, Anichebe, Mirallas and Vellios
    Liverpool have Suarez, Sturridge and Borini
    Chelsea have Torres and Ba
    Spurs have Defoe, Adebayor, Dempsey and Bale

Much of a muchness really. I'd say we probably have the best options but it's a matter of opinion.

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

• Advertisement

Get your fcuking finger out lads and make sure the best player we have had in a long long time, stays with us. It's do or die now, spend well now or we play for 6th spot next season because the 4 that finished above us will all be stronger next season.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

the 4 that finished above us will all be stronger next season.

..and three of them will be settling in with new managers...now's the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal fan in peace.

Just read that Bale is staying on. I think Daniel Levy might be your player of the season next year if he keeps this work up.

Super guy to have behind the wheel IMO.

I like a good Spurs/Arsenal rivalry though. The Europa league was what cost you this season I reckon.

Think you might be advised to take it less seriously next season. Get in the CL proper and then keep Bale and add to the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

gosplan wrote: »
    Arsenal fan in peace.

Just read that Bale is staying on. I think Daniel Levy might be your player of the season next year if he keeps this work up.

I like a good Spurs/Arsenal rivalry though. The Europa league was what cost you this season I reckon.

Think you might be advised to take it less seriously next season. Get in the CL proper and then keep Bale and add to the squad.

You're dead right. Most here feel the games against Basle/Inter Milan, especially those that went to extra time, had a big impact on the team. AVB took the competition seriously, playing the first team for all matches, but it was just too much. I hope he learns from this experience and gets his priorities right, especially towards the business end of next season.

If Levy manages to get Bale on a new contract he'll have done very well. I think we all know he'll be gone after next season if we don't get CL anyway, so this deal will just help to ensure the club gets top dollar for him in the event of that happening.

I also like the North London rivalry and would have loved if it was Arsenal and Spurs in the top 4 at the expense of Chelsea, but I was in lala land hoping for that to happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

gosplan wrote: »
    Arsenal fan in peace.

There were lots of points during the season I think we could blame like the start of the season when we conceded an equalising goal in every other match in the last ten minutes to the Europa League to a lack of strikers.

Levy has revitalised the club after the Sugar years and it's nice to have something riding on the derbys again and not just pride.

He is one of the most important members of the club now.

There were lots of points during the season I think we could blame like the start of the season when we conceded an equalising goal in every other match in the last ten minutes to the Europa League to a lack of strikers.

Levy has revitalised the club after the Sugar years and it's nice to have something riding on the derbys again and not just pride.

He is one of the most important members of the club now.

Well said, it's amazing how many people forget how it was pre-Levy, we used to go full seasons with the likes of Stuart Nethercott in central defence, or with only Steffan Iversen up front and no sub striker. Then we'd inexplicably waste like 6m on a left back Ben Thatcher and be left trying to make loan signings from the Championship like Andy Booth up front.

There was no logic, no plan, little funds, no ambition, hardly any squad to speak of. If it wasn't for Teddy Sheringham we would have been relegated at least once.

Well said, it's amazing how many people forget how it was pre-Levy, we used to go full seasons with the likes of Stuart Nethercott in central defence, or with only Steffan Iversen up front and no sub striker. Then we'd inexplicably waste like 6m on a left back Ben Thatcher and be left trying to make loan signings from the Championship like Andy Booth up front.

There was no logic, no plan, little funds, no ambition, hardly any squad to speak of. If it wasn't for Teddy Sheringham we would have been relegated at least once.

Yet Alan Sugar has the nerve to undermine Levy any chance he gets on Twitter. I follow him coz game days it was funny reading some of his tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

we'll never be a force under ENIC, this has been proven beyond any doubt

ENIC are not prepared up to invest the nessessary funds to make us serious contenders.
    They will spend just enough to keep us sniffing around 4th/5th but no more then this.

Pushing the boat out a little further to bring some ready made top quality players would give us a great chance of establishing ourselves in Europe's elite, sadly ENIC do not have the foresight.

I fear we'll end up sniffing around Fulham or West Ham for Bale's replacement at 11:30 on 31 August.

I hope I wrong obviously, but history tells us that's how ENIC works

Zokora for Carrick
    Campbell for Berbatov
    Dempsey for Modric
    Rasiak for Kaoute

The list goes on.......

we'll never be a force under ENIC, this has been proven beyond any doubt

ENIC are not prepared up to invest the nessessary funds to make us serious contenders.
    They will spend just enough to keep us sniffing around 4th/5th but no more then this.

Pushing the boat out a little further to bring some ready made top quality players would give us a great chance of establishing ourselves in Europe's elite, sadly ENIC do not have the foresight.

I fear we'll end up sniffing around Fulham or West Ham for Bale's replacement at 11:30 on 31 August.

I hope I wrong obviously, but history tells us that's how ENIC works

Zokora for Carrick
    Campbell for Berbatov
    Dempsey for Modric
    Rasiak for Kaoute

The list goes on.......

Yet there is talks of Bale being offered a new £150k+ contract. If that happens it does go a small way to showing you that things are changing a small bit. The one thing that has always been constant in anything is change and football is no different. It seems to me like we're adapting to the change quite well.

But at the end of the day Spurs are a business. They have pumped alot of money into the club since taking over from Alan Sugar. Built a new training centre and close to getting the Stadium in full motion. This to me shows that they do care about the club, whether it to be to help line their pockets I dont know but Levy is a genuine Spurs fan. All those movements in the player department is starting to fizzle out a little bit. I'd much prefer the gradual incline in progression that we've been having since Sugar has left than a continued mediocracy we experienced in the 90's (albeit I was very young then).

I really cannot see how any Spurs fan old enough can be so negative about the owner and Chairman. If Chelsea and Man City didn't have wealthy owners who pump far too much money into their clubs who knows where we'd be right now.

Our club has been run as correct as a club can be run and that's one of the things I'm proud of as a Spurs fan.

ENIC and Levy are excellent business people in my opinion (ie they know how to make money). I don't hate them, I just think we'd be better off with owners who were a little more focused on improving the trophy count rather than the shareholder dividend.

1 trophy since 1999 (okay ENIC have only been there since 2001) is shocking for a club like Tottenham.

In fact, I think it's our worst run since the war

• Advertisement

I don't hate them, I just think we'd be better off with owners who were a little more focused on improving the trophy count rather than the shareholder dividend.

Apart from the odd FA Cup the only trophy worth winning is the EPL. Since ENIC took over only four teams (with either big stadiums and/or obscenely wealthy owners) have managed to win it..

I'm fairly happy with our progress. ENIC maybe priming us for a big sale but to do so requires building world class training facilities, a world class stadium and becoming Champions League regulars, keep 'er lit Daniel!

call me old fashioned but I miss Spurs winning trophies

5th place in the league and nothing else is not very glorious is it ?

5th isn't very glorious at all no.

But the fact remains that 4th place in the league is a bigger achievement in the modern game than winning the FA Cup, League Cup or Europa League.

It is old fashioned to still think of trophies as the be all and end all.

I'd prefer to come 4th in the Olympics than win the Community Games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

No its not glorious. But as others have stated It is hard for "normal" clubs to win trophies with some billionaires throwing their money around. We also have to compete with clubs who have far bigger gate receipts Like Arsenal and Man U. Money talks. Finishing fifth, just, is very dissapointing but it is way better than the previous "mid table mediocrity" we suffered for too long. Its heartbreaking finishing outside the top four like we did but it has been exciting at the same time. The club have made a slip up not signing a top striker last season but is going in the right direction. The only realistic way we gonna improve faster is for a gazillioneer to come in and throw around the cash. So even though everything in the garden ain't rosy, Fair play to Enic/Lewis/Levi for improving things steadily and making us a more exciting side to watch. Lets just hope they intend to put in the investment to keep that progress going.

DL has to make a lot of decisions .. most of them, like who to buy and sell and give contracts to are made in conjunction with others - coaches, managers, scouts etc. The only decision he must make by himself is on the manager. 10 so far. And nearly all of them have been awful. Good man DL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

DL has to make a lot of decisions .. most of them, like who to buy and sell and give contracts to are made in conjunction with others - coaches, managers, scouts etc. The only decision he must make by himself is on the manager. 10 so far. And nearly all of them have been awful. Good man DL.

Fair enough but how many of the ten managers previous to Enic era were world class? Maybe my memory aint the best but I cant name many. Martin Joel and Harry didn't do to badly when you compare what they had to work with in comparison to the bigger clubs. AVB is a good manager imo and is still in the process of putting his squad together. We have to be realistic, it is not just the chairman and the managers ability that counts. If other teams can buy better players than us, is that the fault of the manager or is that just economics. Nobody is saying things are fukn great but you can only to the best with what you can afford. AVB was given a poisoned chalise at Chelsea and hopefully that can turn out to be very fortunate for us. Keep up the good work Levi!

I can't help thinking you don't understand football much.

Try thinking how many teams have had great managers in the Premiership have had mainly good managers, apart from United and Arsenal obviously.

I think we've done amazingly well to have 'Arry, Jol and now AVB in almost succession. It's very rare.

I think we've done amazingly well to have 'Arry, Jol and now AVB in almost succession. It's very rare.

Well if you throw enough muck at a wall, eventually some of it will stick I suppose.

If your happy with a Chairman who appoints the wrong person for the job 7 out of 10 times, good for you.

• Advertisement

Well if you throw enough muck at a wall, eventually some of it will stick I suppose.

If your happy with a Chairman who appoints the wrong person for the job 7 out of 10 times, good for you.

Thanks, I am!

When you consider that about 98% of managers turn out to be wrong for the job, we have done superbly with 3 good managers in the last 4.

You gotta understand the game. The job of manager is the quintessential vicious circle. It's always gonna be a merrygoround cos so many clubs get a temporary boost just by changing manager.

Advertisement