Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    The lads at Southampton managed to get the jist? His English is fine, no worse then Scolari/Ancelotti.

its much worse than ancelloti's .

Why are our players saying so they dont understand what he is asking them to do ? They dont understand the words press / tackle/ pass etc - they must be more idiotic then we already think :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

My take on our system is....

When we have the ball we have the inverted wingers, who when on the ball, they cut inside and interchange, and this allows the fullbacks to have the whole flank to themselves...( something i think Walker would relish).
    When the opposition have the ball, we close them down, hunt in packs...which was very evident in the USA tour, but i havent seen much of it lately...maybe because their LAZY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

mickman wrote:
    Poch . You ever heard his interviews ?

I did, which is why I was surprised.
    I think his English is grand. as good as several other managers and better then some epl players

what's all this about some players saying they don't understand him or understand what they are supposed to be doing. I don't like the sound of that but I haven't seen anything reported elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I did, which is why I was surprised.
    I think his English is grand. as good as several other managers and better then some epl players

what's all this about some players saying they don't understand him or understand what they are supposed to be doing. I don't like the sound of that but I haven't seen anything reported elsewhere

Go to the post on ade and read what he has to say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Hatch99 wrote: »

Am I reading this correctly?

The valuation of the club is £1bn. ENIC bought Spurs for around £80m. Even allowing for inflation the club is potentially valued at 10 times the initial cost to ENIC and all this without investing any money into the club i.e. our cost neutral transfer policy.

So, do Lewis and Levy stand to make a couple of £'00m profit when they inevitably sell?

Hatch99 wrote: »

The valuation of the club is £1bn. ENIC bought Spurs for around £80m. Even allowing for inflation the club is potentially valued at 10 times the initial cost to ENIC and all this without investing any money into the club i.e. our cost neutral transfer policy.

So, do Lewis and Levy stand to make a couple of £'00m profit when they inevitably sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

You sure they didn't invest any money into the club? I'm sure you realise there's more to running a club than just buying and selling players.

irishmover wrote: »
    You sure they didn't invest any money into the club? I'm sure you realise there's more to running a club than just buying and selling players.

I do. Are you aware of any capital investment made by ENIC?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I do. Are you aware of any capital investment made by ENIC?

The wasted money on trying to get the stadium up and going. The training centre. Players wages. Local youth development programs. I'm sure there's plenty more.

They'll definitely make money but just because they break even/make a small profit in the transfer market doesn't mean that they're set to gain an absolute fortune from their investment. I have no idea how much they've actually spent on the club, neither do you so this discussion won't go anywhere. I was simply just making sure you understood there's more to running a club than buying and selling players.

They won't get £1b for the club though that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/2014/11/s4e15-nineteen-eighty-four/

i listen to the podcasts on a wednesday morning going to work...
    This one is about EnicOUT ...95mins....decent enough most weeks.

Also The Spurs Show with Phil Cornwall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭LostArt

Value of club and "stadium" is 1bn, based on that the club alone is somewhere in the region of 400m - 500m, which in itself is a massive profit for Lewis and Levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

they will sell up when someone meets their massively overinflated valuation

until then we're stuck with the paracites in an everending world of averageness and new managers

hey ho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

they will sell up when someone meets their massively overinflated valuation

until then we're stuck with the paracites in an everending world of averageness and new managers

hey ho :)

We'll get Vincent Tan and you'll be jumping for joy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

The wasted money on trying to get the stadium up and going. The training centre. Players wages. Local youth development programs. I'm sure there's plenty more.

Money wasted on drawings and legal bills for the new stadium, maybe.

The training centre capital was borrowed and does not have to paid back for a while (I didn't negotiate the deal, but it's referred to in the shareholders' annual report.)

Wages are paid for with tickets sales, merchandise sales and so on. Our net spend has been cut over the last few years due to rising wage costs (i.e. wages are not coming out of ENIC's pocket.)

Local youth development programmes, can't cost that much though I imagine Spurs are afforded a level of tax incentives based on their community work - net cost to ENIC will be next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

The £1bn valuation being bandied about is ridiculous, as everyone knows. Though I assume it is a potential value of the club IF the stadium is built and IF we get Champions League Football. After all, they will be selling to investors.... these people don't want to hear that their investment will meander over the next few years with a possibility of making a million here or there.

Realistically ENIC will sell majority shareholding for £300m or something, request that DL stays chairman for a certain period of time (maybe after the stadium is built) and agree an inflated price for the rest of their shares.

To be noted, the actual value of the club currently is £340 according to Forbes.

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    We'll get Vincent Tan and you'll be jumping for joy

no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

They'll definitely make money but just because they break even/make a small profit in the transfer market doesn't mean that they're set to gain an absolute fortune from their investment. I have no idea how much they've actually spent on the club, neither do you so this discussion won't go anywhere. I was simply just making sure you understood there's more to running a club than buying and selling players.

They won't get £1b for the club though that's for sure.

So you're assuming the money for the stadium project, the training centre, the players wages and the local youth development projects are all funded by ENIC and not the club?

Thanks for the lesson, here was me thinking we gave all out gate money to sky and Alan Sugar picked up the wage bill..

What we do know is how much they paid for the club when they acquired the shares. We could also assume that the club is not loss making and the balance sheet is fairly healthy, as the annual reports suggest http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/the-club/investor-relations/annual-reports/ the club is returning profits every year (excluding player trading).

ENIC and the spineless players are the only ones doing well out of spurs

Levy and Lewis will land an absolute fortune when they finally piss off

Depressing period in our history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Blaming Levy is hilarious. I wonder are some people still saying he shouldn't have sold Bale.

All the people who said the Bale money shouldn't have been spent on foreigners are presumably gobsmacked at the progress of Southampton this season. They've gone very quiet though.

Ormus wrote: »
    Blaming Levy is hilarious. I wonder are some people still saying he shouldn't have sold Bale.

Are you for real? I think even Levy blames Levy at this stage, hence he's conceded the recruitment policy to Pochettino and is now bringing in Paul Mitchell who as you've stated has recruited extremely well at Southampton.

Did you listen to Comoli's words during the week (interview on off the ball too) about our shambolic scouting system? He's obviously got an axe to grind but Levy is fully responsible for our scouting network and the spending of £135m, our biggest spend in history via one man in Baldini based on little data and a few key agents.

Keep waving your little ENIC flag mate;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Are you for real? I think even Levy blames Levy at this stage, hence he's conceded the recruitment policy to Pochettino and is now bringing in Paul Mitchell who as you've stated has recruited extremely well at Southampton.

Did you listen to Comoli's words during the week (interview on off the ball too) about our shambolic scouting system? He's obviously got an axe to grind but Levy is fully responsible for our scouting network and the spending of £135m, our biggest spend in history via one man in Baldini based on little data and a few key agents.

Keep waving your little ENIC flag mate;)

You're naive if you thought there was any chance Commolli would bang a different drum.

Baldini has been awful but he came with a good reputation and was a sound appointment without the benefit of hindsight. Not one poster here said any different at the time, not one.

Fans need someone to blame and the buck stops with Levy. But don't confuse that with him being actually to blame.

Only time will tell. We'll see how new owners or a new chairman do. Probably sooner rather than later, although who knows. Just don't expect a magic wand.

Lol, Damien Comolli, guys been sacked at every club he's been to

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, i wouldn't use Comolli as an example of anything good. We absolutely hated the guy when he was at the club (iirc).

Everything that happens at THFC (good and bad) is a result of decisions made by the chairman /owners. All roads lead to Levy and Lewis.

In ENIC's tenure so far, we peaked at around 2010-12 and are now back were we started 13 years ago.

ENIC absolutely deserve credit for getting us to the heights of 2010/12 but they also deserve criticism for the decisions they made that have taken us massively backwards since. It also worth noting that 2001 to 2005 were utterly shambolic years as well.

Most supporters are sick of it and this has been reflected in attendance figures and the deafening silence around WHL on Match-days - it's a sad period for this great club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Everything that happens at THFC (good and bad) is a result of decisions made by the chairman /owners. All roads lead to Levy and Lewis.

In ENIC's tenure so far, we peaked at around 2010-12 and are now back were we started 13 years ago.

ENIC absolutely deserve credit for getting us to the heights of 2010/12 but they also deserve criticism for the decisions they made that have taken us massively backwards since. It also worth noting that 2001 to 2005 were utterly shambolic years as well.

Most supporters are sick of it and this has been reflected in attendance figures and the deafening silence around WHL on Match-days - it's a sad period for this great club.

Agree with all of this really, ENIC did take us to the heights in 2010 - 2012, a period which we all loved, but failed to go to the next step and have created a mess since. Like all other businesses the buck stops with the chief so therefore the buck stops with Levy. WHL is like a morgue now and as a person who travels fairly regulary it is really easy to get tickets now.

Ormus wrote: »
    You're naive if you thought there was any chance Commolli would bang a different drum.

Baldini has been awful but he came with a good reputation and was a sound appointment without the benefit of hindsight. Not one poster here said any different at the time, not one.

Fans need someone to blame and the buck stops with Levy. But don't confuse that with him being actually to blame.

Only time will tell. We'll see how new owners or a new chairman do. Probably sooner rather than later, although who knows. Just don't expect a magic wand.

As I said, he's obviously got an axe to grind but he was brought in to sign players undervalued in the market and in hindsight he brought in two of our best ever players in Bale and Modric. His scouting is data driven (sabremetrics style) the same way Paul Mitchell's is. Of course everyone points to Andy Carroll as his biggest failure but they did swap Torres and Babel for Suarez and Carroll.

Baldini had a reputation for being a guy with a lot of connections and a guy who could strike a deal. That's all well and good but who's scouting the players? Who's identifying the players before Baldini/Levy get involved?

This "but don't confuse that with him being actually to blame" leaves me totally confused.. Who is to blame for our club & team looking completely rudderless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

236EDC1F00000578-2846328-image-69_1416766033432.jpg

Advertisement