Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Taken from ESPN..........

Iain Macintosh takes a look back at the weekend that was in the Premier League.

Only Tottenham Hotspur could conclude that Liverpool were a side that needed help scoring goals. On a day when the world waited to see what real pressure would do to a team only just being taken seriously as title contenders, Spurs put up precisely 100 seconds of resistance before a cataclysmic series of errors gave their hosts a goal start and set them on their way to a 4-0 win. Brendan Rodgers couldn’t have asked for more accommodating opposition.

Tim Sherwood said before the game that he had sensed nervousness in the Liverpool team and that they would be feeling the pressure of expectation now that they were in the title race. Really? His team were two goals down within 25 minutes with Michael Dawson having created the second when he released Luis Suarez with a perfectly weighted first-time through ball.

Laughably, the Tottenham directors are reported to have considered themselves title challengers this year, despite doing little more than reinvesting the money they received for Gareth Bale across a spread of seven new players and expecting them all to settle immediately. This season they have lost to Arsenal twice (three times if you count the FA Cup), Manchester City twice, Liverpool twice and have taken a single point from Chelsea. In all of those games, they have scored only twice and conceded 27. It’s been a brutal reality check.

While there is something quite admirable about the single-minded manner in which Sherwood has set about his work, it seems clear that he is so far out of his depth that he is now a danger to shipping. While he has at least progressed from the time-capsuled 4-4-2 first seen in Spurs' League Cup exit at home to West Ham, he has still been comprehensively outwitted by his peers at the upper end of the table.

Unable to trust his emotions in the technical area, he now forces himself to sit and stew in the director’s box, listening to the supporters chant “Where is our manager?” Reliant on isolated ideals of spirit and passion, when neither were on display at Anfield he looked like a thoroughly lost cause. Yet it’s too simple to use him as a scapegoat.

Chairman Daniel Levy operates Tottenham like a world-weary IT consultant, always hitting CTR/ALT/DEL at the first sign of trouble and rebooting the entire system instead of examining the issue. He veers from one ideology to another, never allowing anyone to settle. If he was in charge of Liverpool, he’d probably have sacked Brendan Rodgers in December 2012, concluding that laying down the foundations of a fancy, attacking game was all well and good, but that the club really needed to secure European football.

Ironically, Levy’s constant tampering means that the only thing that will restore Spurs to the Champions League is, well, a total reboot. But this time, the personnel have to be chosen wisely.

He cannot have a technical director ostensibly working with the youngsters but secretly desirous of power. He cannot have a director of football whose idea of a good player is at odds with the manager’s visions. He cannot have a manager who struggles to control powerful personalities.

Tottenham need a full sweep-and-clear this summer. But if Levy can’t get it right this time, the next person out the door should be him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Yawn

Since Jol taking over in 2004 (10 years ago), only 4 managers have come and gone at Spurs.

The average Premiership managerial tenure (taking out Wenger) is 379 days (As of January 2014)

This guy simply doesn't know his stuff.

And most hilariously he's calling for a complete clear out this summer. I guarentee he would have called for Spurs to sign about 7 players last summer. Same as everyone else in the media. Same as everyone on Boards. Same as every wise hypocrite going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Thing is, in my eyes it's not the new players who are the failures, it's the players already at the club, Dawson, Naughton, Rose, Townsend, and Lennon they are the ones for the clearout (and incidentally all UK players). I'd keep the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Thing is, in my eyes it's not the new players who are the failures, it's the players already at the club, Dawson, Naughton, Rose, Townsend, and Lennon they are the ones for the clearout (and incidentally all UK players). I'd keep the rest.

well lennon has become awful . its his attitude though, he is much better than he is playing at present and he will be good again.

naughton and rose just dont have the ability

mickman wrote: »
    well lennon has become awful . its his attitude though, he is much better than he is playing at present and he will be good again.

Even in the HR days all he had was pace, couldn't run to the corner and cross and hopeless when he cuts inside, rarely scores. Off with him, not good enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Even in the HR days all he had was pace, couldn't run to the corner and cross and hopeless when he cuts inside, rarely scores. Off with him, not good enough

yeah but he ripped teams apart with that pace. he should still have that pace but yeah i agree, he is hardly world class

Observations on Spurs (summer signings, coaching situation) coming up in multiple tweets, I apologise in advance for hijacking your feed
    -1) more than anything, there's been no basis for new (any) player to thrive this season. Unsettled environment, no clear structure post AVB
    -2) even players that performed well last season have had negative trend this term, which shows something's fundamentally wrong
    -3) which Spurs players have improved on last season? Townsend? Adebayor? Majority of the rest looking confused, unmotivated, out of sorts
    -4) in such a context, how can one expect any new signings to flourish? I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way
    -5) from the summer signings, I've seen enough of Paulinho, Eriksen, Lamela (pre joining) to know that they'd strengthen Spurs significantly
    -6) I was unsure/unconvinced about Chadli and Capoue back then, but Chriches - if anything - has surprised me positively
    -7) Soldado has become a problem, starting to look like a lost cause, but he'd profit from clearer structure to the attacking game
    -8) but point is: with seemingly no clear plan, strategy or stability it's completely naive to expect new signings to prosper
    -9) as pointed out at the time of AVB sacking, why didn't Spurs go with a manager whose system would get the best out of the summer signings?
    -10) by appointing an inexperienced manager Spurs seemed to give up on £60-70 million worth of player investment after five months. Bizarre.
    -11) and finally, what's the point of appointing a technical director when he seemingly had no influence in appointment of new manager?
    -12) with all these factors in mind, there's no wonder why Spurs is having a disappointing season. Lack of coherent club strategy
    Source:http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/12-tweets-that-sum-up-tottenhams-season-by-tor-kristian-karlsen/

mickman wrote: »
    yeah but he ripped teams apart with that pace. he should still have that pace but yeah i agree, he is hardly world class

He's never gonna be world class but at his best he is well good enough for Spurs.

With the season he's had though, we should look to replace him this summer, but keep him as reserve.

Observations on Spurs (summer signings, coaching situation) coming up in multiple tweets, I apologise in advance for hijacking your feed
    -1) more than anything, there's been no basis for new (any) player to thrive this season. Unsettled environment, no clear structure post AVB
    -2) even players that performed well last season have had negative trend this term, which shows something's fundamentally wrong
    -3) which Spurs players have improved on last season? Townsend? Adebayor? Majority of the rest looking confused, unmotivated, out of sorts
    -4) in such a context, how can one expect any new signings to flourish? I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way
    -5) from the summer signings, I've seen enough of Paulinho, Eriksen, Lamela (pre joining) to know that they'd strengthen Spurs significantly
    -6) I was unsure/unconvinced about Chadli and Capoue back then, but Chriches - if anything - has surprised me positively
    -7) Soldado has become a problem, starting to look like a lost cause, but he'd profit from clearer structure to the attacking game
    -8) but point is: with seemingly no clear plan, strategy or stability it's completely naive to expect new signings to prosper
    -9) as pointed out at the time of AVB sacking, why didn't Spurs go with a manager whose system would get the best out of the summer signings?
    -10) by appointing an inexperienced manager Spurs seemed to give up on £60-70 million worth of player investment after five months. Bizarre.
    -11) and finally, what's the point of appointing a technical director when he seemingly had no influence in appointment of new manager?
    -12) with all these factors in mind, there's no wonder why Spurs is having a disappointing season. Lack of coherent club strategy
    Source:http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/12-tweets-that-sum-up-tottenhams-season-by-tor-kristian-karlsen/

= a complete shambles, Levy out and take that mean old tw@t Lewis with you

= a complete shambles, Levy out and take that mean old tw@t Lewis with you

Then we'd end up with worse, Mike Ashley or the likes or even Vincent Tan

• Advertisement

Or sell our souls to a sugar daddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Ormus wrote: »
    Or sell our souls to a sugar daddy

Done that when Lewis and Enic took over in 2001 but trust our luck is luck to get the scoorge version :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

If people are still coming on here defending Levy they seriously need their head checked.

Our club is a mess.

I don't subscribe to the 'careful what you wish for BS', if the club was bought why do people presume we would be sold to an egotistical lunatic?

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Done that when Lewis and Enic took over in 2001 but trust our luck is luck to get the scoorge version :D

A scrooge sugar daddy is an oxymoron

Lewis might be as rich as a sugar daddy but that doesn't make him one

If people are still coming on here defending Levy they seriously need their head checked.

Our club is a mess.

I don't subscribe to the 'careful what you wish for BS', if the club was bought why do people presume we would be sold to an egotistical lunatic?

Cos football clubs are only ever bought by egotistical lunatics or businessmen

We're already owned by a business

You sure about that ?

Cos football clubs are only ever bought by egotistical lunatics or businessmen

We're already owned by a business

Businessman will do then, preferably one with a record for making good decisions.

Businessman will do then, preferably one with a record for making good decisions.

Like Alan Sugar?

Like Alan Sugar?

Sure:rolleyes:

The last thing we need is another egotistical control freak businessman with a habit of creating a dysfunctional managerial hierarchy and making poor managerial appointments.. PS. I'm talking about Sugar;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Never mind Levy's trigger finger, its his hiring record that is a mess. He wouldn't have to fire them every 18 months if his appointment record wasn't so poor. Bar Jol and Redknapp (who wasn't even meant to be long term) the rest have been varying degrees of disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I wish DL would stay clear of the footballing side of things, stick completely to commercial side, the new stadium, sponsors, whatever. Maybe that was the thinking with the appointment of Baldini, TS's old role as technical director etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

EnicOut.png

But you don't get a say in who takes over. That's the point being made by the person who said careful what you wish for. If you wish for a new owner you're as likely to get an egotistical maniac as a clever businessman.

We already have a clever businessman.

Never mind Levy's trigger finger, its his hiring record that is a mess. He wouldn't have to fire them every 18 months if his appointment record wasn't so poor. Bar Jol and Redknapp (who wasn't even meant to be long term) the rest have been varying degrees of disaster.

6 managers sacked in 13 years

6 managers sacked in 13 years

10 appointments in 13 years!
    We already have a clever businessman.

10 appointments in 13 years?

10 appointments in 13 years!

10 appointments in 13 years?

It's 7 actually

It's 7 actually

Wrong.

Pleat c
    Hoddle
    Pleat c
    Santini
    Jol
    Allen c
    Ramos
    Redknapp
    AVB
    Sherwood

And it will be 11 in the summer.

Wrong.

Pleat c
    Hoddle
    Pleat c
    Santini
    Jol
    Allen c
    Ramos
    Redknapp
    AVB
    Sherwood

And it will be 11 in the summer.

Ha caretaker managers are only in charge until a manager is appointed. You know that.

They're by definition only there on an interim basis.

You're trying to show that Levy can't help hiring and firing managers. Caretakers have nothing to do with that. They're clearly not examples of that. You're killing your own point.

• Advertisement

This must be lap 5?

Advertisement