Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

I am not Joe Lewis/Enics biggest fan but we cannot complain about him this summer. We sold Bale ( anyone who thought we could hang onto him after a bid of 80m was made is delusional) and the club re invested the money and more into the first team. But in typical Spurs fashion we messed it up. This has echoes of the wonderful transfer window(s) a few seasons back when Liverpool spunked their money on Carroll, Downing, Henderson etc.
    Somehow the combination of Baldini/AVB/Levy decided we needed a lot of average players to replace one superstar. And lets be honest here the Soldado & Lamela transfers for a combined total of 54m ( I think) have been a total disaster. I was a big Lamela admirer but for 30m he has done absolutely nothing ( ok injured at the moment but when fit looks like a lost child). We as fans want heads to roll for this and the anger seems to be pointed at the owners. I totally agree with some of the earlier comments about our previous transfers ( the sale of Berba & Robbie to be left went Bent and Campbell is still unbelievable after all those years) but this summer the club put up and whoever was in charge of transfers messed up.
    As for the stadium plans - does anyone know what is happening? I was over at a game in WHL a few weeks ago and hoped to see some sign of rebuilding but all I saw was a new supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Ormus wrote: »
    Modric and Bale went to Real Madrid. There is nothing Tottenham Hotspur could do to be as attractive as Real.

There is 0% chance they would've stayed.

Nobody is denying Madrid are massive. What I am saying is that if we had of taken the chance while it was there, invested in some quality, stregthened at the right time, we'd quite possibly have qualified for the CL again, and we'd have been in a much better position to keep the likes of Bale/Modric.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Honestly lads, if you don't recognise ENICs ability to sell our best players and not replace them you've got blinkers on...

The fact of the matter is, we sell 'world class' players, but due to our resources we are unable to attract world class players.

Though, we have a different way of doing business. In 2006/07 we sold Michael Carrick. We all went mad because we were selling a brilliant player to a bigger team, but the next season we went out and bought Luka Modric (for £2m less).

I guess you were saying then, and throughout his first season, that we sold a brilliant player and replaced him with Modric. Yet, four years later we sold Modric as a World Class player and arguably the 2nd best player we've had in the past 20 years.

We can't attract a modern day Modric, we can't compete with his wages. But we can spend resources on scouting and find a 2007/08 Modric.

The lads we brought in this season are all of reputable quality. I personally think we stepped up the ladder in the quality we can sign i.e. Soldado and Lamela. We could not have signed players of their quality 3-5 years ago. I trust that they will come good.

golfball37 wrote: »
    ENIC showed their true intentions when they pursued the stadium in Stratford. Their intentions for the club are not in doubt so I don't know why they are been debated.

I still believe this is a strategic red herring. The Spurs bluffed because the Tottenham Council were not allowing them to build the stadium, they never considered that Spurs could leave the area. So, we put in a bid for the Olympic Stadium..... then all of a sudden the Tottenham Council are all ears.

I think it was quite clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

The lads we brought in this season are all of reputable quality. I personally think we stepped up the ladder in the quality we can sign i.e. Soldado and Lamela. We could not have signed players of their quality 3-5 years ago. I trust that they will come good.

I hope they come good too but I am not sure. Soldado is looking less and less like a 24m player as the season goes on. Lamela has done nothing so far but has been injured a lot. Sometimes it just does not work out. Look at Dani Osvaldo and Southampton. 6 months at the club and shipped out on loan to top of the table Juve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Are you serious?

World class players tend to want to play in the Champions League and be paid 200k a week.

You clearly don't have any grasp of how the transfer market works.

I'm actually slightly surprised we managed to get Soldado. Obviously it hasn't worked out, but he was as high profile a player as we could hope to sign.

You can make have a POV without setting out to slate my comment(try it some time).

Securing 4th place=Champions league football for season. Couple that with a push for the EPL in few years and I see no reason why we can't attract top class players and keep them in years to come.

Spurs are not Man City/PSG, we don't have bottomless pits of capital, therefore our ability to get these players in and keep them is dependant on our ability to push higher both domestically and in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Martin567 wrote: »
    I don't believe it's possible for Spurs to buy the type of player you refer to above.

That's what they want you to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

That's what they want you to believe

:D briliant, forum gold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I think you both missed my point. Without us receiving serious investment on the back of having a new stadium we will never be consistent top 4 challengers.

I'm not saying that's what I want. No more so than Man City fans wanted it before they were gifted a new stadium by the state and overnight became the richest club in the world.

I'm just saying that's the model of modern day football. As it stands, we will never be able to compete with Man City or Chelsea.

I honestly don't want that to happen, even if it's the only possible way to compete

The day the money we spend becomes more important than the football we play, I'll stop watching the football

I am not Joe Lewis/Enics biggest fan but we cannot complain about him this summer. We sold Bale ( anyone who thought we could hang onto him after a bid of 80m was made is delusional) and the club re invested the money and more into the first team. But in typical Spurs fashion we messed it up. This has echoes of the wonderful transfer window(s) a few seasons back when Liverpool spunked their money on Carroll, Downing, Henderson etc.
    Somehow the combination of Baldini/AVB/Levy decided we needed a lot of average players to replace one superstar. And lets be honest here the Soldado & Lamela transfers for a combined total of 54m ( I think) have been a total disaster. I was a big Lamela admirer but for 30m he has done absolutely nothing ( ok injured at the moment but when fit looks like a lost child). We as fans want heads to roll for this and the anger seems to be pointed at the owners. I totally agree with some of the earlier comments about our previous transfers ( the sale of Berba & Robbie to be left went Bent and Campbell is still unbelievable after all those years) but this summer the club put up and whoever was in charge of transfers messed up.
    As for the stadium plans - does anyone know what is happening? I was over at a game in WHL a few weeks ago and hoped to see some sign of rebuilding but all I saw was a new supermarket.

But that's the whole point, Spurs can't attract world class players, that's why we have to buy average players, or players with an average profile, and hope that they become world class while at the club. Then we hope to get a season or two with a world class player at the club before a Real Madrid come and poach him. It's sad but it's true.

• Advertisement

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Nobody is denying Madrid are massive. What I am saying is that if we had of taken the chance while it was there, invested in some quality, stregthened at the right time, we'd quite possibly have qualified for the CL again, and we'd have been in a much better position to keep the likes of Bale/Modric.

Ah yeah I see your point, and that would put us in a better position to keep them. But it still wouldn't have been enough. There is still no way they would have chosen Spurs over Madrid.

We can't attract a modern day Modric, we can't compete with his wages. But we can spend resources on scouting and find a 2007/08 Modric.

A very good point. Soldado and Lamela have been failures so far, but the fact that we were able to attract players of that high a profile shows that we are moving up in the world in terms of how players view us. We're still just a stepping stone and probably always will be, but we're a slightly bigger stepping stone than before.

On the other hand, the fact that the two boys have flopped will make the board less inclined to push the boat out in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Just think about this for a second.

Imagine if Soldado had 17-18 EPL goals by now. Where would we be? Probably 3rd or 4th place.
    AVB would be in charge, we'd be odds on for top4 finish and we'd be dreaming about an EPL challenge next season.
    We probably wouldn't be scrutanizing the other transfers as much and DL would be hailed as a genius for the Bale deal and the players brought in with the money.

So in conclusion, its all Soldado's fault. Ha

But seriously, my point is that the failure of one player to produce the goods has had a massive knock on effect on the overall season. I'm not saying there aren't other problems, clearly there are lots. But the good news is, that all it would take would be for things to click for Soldado (or someone else) next season and the sky is the limit. All is not lost. Yet.

All it takes is one player to turn losses into draws and draws into wins and this will have a knock on effect on players around him. The overall team confidence will get better and the new lads have a better chance of flourishing.

Just think about this for a second.

Imagine if Soldado had 17-18 EPL goals by now. Where would we be? Probably 3rd or 4th place.
    AVB would be in charge, we'd be odds on for top4 finish and we'd be dreaming about an EPL challenge next season.
    We probably wouldn't be scrutanizing the other transfers as much and DL would be hailed as a genius for the Bale deal and the players brought in with the money.

So in conclusion, its all Soldado's fault. Ha

But seriously, my point is that the failure of one player to produce the goods has had a massive knock on effect on the overall season. I'm not saying there aren't other problems, clearly there are lots. But the good news is, that all it would take would be for things to click for Soldado (or someone else) next season and the sky is the limit. All is not lost. Yet.

All it takes is one player to turn losses into draws and draws into wins and this will have a knock on effect on players around him. The overall team confidence will get better and the new lads have a better chance of flourishing.

Yeah very true. On the one hand we spent 80m or whatever this summer. On the other hand, we lost an 85m player and we spent 55m on two players who've had pretty much no impact.

If even one of them had performed as we hoped, the season would look very different.

EazyD wrote: »
    You can make have a POV without setting out to slate my comment(try it some time).

Securing 4th place=Champions league football for season. Couple that with a push for the EPL in few years and I see no reason why we can't attract top class players and keep them in years to come.

Spurs are not Man City/PSG, we don't have bottomless pits of capital, therefore our ability to get these players in and keep them is dependant on our ability to push higher both domestically and in Europe.

Sorry, maybe I went too far, but seriously, you're a long way from reality.

In years to come, maybe we'll be able to attract top class players, but it will mean being serious regular contenders for the league and shoo ins to qualify for Champions League.

Even then we'd probably need the new stadium in order to make it financially viable to pay players 200k a week, and even with all all of those ifs, we'd STILL only be a stepping stone to Real Madrid.

I think a stepping stone to Madrid is fair enough - it's annoying but they nearly always get their man

What's unacceptable is being a stepping stone to Utd (Carrick, Berbatov) and Liverpool (Keane). It's criminal to sell your best players to direct apponents, why would any forward thinking club do this ? The only exception I can remember is when we didn't sell Modric to Chelsea in 2011.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The only exception I can remember is when we didn't sell Modric to Chelsea in 2011.

Which is the most recent example, look, progression!

I watched Modric closely last night (in the Real/Athletico match). My, my how I miss him. Without a shadow of a doubt, I miss Modric more than Bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

What's unacceptable is being a stepping stone to Utd (Carrick, Berbatov) and Liverpool (Keane). It's criminal to sell your best players to direct apponents, why would any forward thinking club do this ? The only exception I can remember is when we didn't sell Modric to Chelsea in 2011.

Selling players to direct rivals hasn't happened for nearly six years and yet you're still complaining about it!

I think a stepping stone to Madrid is fair enough - it's annoying but they nearly always get their man

The point is that we'll always be a stepping stone to any club which is bigger than us.

It's a professional sport. Players wanna progress as far as they can in their profession.

So they're almost always gonna take the chance to move to a higher level.

Playing for United is a step up from playing for Spurs, present league position notwithstanding.

The Keane transfer was a strange one. 20m for Robbie Keane was too good to turn down, but I think we're at about the same level as Pool at the moment in regards to ability to attract or hold on to players. They're probably at the same point with Suarez as we were last season with Bale. They'll be lucky to keep him for another season, even if they do get 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 heidiklum

Christ ENIC have brought us a long way. Remember the days of Stuie Nethercott and big Doc!!!

In Levy we trust.

heidiklum wrote: »
    Christ ENIC have brought us a long way. Remember the days of Stuie Nethercott and big Doc!!!

In Levy we trust.

Well said Heidi

Dark days

The point is that we'll always be a stepping stone to any club which is bigger than us.

It's a professional sport. Players wanna progress as far as they can in their profession.

So they're almost always gonna take the chance to move to a higher level.

Playing for United is a step up from playing for Spurs, present league position notwithstanding.

The Keane transfer was a strange one. 20m for Robbie Keane was too good to turn down, but I think we're at about the same level as Pool at the moment in regards to ability to attract or hold on to players. They're probably at the same point with Suarez as we were last season with Bale. They'll be lucky to keep him for another season, even if they do get 4th.

this point is that Spurs will never be able to complete with bigger clubs if we sell them our best players

selling to our rivals sends out the message that we are not really looking to be competitive and will happily take the cash when it's waved as us.

"it's a grand old player trading company to play for"

this point is that Spurs will never be able to complete with bigger clubs if we sell them our best players

selling to our rivals sends out the message that we are not really looking to be competitive and will happily take the cash when it's waved as us.

"it's a grand old player trading company to play for"

I'll spell it out for you:

EVERY club is a "player trading company".

Except Real and Barca

I'll spell it out for you:

EVERY club is a "player trading company".

Except Real and Barca

disagree, trading players is not most clubs primary function, alas it seems to be with ENIC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

disagree, trading players is not most clubs primary function, alas it seems to be with ENIC

disagree that tottenham hotspurs primary function is to trade players

How do you come to that conclusion?

Strange that Modric, Berbatov and Bale all had to go on strike in order to get their move, don't you think?

Surele they woulda been pushed out the door by a club whose primary function was to make money...

guess we'll have to agree to disagree guys

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Valcin

Ah here, you're talking nonsense. You obviously didn't follow any of those transfer sagas if you think that they were eager to sell those players.

• Advertisement

guess we'll have to agree to disagree guys

Yep, seeing as all logic and evidence shows you to be wrong, we'll just have to call it a draw

Advertisement