Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Valcin wrote: »
    Ah here, you're talking nonsense. You obviously didn't follow any of those transfer sagas if you think that they were eager to sell those players.

They will let these sales drag out for a while in order to squeeze the buyer as much as possible and convince the fans they don't want to sell, but they will always sell in the end, it fits their business model (profit on transfers).

Modric in 2011 is the only exception, and he went the following year in the end.

ENIC are good busienss people, they know a good financial deal when they see one, it's just a pity they are making decisions for their own financial goals, footballing goals don't really feature, and why they should they ? ENIC are an investment company and shouldn't really be anywhere near a football club.

Ormus wrote: »
    Yep, seeing as all logic and evidence shows you to be wrong, we'll just have to call it a draw

opinions Ormus - that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Valcin

They will let these sales drag out for a while in order to squeeze the buyer as much as possible and convince the fans they don't want to sell, but they will always sell in the end, it fits their business model (profit on transfers).

Modric in 2011 is the only exception, and he went the following year in the end

ENIC are good busienss people, they know a good financial deal when they see one, it's just a pity they are making decisions for their own financial goals, footballing goals don't really feature, and why they should they ? ENIC are an investment company and shouldn't really be anywhere near a football club.

Of course it was a good financial deal. It helped pay for a load of new players in the summer. We were a one man team. They didn't pocket the money, they broke even over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

opinions Ormus - that's all

That's all you've given

You've been provided with overwhelming evidence and facts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Keeping fairly quiet reading through this thread since my last post. It's getting a bit out of a control. I'd have plenty of points to make but I think there's been enough people who've covered my opinion.

But a couple of things I will note.

We aren't sure of exactly what the books are but it's fairly well documented now that Spurs have only broken even the past 6 years. So to say ENIC are a good investment company is pathetic. If that's their primary function with this club they're useless at investing. The Bale money would have been distributed around the shareholders and then they all would have had a merry time on their yachts in the Bahamas. It wasn't it was reinvested in players. Players in the summer all of us were excited about and forgetting the heartbreak of losing Bale.

As someone mentioned a few pages ago. We'd be praising the pants off everyone associated with the club if for example Soldado and Lamela were on the form we've seen them capable of at their previous clubs.

It's a fine line between being on Par and being title challengers for this club.

The other issues (Stadium Spurs supporters trust etc) wouldn't be getting near the attention it is right now if it weren't for the season we're having.

I'm surprised nobody used the example of the state of the art training centre just opened last summer as an example of reinvesting the money. Sure it might put ENIC in a better position when they want to sell but who really gives a ****? They've provided the club with currently the best training facilities in England and among the best facilities in the world.

I still think this stadium will be built. They're taking their time doing it but they've had a lot more trouble to deal with than say Arsenal. London Riots, suitable sponsors, penny snatching local council, protests from locals. All these things unfortunately add time to the project.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

AIA's logo will appear on the front of Tottenham's shirts in all competitions until 2019 as part of a deal Press Association Sport understands to be be worth far in excess of the £12million-a-year previously reported.

Daily Mail reckon it's £16m.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

No prob getting a few quotes from DL when theres business and money to be talked about...

... But if you want to hear him speak about footballing matters, forget it.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

great deal for ENIC if the figures are accurate

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Great news for the club!

No prob getting a few quotes from DL when theres business and money to be talked about...

... But if you want to hear him speak about footballing matters, forget it.

Thankfully we have a football manager to talk about football, leaving the chairman to run the club.

... and you're happy he hasn't said a single thing in relation to the AVB sacking, the TS appointment, or what the long terms plans are for a manager are you?

I'm looking for him to write a column in a daily newspaper or blog about it, just speak to the fans occasionally.

... and you're happy he hasn't said a single thing in relation to the AVB sacking, the TS appointment, or what the long terms plans are for a manager are you?

I'm looking for him to write a column in a daily newspaper or blog about it, just speak to the fans occasionally.

I'm pretty happy yeah.

I'd be very interested to hear what happened, but in reality if Levy gave his side, AVB would then have to give his side, it'd turn into an unpleasant mess, and we'd never know whose account was more accurate.

As for long term plans, again it'd be very interesting, but it would only be used by fans and press as a stick to beat him with if he ever deviated from it: "You said, you promised" etc.

Some might say that it's his duty to do it anyway in the interests of transparency, but the reality is that it's not common practice for chairmen to do that, and no chairman in his right mind is going to voluntarily make a noose for the press to hang him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Not having a go and I'm no fan of Levy's but in fairness what's he gonna say? He's hardly gonna tell us what' s really going on. If he speaks it'll be just another load of PR speak similar to the nonsense spouted at those weekly manager press conferences zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Yes because that's what Chairmen do.

irishmover wrote: »
    Yes because that's what Chairmen do.

Yeah, listen to their own fans and occasionally respond to their concerns. I suppose that is too much too ask.

Yeah, listen to their own fans and occasionally respond to their concerns. I suppose that is too much too ask.

Name a chairman who writes a blog? Or a chairman who is open to all their fans?! Honestly, I never really considered a chairman at any club to be as open to their fans as you want Levy to be so I'm genuinely asking for an example.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Not having a go and I'm no fan of Levy's but in fairness what's he gonna say? He's hardly gonna tell us what' s really going on. If he speaks it'll be just another load of PR speak similar to the nonsense spouted at those weekly manager press conferences zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

No specifics. He's hardly going to say the next manager is going to be X, or 'we wanted X to be next manager but he turned us down', that wouldn't make any sense. But he has to be one of the most elusive Chairmen in the EPL and considering the something chaotic and often times terbulant times during the last 10 years you'd think he'd have some opinion on the football side of things to say from time to time.

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    Name a chairman who writes a blog? Or a chairman who is open to all their fans?! Honestly, I never really considered a chairman at any club to be as open to their fans as you want Levy to be so I'm genuinely asking for an example.

Just seeing my typo now, I meant to say "I'm NOT looking for him to write a newspaper article or write a blog" .... just say a few words to the fasns now and again.

As for an example .... How about when we got pipped at the post for 4th place last season, or even when Chelsea took our place in the CL the year before .... You'd think that surely he'd have had more to say about that...
    Even the year we did qualify if for the CL he hardly said a word!!!

Or when he sacked HR, that divided alot of fans but all we got was the standard responses from the official website etc..

Just seeing my typo now, I meant to say "I'm NOT looking for him to write a newspaper article or write a blog" .... just say a few words to the fasns now and again.

Well that makes more sense.

I tend to agree that he should probably have made a statement in regards AVB but without knowing why I'd like to just give him the benefit of the doubt.

He is threading a thin line. The fanbase seems to be divided on him. The next two years are crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I am a Levy/Enic fan. I wonder where we would be without them?

Levy is not perfect and does not get everything right, who does.

We could have a lot worse than we have. I believe they have been taking us in the right direction with some backward steps along the way. We have no good reason to believe they wont continue progressing our club, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

A brilliant read in today's guardian, a very insightful interview with our former manager and soon to be opponent, Dnipro boss Juande Ramos..
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/13/juande-ramos-tottenham-hotspur-dnipro?CMP=twt_gu

Posting it here to instigate the next leg of Ormus v Dublin Spur (couldn't resist :D:D) due to the following remarks:
    Ramos accepts the way Tottenham is run but not the apportioning of blame when it comes to not being among the country's very best sides. "Spurs works as a business," he says.

"That's legitimate and I'm sure the model's built with the right intentions. They think the economic model enables the sporting model to function but that's not always true. Levy makes a £17m investment [Bent] but has two better players in the way. They have to remove obstacles so the investment plays. In economic terms, fine. In sporting terms it turned out to be a disaster."

He explains: "Spurs spend a lot of money but only sign players who are 20 or 22 because they're thinking of future sales. [Gareth] Bale, for example, or [Luka] Modric: I advised Spurs to sign him. He's a great player but you still need patience; it doesn't happen immediately. The idea is: sign players, see if they take off, sell and reinvest. Fine but are you trying to win money or titles? The criteria at Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea is that the sporting side is the priority. If City sign [Jesús] Navas or [Álvaro] Negredo, they don't look at the player's age; they look at his performances.

"Spurs aren't going to win the league. Economically, it works well but in sporting terms maybe it needs retuning. You can't demand something that doesn't fit the reality."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

You got there before me. Was just gonna post it. Interesting read.

Ramos :)

Interesting but nonsensical.

How does signing Bent when we have two better players make economic sense?

What was wrong with signing Bale and Modric?

What about all the older players we sign? Soldado and Adebayor for example.

Does he make any valid points ?

Ormus wrote: »
    Interesting but nonsensical.

How does signing Bent when we have two better players make economic sense?

What was wrong with signing Bale and Modric?

What about all the older players we sign? Soldado and Adebayor for example.

Does he make any valid points ?

Huh, did you read the article? "The year before they'd signed Darren Bent for £17m. They sell Robbie Keane and [Dimitar] Berbatov because they want Bent to play, so they left us with Darren Bent and Frazier Campbell. Without strikers."

• Advertisement

Funny sh1t!

"So we were left with Bent and Campbell. We couldn't beat anyone. We couldn't have scored if we'd used a rainbow as the goalposts."

Advertisement