Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

with nothing to show for it

what's the point in all this hiring and firing ?

what plan does ENIC have for our club ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056018657

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

If Levy gets this one wrong, his head has to roll IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

Same one as always. Sell it for a massive amount of money. They showed their hand when the pursued the Olympic stadium red herring.
    They don't care about the club in same way fans do.

He sells his best players; he sacks his managers. What exactly is Daniel Levy's vision for Spurs? http://goo.gl/w7oY8u

Tim Sherwood sacked: We are still no closer to learning Daniel Levy's plan for Spurs

Does the chairman want a lucrative sale or to build a side that can challenge?

Daniel Levy could hardly say that he did not know what kind of personality he was taking on in Tim Sherwood, who, for the second time in his career, has left the club after a final frank exchange of views with the Tottenham Hotspur chairman.

It was the same 11 years ago when Sherwood, having fallen out of favour with Glenn Hoddle, was eager to leave for Portsmouth and angry that Levy was standing in his way. The Spurs chairman did not bear grudges, however, and was happy for Sherwood to come back under Harry Redknapp, first as one of the then-Spurs manager's assistants and latterly as the club's technical coordinator, overseeing player development.

That relationship came to an end for a second time today when Sherwood was told by Levy that he was no longer the club's manager and a break clause in the 18-month deal he signed in December, after taking over from Andre Villas-Boas, was to be activated. This time Sherwood was informed that he had been too outspoken and too critical of the club in recent weeks, although he has done so in the knowledge that he has been a dead man walking for some time now.

Sherwood will still be paid up on the last 12 months of his contract and becomes just the latest coach to leave White Hart Lane wondering exactly what it is that his chairman wants in a manager.

When he took over from Villas-Boas, Sherwood asked expressly whether he was simply regarded as a stopgap until the end of the season or whether he would indeed be able to see out the 18 months of his contract, including a summer transfer window. He had clear ideas about the players he wanted to bring in, including Gareth Barry, who he felt would help to develop the younger players in which he has such faith.

Then, Sherwood was told that the 18-month contract was no fiction and he would be given time. There have been some bad defeats along the way, to Manchester City, Chelsea and Liverpool, but his win rate, as he has pointed out of late, stands at 59 per cent which is better than any of his predecessors in the Premier League era.

There is no denying that Sherwood is outspoken. The club got to a stage where they worried what would come next from his Friday press briefings. But that only started when Sherwood began to sense that there was no appetite to plan for the future with him. He commented in March that the "silence was deafening" from boardroom level.

Since his return to the club almost six years ago he has never been reluctant to tell Levy the truth about the direction, or lack of it, that Spurs have been taking. Everyone else, right up to Franco Baldini, the technical director, has to be more diplomatic. Sherwood has the luxury of being able to pick and choose if he works and as a consequence has never lived in fear of losing his job.

In addition to that he has been unafraid to tell big players in the dressing room such as Jan Vertonghen and Sandro when he feels that they have slipped below the standards expected. That criticism has not always been welcomed.

As for Levy, it is not as if he has been unprepared to listen – otherwise he would not have brought Sherwood back in the first place and then promoted him to manager. What is less clear is what exactly the chairman wants from the club? What is the long-term vision that he and the club's ultimate controlling power, the billionaire Joe Lewis, have for Spurs? Is it a lucrative sale? Or is it a team that can qualify for the Champions League and challenge for the league title, and if so, why do they keep selling their best players?

Michael Carrick, Dimitar Berbatov, Luka Modric and Gareth Bale have all been sold over the last eight years. While Spurs have bought shrewdly at times, that could not be said for last summer. When the club played a friendly in the Bahamas this time last year, Levy and Baldini told Lewis that if he allowed them to reinvest the Bale fee in players they could win the league. They did so and have finished sixth, their lowest league position in five seasons.

Sherwood was less keen on spending money. He believed that the likes of Harry Kane, Nabil Bentaleb, Danny Rose and Tom Carroll, currently on loan at Queen's Park Rangers, could eventually become first-team regulars, if they were given the opportunity. In January he resisted Levy's attempts to trade, including a putative bid to bring back Berbatov.

When Sherwood pushed the club on pursuing his transfer targets he was eventually told, on 7 April, that they wanted a more experienced manager. A lack of backing from the supporters has meant that Levy has not had to fear public opinion. Sherwood has been unafraid to tell Spurs fans that he sees their desire for new signings as an obstacle to allowing the club's academy players to flourish.

Who next? Frank de Boer may have damaged his chances by being too open about Spurs' approach to him. Levy will want someone who is prepared to be on-message. Whoever it is there is a good chance that the best players will continue to be sold, while the long-term ambitions of the club remain vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

This thread is an example of how having our own forum and being able to make lots of threads can be bad.

I find it funny how there's a Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis thread perfectly designated for views like this, yet Dublin Spur insists on spewing the discussion into other threads and alas creating new ones about the same topic. In my view it discourages me from reading any information you post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

irishmover wrote: »
    This thread is an example of how having our own forum and being able to make lots of threads can be bad.

I find it funny how there's a Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis thread perfectly designated for views like this, yet Dublin Spur insists on spewing the discussion into other threads and alas creating new ones about the same topic. In my view it discourages me from reading any information you post.

Agree, its been done to death on here. Does any one really not know what ENIC plans for the club are???? Profit ffs.

hold on a second here,

yesterday another Spurs manager was sacked. this thread was started as an attermpt to try to understand what the thinking was behind the decision and to try and fathom what kind of a plan do our owners have for our club.

if you don't want to participate then you don't have to

if you do want to participate, please play the ball not the man

• Advertisement

hold on a second here,

yesterday another Spurs manager was sacked. this thread was started as an attermpt to try to understand what the thinking was behind the decision and to try and fathom what kind of a plan do our owners have for our club.

if you don't want to participate then you don't have to

if you do want to participate, please play the ball not the man

This thread is the EXACT same as the Levy/Lewis thread.

And you have stated your opinion at least 60 times in that thread. You've tried to derail other threads with the EXACT same opinion. And now you've started a brand new thread to voice the EXACT same view.

Have you anything to add?

Ormus wrote: »
    This thread is the EXACT same as the Levy/Lewis thread.

And you have stated your opinion at least 60 times in that thread. You've tried to derail other threads with the EXACT same opinion. And now you've started a brand new thread to voice the EXACT same view.

Have you anything to add?

the thread was triggerd by an event at occured yesterday

Who are you to decide what events warrent a new thread or not

if you don't wish to participate constructively, just f**k off

the thread was triggerd by an event at occured yesterday

Who are you to decide what events warrent a new thread or not

if you don't wish to participate constructively, just f**k off

I'm not making any decision.

I'm pointing out that it's the exact same thread as one which already exists, which you are well aware of because you have given your views in it many many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I'm pointing out that it's the exact same thread as one which already exists, which you are well aware of because you have given your views in it many many times.

in fairness, some people might read one thread and might miss another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I'm getting sick of people on this forum trying to censor other people's opinions. If Dublin spur wants to state a case which is based on fact such as above what is the problem? Just cause you don't agree with it ormus doesn't mean you can try and get it cencored

tom1ie wrote: »
    I'm getting sick of people on this forum trying to censor other people's opinions. If Dublin spur wants to state a case which is based on fact such as above what is the problem? Just cause you don't agree with it ormus doesn't mean you can try and get it cencored

Yes , lets have lots of different threads all about the same thing, we could have a Levy thread similar to the matchday one, Levy Wednesday, Levy Thursday etc etc, there we can discuss in depth all of the same things we have discussed in depth in the Levy thread.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Yes , lets have lots of different threads all about the same thing, we could have a Levy thread similar to the matchday one, Levy Wednesday, Levy Thursday etc etc, there we can discuss in depth all of the same things we have discussed in depth in the Levy thread.

Well maybe if levy stops sacking managers we wouldn't have a thread about every manager that's been sacked by levy. The only reason you think there's lots of threads about levy sacking managers is because..........he's sacked lots of managers!

Well maybe if levy stops sacking managers we wouldn't have a thread about every manager that's been sacked by levy. The only reason you think there's lots of threads about levy sacking managers is because..........he's sacked lots of managers!

We should have a thread about that.:D

mushykeogh wrote: »
    We should have a thread about that.:D

Lol yeah I think it's lacking on this site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Harry deserved to be sacked for media whoring himself up for the England job. We were all jumping for joy when AVB was appointed but in the end he deserved to be sacked for being to rigid to a system that was not working. None of us wanted Tim but he was always interim manager to steady the ship for the rest of the season, in the end he deserved to be let go for being a little early in his managerial career.

• Advertisement

Harry deserved to be sacked for media whoring himself up for the England job. We were all jumping for joy when AVB was appointed but in the end he deserved to be sacked for being to rigid to a system that was not working. None of us wanted Tim but he was always interim manager to steady the ship for the rest of the season, in the end he deserved to be let go for being a little early in his managerial career.

I certainly wasn't jumping for joy when AVB was appointed. Levy sacked (probably correctly as you outline above) Harry who in 3 full seasons had gotten us 4th 5th 4th and replaced him by a guy who had failed in his only previous EPL job. He then sacked AVB with no plan B and replaced him with a guy who didn;t even have coaching badges. It's obvious who the problem is at WHL.
    Clive Allen was on BBC R5Live earlier and spoke about Levy http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01z37rt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

yiddo59 wrote: »
    I certainly wasn't jumping for joy when AVB was appointed. Levy sacked (probably correctly as you outline above) Harry who in 3 full seasons had gotten us 4th 5th 4th and replaced him by a guy who had failed in his only previous EPL job. He then sacked AVB with no plan B and replaced him with a guy who didn;t even have coaching badges. It's obvious who the problem is at WHL.
    Clive Allen was on BBC R5Live earlier and spoke about Levy http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01z37rt

I wouldn't say he's 100% not a football man. I have no doubt he's a fan and wants us to do well, but he has a job and Mr Lewis obviously thinks he's doing it very well, the unfortunate thing for us is that him doing his job well in Mr Lewis' eyes doesn't mean winning trophy's.

I honestly don't have a clue what you mean. How would I censor what anyone says? It's not possible. I'm not a mod. I have no way of stopping anyone saying anything.

I can't get over how many people here are talking about Sherwood getting sacked.

I presumed we all knew he'd be gone in the summer barring a miracle.

It's a non event.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy not a football man - Clive Allen
    Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is "not a football man", according to former Spurs player and coach Clive Allen.

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 live, Allen praised Levy as a businessman but criticised his decisions on football-related matters.

"He's a businessman, an incredible businessman," said 52-year-old Allen.

Spurs managers under Levy
    ◦George Graham
    ◦Glenn Hoddle
    ◦David Pleat
    ◦Jacques Santini
    ◦Martin Jol
    ◦Juande Ramos
    ◦Harry Redknapp
    ◦Andre Villas-Boas
    ◦Tim Sherwood

"But no, I don't think he is a football man in all honesty. Those decisions have come back time and time again to haunt him."

Allen, who was interim manager of Spurs for one match in 2007 after Martin Jol was sacked, also criticised the recent transfer dealings of the club.

"It's a very expensive squad and someone has to be answerable for that," he said.

"It's so bitterly disappointing the squad has finished sixth this season and the squad of players in all honesty, are not competitive with the top four teams.

"A decision was made that a new direction had to be found and I just wonder what that direction is."

Nine managers have left Tottenham since Levy took over in 2001, the most recent being Tim Sherwood, who was sacked on Tuesday after just five months in charge.

In his time at the club, Sherwood compared himself to a "supply teacher", with players being told by their agents he would not be at the club next season.

Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino and Ajax boss Frank de Boer have been touted as possible replacements for Sherwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Let's get a football man in then to run the club. Someone with no notion of how to run a business.

I'm sure we'll be winning the league every year with no financial concerns.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy not a football man - Clive Allen
    Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is "not a football man", according to former Spurs player and coach Clive Allen.

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 live, Allen praised Levy as a businessman but criticised his decisions on football-related matters.

"He's a businessman, an incredible businessman," said 52-year-old Allen.

Spurs managers under Levy
    ◦George Graham
    ◦Glenn Hoddle
    ◦David Pleat
    ◦Jacques Santini
    ◦Martin Jol
    ◦Juande Ramos
    ◦Harry Redknapp
    ◦Andre Villas-Boas
    ◦Tim Sherwood

"But no, I don't think he is a football man in all honesty. Those decisions have come back time and time again to haunt him."

Allen, who was interim manager of Spurs for one match in 2007 after Martin Jol was sacked, also criticised the recent transfer dealings of the club.

"It's a very expensive squad and someone has to be answerable for that," he said.

"It's so bitterly disappointing the squad has finished sixth this season and the squad of players in all honesty, are not competitive with the top four teams.

"A decision was made that a new direction had to be found and I just wonder what that direction is."

Nine managers have left Tottenham since Levy took over in 2001, the most recent being Tim Sherwood, who was sacked on Tuesday after just five months in charge.

In his time at the club, Sherwood compared himself to a "supply teacher", with players being told by their agents he would not be at the club next season.

Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino and Ajax boss Frank de Boer have been touted as possible replacements for Sherwood.

I'd give my right arm to see how many quotes there are from Clive Allen condemning those managers at the time they were appointed, and/or quotes from him condeming their sackings.

Apart from Sherwood, there was general approval of every one of the managers being appointed.

Apart from AVB, there was general approval for each one leaving.

A footballing chairman he wants. Clive Allen is a joke.

Let's get a football man in then to run the club. Someone with no notion of how to run a business.

You write as if it's impossible to have a middle ground where someone with a business background is also a football man.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    You write as if it's impossible to have a middle ground where someone with a business background is also a football man.

Niall Quinn is the only footballing chairman I can think of off the top of my head. There are probably more but not at the very top.

• Advertisement

why do you go to the opposite extreme ?
    there is plenty of middle ground here
    look what David Dein acheived at Arsenal for example

Levy's primary objective is to make money for ENIC - and he's very goosd at this,
    unfortunately for us fans the actual football peice of the jigsaw is not very important to them.

Advertisement