Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Yes, look at arsenal, since ENIC arrived at Spurs, they have won league titles, cups, appeared in a CL final (thank god they lost), employed 1 manager and built a new stadium.

This proves that If the owners make the right decisions at the right times it can be done without silly money.

Our lot usually get the big decisions wrong. Our record under them supports this theory. We're an above average premier league club, that's as good as it's gonna ever be with ENIC in my opinion. I'm bored of them

So the problem isn't lack of investment by the owners, it's that they're just not as good at running a football club as you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Right, you're on the ignore list, I can't be listening to a Spurs fan that wants us to be like Arsenal.

What's funny is, Arsenal have been in a rut for 9 years now with having just broken that duck with an FA Cup trophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

irishmover wrote: »
    What's funny is, Arsenal have been in a rut for 9 years now with having just broken that duck with an FA Cup trophy.

Exactly, I have a Gooner friend who constantly moans of Wenger and 4th place mediocrity, I guess the grass is always greener

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I wouldn't mind being in their 'rut'

Us v them since ENIC took over is embarrassing

Ormus wrote: »
    So the problem isn't lack of investment by the owners, it's that they're just not as good at running a football club as you?

Dunno how you arrived at that conclusion ?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind being in their 'rut'

Us v them since ENIC took over is embarrassing

Us v them before was worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

As AVB once said " We is US".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

.. and the small matter that Arsenal have had champions league football every single season since ENIC took over Spurs. Every. Single. Season.

.. and the small matter that Arsenal have had champions league football every single season since ENIC took over Spurs. Every. Single. Season.

You're clearly forgetting the gap before ENIC.

It's unbelievable how, after the ****e our club was beforehand, that people have expected us to all of a sudden out of the blue overtake Arsenal.

We've been close for how many years now? When were we that close before ENIC?

Our club has steadily progressed over the last 13 years. Let's see how this plays out with Pochettino. If we start dropping places for next couple of seasons then we should ring some alarm bells and consider that the owners have taken us as far as they can. But for now that's bull****.

Anyway, as I said Arsenal have been in a rut for 9 seasons. Yet THAT is the club we supposedly should be emulating??

Simple fact is. Arsenal since ENIC have gone backwards. Tottenham since ENIC have gone forward. No matter what way you spin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Us v them before was worse.

It certainly was. But ENIC took over 13 years ago in 2001. How much longer are they gonna be using the "better than Sugar" line?

• Advertisement

yiddo59 wrote: »
    It certainly was. But ENIC took over 13 years ago in 2001. How much longer are they gonna be using the "better than Sugar" line?

Don't think I've ever heard ENIC use a line like that.

They were better than Sugar almost immediately. It's only in the last 5 seasons that we've made the step up to contending for Champions League qualification.

If you can't see the massive progress the club has made, then your grasp of football is not what it should be.

Don't think I've ever heard ENIC use a line like that.

They were better than Sugar almost immediately. It's only in the last 5 seasons that we've made the step up to contending for Champions League qualification.

If you can't see the massive progress the club has made, then your grasp of football is not what it should be.

ENIC may not have used it but their supporters certainly have. The club has certainly progressed under ENIC but they've reached a glass ceiling and can;'t take us any further. 5th/6th is as good as it'll get with them in charge. If you can't see that then your grasp of reality is not what it should be. ;)

ENIC may not have used it but their supporters certainly have. The club has certainly progressed under ENIC but they've reached a glass ceiling and can;'t take us any further. 5th/6th is as good as it'll get with them in charge. If you can't see that then your grasp of reality is not what it should be. ;)

What evidence do you base that on?

Liverpool went from 7th to 2nd last season without even major investment.

What evidence do you base that on?

Liverpool went from 7th to 2nd last season without even major investment.

Not comparing like with like there Liverpool whether we like it or not are a much big club than Spurs. Bigger support/stadium etc. They like man u dropped out of the top 4 but will again be a fixture there. We could make it in the top 4 again but like Everton we're just an occassional visitor there. We won;t make it year in year out under the current set up.
    BTW I'd love to be wrong and for Levy to lead us into the promised land but it won't happen.

Not comparing like with like there Liverpool whether we like it or not are a much big club than Spurs. Bigger support/stadium etc. They like man u dropped out of the top 4 but will again be a fixture there. We could make it in the top 4 again but like Everton we're just an occassional visitor there. We won;t make it year in year out under the current set up.
    BTW I'd love to be wrong and for Levy to lead us into the promised land but it won't happen.

But regardless of whether they're a bigger club, they hardly invested anything last summer and made the jump from 7th to 2nd. How do you explain that? Destiny? Anything more solid?

But regardless of whether they're a bigger club, they hardly invested anything last summer and made the jump from 7th to 2nd. How do you explain that? Destiny? Anything more solid?

Better manager, kept their best player!

Better manager, kept their best player!

Ha, well thanks, but that's how they did it, the question is why would it be impossible for us to ever move from 6th to 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Anyway, as I said Arsenal have been in a rut for 9 seasons. Yet THAT is the club we supposedly should be emulating??

Simple fact is. Arsenal since ENIC have gone backwards. Tottenham since ENIC have gone forward. No matter what way you spin it.

If 'stuck in a rut' means playing champions league football year in, year out, (incl a champions league final appearance) and a few legitimate title challenges over the last 10 years then I'll gladly take that over finishing 8th, 7th, 4th, 5th, 4th, 6th etc.

The gap between us and them has narrowed in recent years, no doubt about it but without getting into some perverse situation where I end up defending arsenal I dont think its fair to measure their last ten years with one trophy.

If 'stuck in a rut' means playing champions league football year in, year out, (incl a champions league final appearance) and a few legitimate title challenges over the last 10 years then I'll gladly take that over finishing 8th, 7th, 4th, 5th, 4th, 6th etc.

The gap between us and them has narrowed in recent years, no doubt about it but without getting into some perverse situation where I end up defending arsenal I dont think its fair to measure their last ten years with one trophy.

Agreed, trophies don't tell the whole story. They've been operating at a level above us for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

I'm not a huge Enic fan or Levy fan since the day they sacked Jol at half time and were grinning in the directors box while we were losing.
    That aside I think they have done a good job with the running of the club from a financial view point.

However I completely disagree with a Technical Director buying players.
    This did not serve us well in the past and did not serve us well last season.
    Our best season saw Redknapp with full control over transfers.

Finally they always seem to employ a manager who has potential or unproven.

I think this was a good opportunity to get in a guy who has done it at the very top in either van gaal or Benitez.

I wish Pochettino the very best and will be behind him 100% but I hope he is given time and resources to use as HE sees fit.

• Advertisement

I'm not a huge Enic fan or Levy fan since the day they sacked Jol at half time and were grinning in the directors box while we were losing.
    That aside I think they have done a good job with the running of the club from a financial view point.

However I completely disagree with a Technical Director buying players.
    This did not serve us well in the past and did not serve us well last season.
    Our best season saw Redknapp with full control over transfers.

Finally they always seem to employ a manager who has potential or unproven.

I think this was a good opportunity to get in a guy who has done it at the very top in either van gaal or Benitez.

I wish Pochettino the very best and will be behind him 100% but I hope he is given time and resources to use as HE sees fit.

Redknapp was never in charge of transfers.

There's no evidence to suggest we ever had a chance of getting Benitez or LVG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Its the truth. Ten more years and then we'l all stop, maybe.

Redknapp was never in charge of transfers.

There's no evidence to suggest we ever had a chance of getting Benitez or LVG.

So you believe Enic Wanted Lucas Neil,Louis Saha,Steven Pienaar,Robbie Keane after they couldn't wait to sell him to Liverpool,Paschal Chimbonda after they couldn't wait to sell him to Sunderland?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

So you believe Enic Wanted Lucas Neil,Louis Saha,Steven Pienaar,Robbie Keane after they couldn't wait to sell him to Liverpool,Paschal Chimbonda after they couldn't wait to sell him to Sunderland?

when you list them out.....it's hard to accept that that's the calibre of player we used to accept

when you list them out.....it's hard to accept that that's the calibre of player we used to accept

To be fair to Keane when he and Berba were together they were as good as any partnership we have had in the last 25 years,Klinsmann and Teddy aside.

Does anyone think Levy will have learned from previous mistakes and give his new man adequate time and support to do the best job possible ?

I'm not sure he will but hope he will, we badly need some stability in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Does anyone think Levy will have learned from previous mistakes and give his new man adequate time and support to do the best job possible ?

I'm not sure he will but hope he will, we badly need some stability in this area.

I hope he has, but leopards and spots and all that

You don't think it strange that Harry wasn't always sure who we were signing or when they were signed?

Harry was our manager. Of course he was involved in transfers. He was one of the main instigators of who we signed. But he wasn't in charge by any means. There's a big difference.

Saha was an emergency signing but he did ok. Chimbonda was a mercenary if ever there was one, but I do remember most Spurs fans creaming themselves for us to buy him.

Lucas Neill was one of the best full backs in the Premiership for several seasons. Miles better than what we have now.

I thought Pienaar was a great signing and we got him for next to nothing, but Harry never have him a run in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Saha was an emergency signing but he did ok. Chimbonda was a mercenary if ever there was one, but I do remember most Spurs fans creaming themselves for us to buy him.

Lucas Neill was one of the best full backs in the Premiership for several seasons. Miles better than what we have now.
    I thought Pienaar was a great signing and we got him for next to nothing, but Harry never have him a run in the team.

Are you for real? One of the best full backs in the league for several seasons, I must have been watching different games than you.

Advertisement