Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Are you for real? One of the best full backs in the league for several seasons, I must have been watching different games than you.

I have to agree here, I think calling him one of the best is pushing it a bit. IMO he was decent at best but not among the best full backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Are you for real? One of the best full backs in the league for several seasons, I must have been watching different games than you.
    KingdomYid wrote: »
    I have to agree here, I think calling him one of the best is pushing it a bit. IMO he was decent at best but not among the best full backs.

Matter of opinion I guess, he was a total knacker but I never saw a winger get the best of him.

He was constantly linked with the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Ormus wrote: »
    Saha was an emergency signing but he did ok. Chimbonda was a mercenary if ever there was one, but I do remember most Spurs fans creaming themselves for us to buy him.

Lucas Neill was one of the best full backs in the Premiership for several seasons.

Why is Lucas Neill being mentioned? He never played for spurs. Or am i missing something? Do you mean Ryan Nelson?

So you believe Enic Wanted Lucas Neil,Louis Saha,Steven Pienaar,Robbie Keane after they couldn't wait to sell him to Liverpool,Paschal Chimbonda after they couldn't wait to sell him to Sunderland?
    mushykeogh wrote: »
    Why is Lucas Neill being mentioned? He never played for spurs. Or am i missing something? Do you mean Ryan Nelson?

Tangent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Ormus wrote: »
    Matter of opinion I guess, he was a total knacker but I never saw a winger get the best of him.

He was constantly linked with the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea.

You're wrong Ormus, admit it for once in your life :o

Anyway way off topic :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

While the thread is a little off topic, anyone else think of Daniel Day Lewis when they see the thread title?

jiltloop wrote: »
    While the thread is a little off topic, anyone else think of Daniel Day Lewis when they see the thread title?

No.

You're wrong Ormus, admit it for once in your life :o

Seriously? Don't see how I can be wrong on a matter of opinion.

Strange that Pool and Chelsea were after him if he was so poor. Strange also that West Ham paid him like 70k a week.

Anyway, enough about him, dunno why he was brought up in the first place seeing as we never signed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

mushykeogh wrote: »

That was my mistake-yes I meant Nelsen,dunno how I got the 2 confused!!
    P.S Neil probably did as much for Spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Well I do now, thanks v much!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭golfball37

We've seen more of his left foot than Eric Lamelas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

golfball37 wrote: »
    We've seen more of his left foot than Eric Lamelas

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Who?

That one just went straight over your head eh?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

irishmover wrote: »

Gomes:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Over his mohican

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭golfball37

Over his mohican
    He's at an age of innocence still, lay off him !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

some of us are so old we are nearly gone back to innocence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Shocking way for a 'top' club to operate

No wonder we never do anything

ENIC are getting richer whilst THFC wins nothing year after year

Don't be duped by these charlatans - they're in it for the money, not the glory.

Don't be duped by these charlatans - they're in it for the money, not the glory.

Maybe you should go and support Chelsea or City. Show me a club owner or business other than them two that are in it for the glory and not for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

That is actually shocking, and if true is a really bad indictment on ENIC.

Maybe you should go and support Chelsea or City. Show me a club owner or business other than them two that are in it for the glory and not for the money

I have to agree with Dublin Spur on this one, if this evidence is true. For the club to perform as it has, considering it has actually been in the red on transfers for the last 5 years to the tune of £20m+, doesn't make me applaud ENIC for running the club well as a business, it makes me wish they were more ambitious on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

SuprSi wrote: »
    I have to agree with Dublin Spur on this one, if this evidence is true. For the club to perform as it has, considering it has actually been in the red on transfers for the last 5 years to the tune of £20m+, doesn't make me applaud ENIC for running the club well as a business, it makes me wish they were more ambitious on the pitch.

Leeds United.

SuprSi wrote: »

Some of you don't be happy till we have Vincent Tan. After the Sugar years and from looking at the vultures that got Man Utd I'm dreading what we get when Enic finally sell up. A venture capitalist will come in, see a highly profitable company, load us with debt to pay off debts the other side of the world and then sell what's left.

Leeds United.

Well that's a completely different extreme and not at all what I'd want or suggest. But Aston Villa have spent £40m more than us over the last 5 years!!

Fair enough Spurs most likely have a higher wage bill so transfer fees aren't the only thing to consider, but it doesn't make good reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I would like to see someone do a proper comparison table for clubs as a whole.

Include things like:
    Player wages levels. Have we seen a big increase in wage levels to attract and retain better players ?
    Running costs of the club in general.
    Stadium and other infrastructure improvements. Is the money being spent on these ?
    Analysis of the income generated by those clubs with a big net spend. Sugar daddy investment ? Leveraging a bigger stadium and bigger income to pay for the spend ?

In other words let someone do a table showing how much profit all 20 clubs have made and how much of that (if any) has actually been withdrawn from the club.

If a proper comprehensive study shows we are being bled dry then fair enough. Until then tables like this are just sensationalist reporting of one aspect to a clubs business.

Some of you don't be happy till we have Vincent Tan. After the Sugar years and from looking at the vultures that got Man Utd I'm dreading what we get when Enic finally sell up. A venture capitalist will come in, see a highly profitable company, load us with debt to pay off debts the other side of the world and then sell what's left.

Again, that's another extreme and not what anybody would want. Am I happy that Spurs are the best team in the league when it comes to making money on player transfers? NO!! In fact I'd go so far as to say it's the thing I'd brag the least about regarding Spurs as I'd just get laughed at!!

• Advertisement

I would like to see someone do a proper comparison table for clubs as a whole.

Include things like:
    Player wages levels. Have we seen a big increase in wage levels to attract and retain better players ?
    Running costs of the club in general.
    Stadium and other infrastructure improvements. Is the money being spent on these ?
    Analysis of the income generated by those clubs with a big net spend. Sugar daddy investment ? Leveraging a bigger stadium and bigger income to pay for the spend.

In other words let someone do a table showing how much profit all 20 clubs have made and how much of that (if any) has actually been withdrawn from the club.

If a proper comprehensive study shows we are being bled dry then fair enough. Until then tables like this are just sensationalist reporting of one aspect to a clubs business.

Good point. The club could be putting money away for the stadium, have higher outgoings than the other clubs, etc. Transfer money isn't the only measure of a clubs financial success.

Without such a study, which I'd imagine would be impossible anyway as clubs would never reveal the whole truth, it's impossible to tell what the full story is.

Advertisement