Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Not really, that's just the asking price and that includes 400m for the completed stadium. Man Utd was bought for 800m 10 yrs ago.

It is the Mirror we're talking about but does it not say on that article that the new owners would be burdening the cost of the stadium. i.e. it's on top of the 1 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Realistically we are the next best prospect for a sugar daddy billionaire looking to invest in the Premier League. Just outside the Top 4 even though our net expenditure is non-existent. Some big players have played for the club recently, resulting in our name being frequently linked to the big boys of European football. Fashionable London-based club with fast growing popularity in the US.

I think Joe's asking price is far too high but a new owner could use our lack of Champions League experience to negotiate a better price easily - knowing that, with a bit of investment, we could be in the Champions League fairly easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Realistically we are the next best prospect for a sugar daddy billionaire looking to invest in the Premier League. Just outside the Top 4 even though our net expenditure is non-existent. Some big players have played for the club recently, resulting in our name being frequently linked to the big boys of European football. Fashionable London-based club with fast growing popularity in the US.

I think Joe's asking price is far too high but a new owner could use our lack of Champions League experience to negotiate a better price easily - knowing that, with a bit of investment, we could be in the Champions League fairly easily.

Good post

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

I'm sure some if the anti Enic crowd are jumping up and down with delight, I'm dreading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I agree, the thoughts of a take over by American investors does not fill me with good feelings. I think Levy and Lewis have been doing a pretty good job all things considered.

Unless it's some Sheikh or Gas/Oil Tycoon with billions at his disposal, I'd be very hesitant to welcome the club being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

jiltloop wrote: »
    I agree, the thoughts of a take over by American investors does not fill me with good feelings. I think Levy and Lewis have been doing a pretty good job all things considered.

Unless it's some Sheikh or Gas/Oil Tycoon with billions at his disposal, I'd be very hesitant to welcome the club being sold.

I'd prefer Spurs to be run as a football club and a business than as a billionaire's toy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Ormus wrote: »
    I'd prefer Spurs to be run as a football club and a business than as a billionaire's toy.

I dunno, in the increasingly unrealistic world of the PL, is there any place for a club being run well as a business without being successful on the pitch? Would your view be the same if (completely hypothetically of course) every other club was funded by an outside source and Spurs ended up fighting relegation every season because of it?

My interest in football is waning, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's an unfortunate situation where not even competing for a trophy, but aiming to finish inside the top 4 would realistically require a club like Spurs to have outside investment. That's sad.

I've gone beyond the point of caring how Spurs is run. Seeing the club break even year on year is not something I give a crap about as at the end of the day, football (as with all sports) is about winning. In 10 years time, will I look back at the last decade and be proud that the team I supported for so long broke even financially yet succeeded at very little whereas those around us lost massive amounts of money every season yet challenged for and won major competitions? Eh, no!

Would I welcome some money-bags Arab funding Spurs? Absolutely. For a chance of having the same sort of happiness that Chelsea and City fans have had, I'd quite happily sacrifice the financial well-being of the club for outside investment - it's not my money!!

It's not all bad of course, I mean Spurs is still a relatively successful team and has some class players. With some luck and time on the managers side, things may happen. But without spending stupid money Spurs will never compete in this league, and that's a shame. It was really nice being in the Champions League but unfortunately it's set expectations high, maybe higher than our 'break-even' financial management will ever allow us to achieve again.

Rant over!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

No way. Football is about winning and glory - I don't card how we get there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I'm not sure it's what I want either, I was merely saying that I'd rather it be sold to such a billionaire than to a load of old American investors looking purely for an investment opportunity, that's only IF it was being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Chelsea and Man City have had a lot of success and they don't exactly have the baliffs knocking at the door. Nobody wants to do a Leeds. On the other hand, what will a US investment firm bring to the table that Lewis and Levy don't already. Will they pump cash in? City had almost overnight success and the way the league has gone its the only way a club like us can achieve the same.

Who knows though, could the announcment by Cain Hoy have been orchestrated by Lewis and Levy in an attempt to force other potential buyers into making a move?

Interesting times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's on the bbc, which is when i usually start to take notice of these types of things.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29177759

Interesting times.

Nervy times. Unsettled times.

I can't complain about the job Levy and Co, have done - it hasn't been ideal but, as the article Ormus pointed out, the Spurs board have their limitations.

Investment is need and new owners are needed, if we are going to challenge for silverware.

Though I agree with Jiltloop, when I first read of American interest I got worried. It's a cultural thing. The club will be viewed more as a money laundering front than a football club. Yes, that is a generalisation based on the experiences of Hicks at Liverpool, Glazier at United and Lerner at Villa. I accept John Henry's takeover of Liverpool has worked well, but he has proved with other sports teams that he doesn't think like a typical American business owner.

Though these are nervy times because we don't know who could be running our club in a year's time, and what their motives are. Uncertainty causes nerves and instability. I'd prefer if Levy & Co. stayed in charge, unless some Arab oil billionaire comes in a pays way above the odds - just because he can! :cool:

SuprSi wrote: »
    I dunno, in the increasingly unrealistic world of the PL, is there any place for a club being run well as a business without being successful on the pitch? Would your view be the same if (completely hypothetically of course) every other club was funded by an outside source and Spurs ended up fighting relegation every season because of it?

My interest in football is waning, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's an unfortunate situation where not even competing for a trophy, but aiming to finish inside the top 4 would realistically require a club like Spurs to have outside investment. That's sad.

I've gone beyond the point of caring how Spurs is run. Seeing the club break even year on year is not something I give a crap about as at the end of the day, football (as with all sports) is about winning. In 10 years time, will I look back at the last decade and be proud that the team I supported for so long broke even financially yet succeeded at very little whereas those around us lost massive amounts of money every season yet challenged for and won major competitions? Eh, no!

Would I welcome some money-bags Arab funding Spurs? Absolutely. For a chance of having the same sort of happiness that Chelsea and City fans have had, I'd quite happily sacrifice the financial well-being of the club for outside investment - it's not my money!!

It's not all bad of course, I mean Spurs is still a relatively successful team and has some class players. With some luck and time on the managers side, things may happen. But without spending stupid money Spurs will never compete in this league, and that's a shame. It was really nice being in the Champions League but unfortunately it's set expectations high, maybe higher than our 'break-even' financial management will ever allow us to achieve again.

Rant over!!

I completely take your point on board and it's well made. But for me, there are some things in football which are starting to seriously annoy me. Cheating is one. Money is the another. I honestly believe that what Man City have achieved is more about money than about football.

I follow football because I like football. Not so I can brag to my mates about trophies. If I was in it for the trophies, I would've chosen to support United like everyone else. I find it comical when people in Ireland have massive arguments about who has won the most titles etc, when really they've played no part in winning anything, all they've done is watch it happen on Sky.

To answer your question, if every other club in the Premiership had a sugar daddy, I'd prefer for Spurs to play in the Championship. At least then we'd be competing on a football basis, and not just having a massive game of monopoly.

I realise I'm in the minority and I'm not trying to convince you that I'm right and you're wrong. It's just my point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm torn on this. In one way I would Love to live through one honest up to last day of the season title challenge. I think the only way to get that these days is the City/Chelsea route.

I reckon it's impossible to become United/Barca/Real anymore. They built up their empire at the right time but if they tried to do it now they would have been swallowed up by the moneybags clubs.

Having said that Ormus is right, there is a certain something about supporting a team that is real (as real as can be anyway) in twenty years that I've been supporting spurs I've seen us Organically grow from a team mid table borderline relegation battles to a team that knocked out AC Milan in the Champions league.

I think maybe it wouldn't have meant as much to me if Bill Gates bought the club and we signed a whole new squad in 18 months.

I guess if I was offered Bill Gates in the morning you'd have to take it but I don't wish for it either ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Lot of rumours that the takeover is very much in progress

https://twitter.com/shootmagazine/status/510457976780378112

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

They're statement said an offer must be made by October 10th.

No expert but surely that means they're currently undertaking due diligence? That suggests to me talks a pretty advanced.

Any acquisitions and mergers eggspurts among us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

They're statement said an offer must be made by October 10th.

No expert but surely that means they're currently undertaking due diligence? That suggests to me talks a pretty advanced.

Any acquisitions and mergers eggspurts among us?

I think it's stock exchange rules that dictate once a formal interest is confirmed that a concrete bid for the shares involved has to be made within a certain time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Would love to see us succeed with our current owners as a 'normal' well run club, but that's never going to happen :(

In saying that, I'm not sure these Yanks would be much better :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

I'm sure some if the anti Enic crowd are jumping up and down with delight, I'm dreading this.

You're right I am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Bit worried about this one. For all the faults we have with the current owners, atleast we know what we're getting. This happening potentially midway through the season isn't a good thing either.

We looking at another year of transition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

irishmover wrote: »
    Bit worried about this one. For all the faults we have with the current owners, atleast we know what we're getting. This happening potentially midway through the season isn't a good thing either.

We looking at another year of transition?

For one reason or another most seasons at WHL are tranisional ones.

Anyway if this takeover happens (fingers crossed) it's unlikely to be anytime soon.

interesting......

If Daniel Levy is so sharp, how come Tottenham Hotspur could end up playing at Milton Keynes? We all know Levy’s well-polished reputation. Hard-nosed, no-nonsense negotiator; likes a bargain and drives a harder one. A fearsome adversary on transfer deadline day, Levy extracts the last penny of value from every deal, the epitome of the modern chairman-manager. Even so, Milton Keynes. That’s got to hurt.

It is increasingly likely that Tottenham Hotspur will now spend a season away from White Hart Lane, a problem caused by Levy meeting his match in the obstinate negotiating stakes.

Josif Josif is the boss of Archway Sheet Metal, the one company standing in the way of Tottenham’s local relocation. He has been in business for 50 years and Tottenham have been trying to buy his land for 10. Despite threats and abuse from Tottenham’s most extreme elements, Josif stands firm. It turns out Levy is not the only one capable of digging in his heels.

And there is the problem. Talk to people in football and Levy’s reputation goes before him, as much as any high maintenance player. He’s the man who never knows when to stop dealing, never knows when he’s won, or lost, when to just shake hands, close the deal and quit haggling.

If he gets £80million for a player, he leaves the room dissatisfied that he didn’t get more; if he bids a club down to £10 million, he’ll make a final play for nine. One of the reasons his club cannot find a home in London is that rivals are wary of cutting a deal with Levy.

What a mess. How could Tottenham, who are basically moving next door, not have their schedule in place when the project began? How could a club that has been on the same premises at White Hart Lane since the 19th century end up being shunted 50 miles up the M1?

Levy’s options are dwindling. He regards Wembley as too big, his ploy to buy Upton Park failed, West Ham United are hugely resistant to sharing the Olympic Stadium in what would be their first season, while Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium is out of the question: the police bill alone would be astronomical. Yet Levy must have known all of this when Tottenham entered their rebuilding phase. What the hell happened?

Recent years have not been kind to Levy. He sold a player for £80m who turned out to be worth, well, £80m, and spent the money on a group worth substantially less. He sacked a manager who had got Tottenham into the Champions League and the club have not trod that path since. Now this. There is talk of a takeover at his club, too. Would any new owner find room for Tottenham’s chairman on current form? Probably not.
    For Tottenham to play even half a season in Milton Keynes is a calamity. There is no point pretending urban migration has made this a home from home. Tottenham Hotspur Football Club predates the town of Milton Keynes by 85 years. It is older, even, than Milton Friedman and John Maynard Keynes, the two economists urban myth-makers claim gave the town its name.

Yes, some fans will have moved from north London to the far Home Counties, but there are plenty who still live within 30 minutes of the ground. The distance travelled to Milton Keynes constitutes a weekend break for them.

So Levy has messed up. The arch-negotiator is embarking on a season with a new manager — his third in less than a year — another reshuffled team and a short-term future at a ground nearer to Coventry City than its spiritual home in N17. In any language, that’s a deal breaker.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2755599/Tottenham-end-playing-Milton-Keynes-s-got-hurt-Daniel-Levy.html#ixzz3DNRCyKwa

interesting......

If Daniel Levy is so sharp, how come Tottenham Hotspur could end up playing at Milton Keynes? We all know Levy’s well-polished reputation. Hard-nosed, no-nonsense negotiator; likes a bargain and drives a harder one. A fearsome adversary on transfer deadline day, Levy extracts the last penny of value from every deal, the epitome of the modern chairman-manager. Even so, Milton Keynes. That’s got to hurt.

It is increasingly likely that Tottenham Hotspur will now spend a season away from White Hart Lane, a problem caused by Levy meeting his match in the obstinate negotiating stakes.

Josif Josif is the boss of Archway Sheet Metal, the one company standing in the way of Tottenham’s local relocation. He has been in business for 50 years and Tottenham have been trying to buy his land for 10. Despite threats and abuse from Tottenham’s most extreme elements, Josif stands firm. It turns out Levy is not the only one capable of digging in his heels.

And there is the problem. Talk to people in football and Levy’s reputation goes before him, as much as any high maintenance player. He’s the man who never knows when to stop dealing, never knows when he’s won, or lost, when to just shake hands, close the deal and quit haggling.

If he gets £80million for a player, he leaves the room dissatisfied that he didn’t get more; if he bids a club down to £10 million, he’ll make a final play for nine. One of the reasons his club cannot find a home in London is that rivals are wary of cutting a deal with Levy.

What a mess. How could Tottenham, who are basically moving next door, not have their schedule in place when the project began? How could a club that has been on the same premises at White Hart Lane since the 19th century end up being shunted 50 miles up the M1?

Levy’s options are dwindling. He regards Wembley as too big, his ploy to buy Upton Park failed, West Ham United are hugely resistant to sharing the Olympic Stadium in what would be their first season, while Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium is out of the question: the police bill alone would be astronomical. Yet Levy must have known all of this when Tottenham entered their rebuilding phase. What the hell happened?

Recent years have not been kind to Levy. He sold a player for £80m who turned out to be worth, well, £80m, and spent the money on a group worth substantially less. He sacked a manager who had got Tottenham into the Champions League and the club have not trod that path since. Now this. There is talk of a takeover at his club, too. Would any new owner find room for Tottenham’s chairman on current form? Probably not.
    For Tottenham to play even half a season in Milton Keynes is a calamity. There is no point pretending urban migration has made this a home from home. Tottenham Hotspur Football Club predates the town of Milton Keynes by 85 years. It is older, even, than Milton Friedman and John Maynard Keynes, the two economists urban myth-makers claim gave the town its name.

Yes, some fans will have moved from north London to the far Home Counties, but there are plenty who still live within 30 minutes of the ground. The distance travelled to Milton Keynes constitutes a weekend break for them.

So Levy has messed up. The arch-negotiator is embarking on a season with a new manager — his third in less than a year — another reshuffled team and a short-term future at a ground nearer to Coventry City than its spiritual home in N17. In any language, that’s a deal breaker.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2755599/Tottenham-end-playing-Milton-Keynes-s-got-hurt-Daniel-Levy.html#ixzz3DNRCyKwa

Does the Daily Fail not see the contradiction in writing an article about how Levy is too tough a negotiator, using as an example him wasting the Bale money on players who were worth less than what he paid?

So if he drives a hard bargain, he's at fault, and if he pays up, he's wasting money.

The truth is that every chairman of every club tries to get the best business deal for their club every single time. It's kinda what they're there for.

I think driving a hard bargin is fine and long as it's not too hard and scuppers the deal, we saw this with Moutinho and it nearly happened again with Lloris.

As I have said before on numerous occaisions, Levy is not an awful chairman, he's a very astute business man. My difficulty is that his loyalty is to ENIC first and THFC second, I would like owners who are souly focused on making THFC the best they can be. I don't think ENIC are doing this.

Everything is so unexciting and predicable these days - WHL is like a morgue !

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2014/09/tottenham-issue-official-confirmation-of-their-share-prices-ahead-of-possible-takeover-bid/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+offthepost%2FTLAa+%28Off+The+Post%29

Tottenham have published details of their current share price on their website in order to comply with takeover laws.

US investement firm Cain Hoy has declared an official interest in buying the club, which meant Spurs had to state their share prices.

A short statement on the official Spurs website read: “In accordance with Rule 2.10 of the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers (the “Code”), THFC confirms that, as at the close of business on 12 September 2014, it had 213,102,209 ordinary shares of 5 pence each in issue.

“The International Securities Identification Number for THFC shares is GB0008962986.”

That tallies with a statement from Cain Hoy on Friday claiming they had until 10 October to make an offer or walk away from the deal.

Under takeover and merger protocol, once Spurs were informed that somebody was interested in a takeover bid, which Cain Hoy did on Friday, they had to publicise certain details relating to their shares.

An official offer period of a month is now underway, during which Cain Hoy must decide whether or not to proceed with the bid.

• Advertisement

I think driving a hard bargin is fine and long as it's not too hard and scuppers the deal, we saw this with Moutinho and it nearly happened again with Lloris.

As I have said before on numerous occaisions, Levy is not an awful chairman, he's a very astute business man. My difficulty is that his loyalty is to ENIC first and THFC second, I would like owners who are souly focused on making THFC the best they can be. I don't think ENIC are doing this.

Everything is so unexciting and predicable these days - WHL is like a morgue !

Moutinho is only one deal out of hundreds Levy has overseen. Of course there are other deals that haven't gotten over the line, same as every club and every chairman.

It's in every chairman's best interest to make the club the best it can be. There's simply no way those two goals can diverge.

Advertisement