Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

hopefully Levy will pull a rabbit out of a hat and give us all something to get excited about, it's the hope that kills you ;)

Hope can be a dangerous thing ;)

Personally I'll be excited about next season anyway, especially if that Welsh guy with the sweet left foot stays for one more season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Ormus wrote: »
    Hope can be a dangerous thing ;)

Personally I'll be excited about next season anyway, especially if that Welsh guy with the sweet left foot stays for one more season.

indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

A pretty informative interview with one of our non-executive directors:

On Bale:

“We very much want Bale to stay.” But, when pressed, he accepts: “If a player is desperate to leave, it’s very difficult to force him to stay. We’ve seen it in other clubs. Even if he has a contract, you can’t force somebody to play for you.”

“That’s precisely the issue,” he says. “So this summer, we are investing in a great squad and we hope that provides us with Champions League football next year and we start to win trophies, FA Cups. That’s what Tottenham need. We have made some good acquisitions.”

On signings:

“There are others in the pipeline,” he promises.

“Strikers are very high on AVB’s list of priorities and Daniel [Levy, the chairman] is trying hard to make sure we have strength up front. It’s a really exciting time to be at the club.”

On AVB:

“He’s done a great job. He is very professional, uses statistics and the technology in a very intelligent and considered way.”

“He has built a lot of confidence and trust with the players. His job is to get the best out of every player and he does it very well.”

On the new stadium:

“It’s very difficult for us to keep pace with a United or an Arsenal who can bring in 60,000-plus when our capacity is 37,000. We don’t have the marketing and sponsorship of the Emirates or Old Trafford. We don’t generate their match-day income. A new stadium equals substantial additional revenues which will enable us to fund the quality of players we need to get to the Champions League. And being in that League will produce more money. That’s why the stadium is so important.”

The new stadium can only go ahead when £350m funding is secured. To do that, the club need to sell the naming rights. “We don’t have that in place and that’s an integral part of the financing,” says Mills. “Once we get that, it’ll open up the rest of the funding.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-director-we-want-bale-to-stay-but-if-hes-desperate-to-go-we-cant-force-him-to-play-for-us-8747976.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

“We very much want Bale to stay.” But, when pressed, he accepts: “If a player is desperate to leave, it’s very difficult to force him to stay. We’ve seen it in other clubs. Even if he has a contract, you can’t force somebody to play for you.”

Says it all really. Bale wants to leave, the club want him to stay. The club will try to convince him to stay, if they can't he can go (for top $$$)

Where's Ormus? I've a quote from AVB to rub in his face :P:P

And ahead of Sunday afternoon’s clash with Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium, Villas-Boas revealed: “We had meetings over there and the owner and the chairman were present. We outlined the future."

“So it was the beginning of what we have put together. There has been great investment from the club. We want to be there with the elite. The money has been put forward and re-invested back into the team. A list of potential targets was drawn up in the knowledge that Real would go up to £85million for Bale."

Who's this owner fella??:P:P

• Advertisement

Where's Ormus? I've a quote from AVB to rub in his face :P:P

And ahead of Sunday afternoon’s clash with Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium, Villas-Boas revealed: “We had meetings over there and the owner and the chairman were present. We outlined the future."

“So it was the beginning of what we have put together. There has been great investment from the club. We want to be there with the elite. The money has been put forward and re-invested back into the team. A list of potential targets was drawn up in the knowledge that Real would go up to £85million for Bale."

Who's this owner fella??:P:P

Haha fair enough, can't argue with that.

I really wish it wasn't like that though, I hoped Spurs were better than City, United and Chelsea cos we were a properly run club which didn't depend on a sugar daddy to buy success. I still hope that's partly true, otherwise we're effectively just supporting a club in a 'who has the biggest wallet competition'.

I thought the whole point of Enic etc was to have separation of powers and rub the club fairly as a business.

I thought that was the way Joe Lewis wanted his beloved Spurs to be run.

I guess if AVB calls him the owner, he must be pretty much just that. Still hope that rumoured £50m loan isn't true. C'mon Joe, fight the clean fight!

Haha fair enough, can't argue with that.

I really wish it wasn't like that though, I hoped Spurs were better than City, United and Chelsea cos we were a properly run club which didn't depend on a sugar daddy to buy success. I still hope that's partly true, otherwise we're effectively just supporting a club in a 'who has the biggest wallet competition'.

I thought the whole point of Enic etc was to have separation of powers and rub the club fairly as a business.

I thought that was the way Joe Lewis wanted his beloved Spurs to be run.

I guess if AVB calls him the owner, he must be pretty much just that. Still hope that rumoured £50m loan isn't true. C'mon Joe, fight the clean fight!

Not sure you were that wrong though. Lewis is the owner and CEO of Tavistock, Tavistock own ENIC, ENIC own Spurs.

We're diligently run as a business but Lewis is the owner. A £50m intertest free loan over 5yrs is a cheap way of raising finance.

Lewis is a smart business man, we're not his toy, but he is our owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

if we did get a 50m loan from JL..It's still sitting there waiting to be used. One hopes......

if we did get a 50m loan from JL..It's still sitting there waiting to be used. One hopes......

Dirty money, I want no part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

No prob, Take the money, spend, shower and enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

If its a loan then it's a debt we'd have to pay back, that's very different to simply having an infinite blank chequebook.

If its a loan then it's a debt we'd have to pay back, that's very different to simply having an infinite blank chequebook.

We would in theory have to pay it back yeah. In theory.

Has anyone revised their position on our Chairman after this weeks events ?

Yep, I believe the expression used to be "you've been Levy'd"

It would appear "we're being Levy'd"

I hate him more than ever, does that count?

**hate is a strong word, 'suppose I like many other had softened my opinion on him over the summer with all the new players and the great deal he got for Bale, but I'm back to the way I felt about him 2-3 years ago.

From the Belfast telegraph

Brendan Rodgers, the Liverpool manager, has described Tottenham Hotspur's attempt to hire him as manager last year as a "close shave" and declared, while dismissing the notion of considering another job offer from White Hart Lane, that the north London club's frequent sacking of managers put him off any idea of working for them.

The Northern Irishman accepted Liverpool's offer rather than that of Spurs chairman, Daniel Levy, though the Football Association's decision to appoint Roy Hodgson, rather than Harry Redknapp, as England manager was the most crucial factor in Rodgers ending up at Anfield. It delayed Redknapp's departure from Spurs until June 2012, by which time Liverpool's owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) had entered the picture, having also decided that Andre Villas-Boas should not advance beyond their own shortlist as they sought to replace Kenny Dalglish.

"One of the things I looked at was the history," Rodgers said of Spurs' approach yesterday. "They'd had 11 managers in 18 years there so for someone like myself, I needed to create something, I needed to go to a club that was going to give us that opportunity..."

Michael Laudrup: 'I would turn down Tottenham Hotspur job'

michael-laudrup-swansea.jpg© AFP

Tweet

By Darren Plant, Reporter
    Filed: Friday, December 20, 2013 at 14:32 UKLast Updated: Friday, December 20, 2013 at 14:33 UK

Swansea City boss Michael Laudrup has admitted that he is 'flattered' to be linked with the vacant managerial position at Tottenham Hotspur.

Laudrup is one of several names that have been mentioned as a replacement for Andre Villas-Boas, but the Dane has insisted that he has no intention of leaving Swansea in the middle of the season.

The 49-year-old told reporters: "It's always flattering when others are talking about you. Tottenham are a big club, but the only thing that I will say is that I would never leave a club in the middle of the season.

"I've never done that as a player and a manager, and it wont happen in the future either."

Ajax coach Frank de Boer is the favourite with several bookmakers to be offered the role at White Hart Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

No I always knew he was a tool :D

BTW Not for sacking AVB but for not having a plan B in place (bit like AVB there no plan B). Deadwood in charge is more like a plan Z :(

Anyone heard or seen of Mister Ormus lately ... Just reading back the first 15 pages of this thread and he wouldn't have a bad word said about Mr Levy. Wonder if he has changed his opinion ??? Genuinely wondering was his thoughts are now...

• Advertisement

Anyone heard or seen of Mister Ormus lately ... Just reading back the first 15 pages of this thread and he wouldn't have a bad word said about Mr Levy. Wonder if he has changed his opinion ??? Genuinely wondering was his thoughts are now...[/QUOTE]

me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Telegraph reporting Baldini Offered to resign the day AVB left.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10533062/Tottenham-Hotspur-rejected-Franco-Baldinis-offer-of-resignation-following-departure-of-Andre-Villas-Boas.html

It's also all over twitter that AVB wanted to quit the day we failed to sign Moutinho, that he fell out with Levy cos he felt he didn't back him and that Lamela was never an AVB signing, all Baldini.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Our club is in turmoil because of these lads. It feels like we're back in the 1990's!

Seriously. If Tim Sherwood was the answer, what was the fcuking question?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

We should give Tim a chance before we knock him, he may just get us playing the style and formation we supporters wish for using the full squad

Anyone heard or seen of Mister Ormus lately ... Just reading back the first 15 pages of this thread and he wouldn't have a bad word said about Mr Levy. Wonder if he has changed his opinion ??? Genuinely wondering was his thoughts are now...[/QUOTE]

me too

*bump*

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I don't particularly care what his thoughts are, but since you do why don't you PM him? that would be a far more effective means of communication than bumping this thread.

I don't particularly care what his thoughts are, but since you do why don't you PM him? that would be a far more effective means of communication than bumping this thread.

Ooh dear. Perhaps you better send me a list of other opinion/topic you aren't interested in, God forbid they'd be discussed openly on an open forum right here on this ... den!-de!-den! - open forum! Better PM them though, you know - just incase others don't care what your thoughts are.

You're the one who wants to know, he hasn't replied to your earlier question so PM him, "god forbid" you'd use an ounce of common sense rather than have a "discussion" with yourself. Ignore the suggestion all you want, but why you'd want to post a reply in such a dickish manner is beyond me, insert what ever expletive fits >here<.

• Advertisement

You're the one who wants to know, he hasn't replied to your earlier question so PM him, "god forbid" you'd use an ounce of common sense rather than have a "discussion" with yourself. Ignore the suggestion all you want, but why you'd want to post a reply in such a dickish manner is beyond me, insert what ever expletive fits >here<.

Alright then, when I read your response yesterday I interpreted it as you saying that you were not interested in Ormus or my views/opinions and that we'd be better of keeping them to ourselves via PM's, which frankly, I didn't appreciate. If that's not what you meant then I withdraw my sarcastic response.

The only reason I bumped the thread was because Ormus hasn't used the this spurs forum in quite some time but yesterday he re-appeared and was replying in some of the more active threads such as the Man U game thread and the Ade thread.

Anyway, as I pointed out about 7-8 posts back , Ormus has consistently defended DL over the life span of this thread (which is 3 years old and has nearly 400 posts) and i thought we'd all (or most of us) would like to hear his opinions now considering recent events, much like we did in relation to Saab Ed and his AVB views last season.

Advertisement