Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

markesmith wrote: »
    I'd sooner be in the position we're in now than be Wigan (FA Cup holders) or Birmingham (beat the Gooners in the League Cup there a few years back).

I think we've got the sixth-biggest income in the EPL. We are at our level, and punching slightly above it some seasons.

It beats the dreaded '90s, with a 14th-place finish being spun as 'consolidation'.

The 2 teams you mention are the exception rather than the rule, what clubs normally win trophies ? The most ambitious ones, from what I've seen ENIC don't seem to be very ambitious about Spurs. 13 years, 9 managers, 1 trophy, 1 CL qualification, a next to nothing net spend and an average league position of around 7th.

Sorry if I'm not over the moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Liverpool decided to keep Suarez no matter what, that's the difference.

It's a shame that our lot don't put the football first in the agenda.

In fairness, that comparison makes absolutely no sense. Liverpool keeping Suarez last summer and getting him to sign a new contract last month is no different to Spurs refusing to sell Modric in 2011 or getting Bale to sign a contract in 2012.

Liverpool did not receive an 80m offer for Suarez. I believe there is nothing more certain in football than the almost certainty that Suarez will not be a Liverpool player next season.

Also, talk of Spurs not being as ambitious as certain other teams is also very unfair. Two teams in particular are financed by Sugar Daddies and do not have to worry about abiding by normal business rules. To describe any teams who can't compete financially with these sides as "lacking in ambition" is simply wrong.

Martin567 wrote: »
    In fairness, that comparison makes absolutely no sense. Liverpool keeping Suarez last summer and getting him to sign a new contract last month is no different to Spurs refusing to sell Modric in 2011 or getting Bale to sign a contract in 2012.

Liverpool did not receive an 80m offer for Suarez. I believe there is nothing more certain in football than the almost certainty that Suarez will not be a Liverpool player next season.

Also, talk of Spurs not being as ambitious as certain other teams is also very unfair. Two teams in particular are financed by Sugar Daddies and do not have to worry about abiding by normal business rules. To describe any teams who can't compete financially with these sides as "lacking in ambition" is simply wrong.

I disagree, Modric and Berbatov were under contract at Spurs for at least another 2 seasons when Levy took the money. There's no way we had to sell them.

Arsenal bid 40mil for Suarez and Liverpool refused to sell, Man Utd bid 30mil for Berbatov and Levy sold. Very similar circumstances, It's not complicated.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Arsenal bid 40mil for Suarez and Liverpool refused to sell, Man Utd bid 30mil for Berbatov and Levy sold. Very similar circumstances, It's not complicated.

Soooo, how does liverpool selling torres fit into your simple and not complicated argument? Exception to the rule? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

There was no particular indication that Suarez wanted to move to Arsenal. That is a significant difference with the Spurs sales.

Spurs refused to sell Modric to Chelsea in 2011 when he wanted to go. A club has to have some stability. They can't carry on indefinitely with a player effectively on strike and a different story in the paper every day. That will inevitably have a huge effect on the pitch.

Nobody pursued Suarez last summer in a similar way to those Spurs players. Next summer will be very different for Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Soooo, how does liverpool selling torres fit into your simple and not complicated argument? Exception to the rule? :P

I suppose they thought he was past his best (which has been proven to be correct) but I guess we'll never really know.

I'm not sure if it were the current owners that sold him or the previous ones.

Martin567 wrote: »
    There was no particular indication that Suarez wanted to move to Arsenal. That is a significant difference with the Spurs sales.

Spurs refused to sell Modric to Chelsea in 2011 when he wanted to go. A club has to have some stability. They can't carry on indefinitely with a player effectively on strike and a different story in the paper every day. That will inevitably have a huge effect on the pitch.

Nobody pursued Suarez last summer in a similar way to those Spurs players. Next summer will be very different for Liverpool.

I believe levy won't do business with Chelsea because of the arnesen saga,

All I'm saying is that it would be nice if we kept our best players sometimes, like Liverpool did with Suarez. You never have to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I disagree, Modric and Berbatov were under contract at Spurs for at least another 2 seasons when Levy took the money. There's no way we had to sell them.

How many seasons apart were they? £30m at the time was £2m off the British record right?

Players have inflated largely since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Ormus wrote: »
    It's true we didn't adequately replace Berba/Keane, and there was a time when we left too many signings too late, but they seem to have seen the error of their ways on that.

You were saying?;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

You were saying?;)

It's the beginning of the month, so what are you actually implying? Maybe you're being a bit quick on the trigger?

• Advertisement

It's the beginning of the month, so what are you actually implying? Maybe you're being a bit quick on the trigger?

No doubt I am, the Defoe deal has only just been announced. In a jovial sort of way I'm saying we shall soon see if they have seen the error of their ways in this regard. Is that ok with you?;)

No doubt I am, the Defoe deal has only just been announced. In a jovial sort of way I'm saying we shall soon see if they have seen the error of their ways in this regard. Is that ok with you?;)

I see stupid posts, I'll call them out. Some very sensitive posters on this forum though.

I see stupid posts, I'll call them out. Some very sensitive posters on this forum though.

My post was a follow up on the debate of not replacing our top players after selling them, I thought this might be a good test of whether Ormus' theory is correct.

That is what I am actually implying. Are you engaging in the debate or just trolling today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

My post was a follow up on the debate of not replacing our top players after selling them, I thought this might be a good test of whether Ormus' theory is correct.

That is what I am actually implying. Are you engaging in the debate or just trolling today?

I'm guessing he was a bit baffled by the timing.

There is no real way I can respond to this before the window closes.

Asking a question is trolling in your mind? Christ on a bike.

No, i am not trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Lads be nice, we are all on the same side here ;)

Asking a question is trolling in your mind? Christ on a bike.

No, i am not trolling.

Jeeez man, I asked a question, you jumped on it, I went as far to explain myself, you call it stupidity and sensitivity. No, of course you're not trolling. End of.

Anyway, the reason I visited this thread was to propose a question, should Levy & Co. replace our record premier league goal scorer that they've just sold? And more importantly should it be a player of lesser, equal or better quality. If not better, have they failed to see the error of their ways?

Jeeez man, I asked a question, you jumped on it, I went as far to explain myself, you call it stupidity and sensitivity. No, of course you're not trolling. End of.

Anyway, the reason I visited this thread was to propose a question, should Levy & Co. replace our record premier league goal scorer that they've just sold? And more importantly should it be a player of lesser, equal or better quality. If not better, have they failed to see the error of their ways?

He may be our record premier league goalscorer but the reality is that he's a poor option. He's always likely to get a goal against weaker opposition but his overall play isn't up to scratch. Great servant to the club and all that.

I think we should try to get the best striker we can to replace him. However, I don't think we should be held to ransom for some European mercenary just to appease the fans. January is amateur hour in the transfer market.

Don't expect a magical problem solving signing here
    ENIC won't pay the wages to secure such a solution
    Mido Mk II or someone from Villa - that's what we do

We do tend to live within our means alright :P

• Advertisement

Don't expect a magical problem solving signing here
    ENIC won't pay the wages to secure such a solution
    Mido Mk II or someone from Villa - that's what we do

I agree with you for once DublinSpur

ENIC went top dollar wages wise for Van der Vaart, Adebayor and Soldado, but they're unlikely to get suckered in January unless something irresistible crops up.

It's possible Defoe won't be replaced til the summer. If that happens we gotta hope Kane is ready to make the step up, Adebayor stays interested and Soldado gets his confidence back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Isn't Defoe with the club until mid march? So it's a replacement for 2.5 months of a player we don't see on the pitch much anyway.

Don't see us signing anyone of note. I think there'll be little movement in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Maybe Levy will tempt Saha out of retirement.

Maybe Levy will tempt Saha out of retirement.

What's Raziak up to these days?

We do tend to live within our means alright :P

do we ?

ENIC's means are immence - the problem is that they chose not to dip into them for the football club they own.

Shame, we could be great.....

do we ?

ENIC's means are immence - the problem is that they chose not to dip into them for the football club they own.

Shame, we could be great.....

Yep, if we lived outside our sustainable means, we could be Chelsea

you mean multiple premier league champions and ex european champions Chelsea ?

ENIC are Spurs and Spurs are ENIC,
    ENIC are worth billions, it would be nice to see a tiny % of that wealth sent in Spurs direction. If they were really cleaver they'd realise that they'd probabably make the money back + more if it lead to a a new sucessful period for the club.

Alas they are not really interested in sucees on the field, TV money, sponsership deals and fooling some supporters into thinking they really care about soul of the club is more to their style.

Some day we will all see that the emperor is wearing no clothes and it will give me no pleasure to point out that this had been the case for years.

you mean multiple premier league champions and ex european champions Chelsea ?

ENIC are Spurs and Spurs are ENIC,
    ENIC are worth billions, it would be nice to see a tiny % of that wealth sent in Spurs direction. If they were really cleaver they'd realise that they'd probabably make the money back + more if it lead to a a new sucessful period for the club.

Alas they are not really interested in sucees on the field, TV money, sponsership deals and fooling some supporters into thinking they really care about soul of the club is more to their style.

Some day we will all see that the emperor is wearing no clothes and it will give me no pleasure to point out that this had been the case for years.

Yep, the same Chelsea, not disputing that they're successful at all.

ENIC are not Spurs. Spurs are not ENIC.

It's hilarious that you think you can see how they could make more money, but they're not clever enough to see it. I want you to really think about that. How likely is it that you're more clever than ENIC, a multi billion pound company.

I mean, I don't know you, so it's not impossible that you're a genius businessman who will one day be worth more than Joe Lewis. If that is the case, I'm sorry I doubted you.

do we ?

Overall, yes we do. Occasionally we spend more than we bring in but in general we are financially stable.

ENIC's money is it's own, separate to spurs' business. I'm very much in favour of football clubs being self sufficient - not exceeding what they generate and not building up massive debts.

• Advertisement

At the end of the day lads the capital spend on transfers during the summer was cost neutral. There is more money coming into the club than players sold e.g. TV money is huge.

I think this window will show us ENIC's true colours. We are getting a good deal for Defoe but we will be a striker short for eleven premier league games (the run in) and the Europa League. If we don't strengthen and I accept its hard to find value for money in this window, we could be a laughing stock come April.

Yesterday showed us that although Defoe can't get into the team it's vital to have a proven goalscorer on the bench when you need to finish off a game. If we're playing 4-4-2 we need three strikers.

Advertisement