Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options
1484950515254»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I think the Villa situation has been brought about by an owner who's lost all interest in his investment and has been looking to sell for 3-4 years. I would be interested to hear Martin O'Neill's take on it. The demise seemed to begin with his departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭golfball37

I think the Villa situation has been brought about by an owner who's lost all interest in his investment and has been looking to sell for 3-4 years. I would be interested to hear Martin O'Neill's take on it. The demise seemed to begin with his departure.

O'Neill was the problem more like, signing lads like Habib Beye from Hull on 80k a week. Owner couldn't sustain it any longer.

golfball37 wrote: »
    O'Neill was the problem more like, signing lads like Habib Beye from Hull on 80k a week. Owner couldn't sustain it any longer.

Their league position with O'Neill versus since O'Neill would suggest he did a fine job there.

Bit harsh to throw individual signings at him, look as us and David Bentley for example. Every signing is a calculated punt and can potentially fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

golfball37 wrote: »

Yeah although I dunno if it's fair to blame O'Neill completely for that. He bought very badly and he bought old players on high wages. But a club should have a treasurer or accountant who controls what the manager spends. Generally a manager will just spend whatever is put in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭golfball37

O'Neill by in large played the same 11 every week so much do that villa were knackered when it came to the business end of the season and always faded badly. He had squad players he signed on ridiculous wages, whom he didn't deem good enough when push came to shove. Having a bench on bigger wages than the Tottenham first team at times. His playing style can only be successful in a league setting with rotation unless you are managing one of the big two in Scotland where it's easier not to win the bloody thing some years. Even at that he lost two leagues on final day toRangers when Celtic were big favourites.

Lerner turned off the tap one summer and mon was gone. I think int football suits him better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

As ormus says the manager is going to spend wats infront of him.

Simply put for me would villa rather be a top half of the table team spending silly money on wages or watching their current XI.

If Lerner really wanted to sell for the past 4 years then he should have continued putting money in to make the proposition more attractive for potential buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

MrKingsley wrote:
    As ormus says the manager is going to spend wats infront of him.

Unless it's Wenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Around about £50000 a week before tax. Not to mention his shares in the club aswell. Personally I don't really see an issue with that.

He's invested in the club both financially and emotionally. I really don't care what anyone else has to say he's worked very hard to get himself and the club to where it is today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, that's a normal enough salary for someone in his position. As above, he's put a lot into the club, and anyone who says we haven't become more financially secure under his tenure is taking the piss. The club is probably in a better position now than it's ever been, with fantastic youth facilities and a brand new stadium on the horizon.

• Advertisement

He's done very well as the chairman of a business
    Under ENIC we have never been more financially secure

His greatest move on the football side of things was hiring Pochintino. Some critics would say that it was just another speculative punt (like Santini, Ramos, Jol, AVB, Sherwood etc..) that actually ending up being a roaring success. Maybe this is true or maybe there was something more clever behind the appointment. I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on this.

Pochintino has worked miracles with negative net spend - Levy needs to take us forward from here and not let this season be a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

His greatest move on the football side of things was hiring Pochintino. Some critics would say that it was just another speculative punt (like Santini, Ramos, Jol, AVB, Sherwood etc..) that actually ending up being a roaring success. Maybe this is true or maybe there was something more clever behind the appointment. I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on this.

I'd agree that the others were speculative punts, but Poch was given a five year contract. Which is unusual for Levy. I think he gave up on the speculative punts and put some serious consideration in to the footballing future of the club when we put his faith in Poch to the tune of a five year contract. It gave me a lot of confidence anyway.

How could a managerial appointment be anything other than a speculative punt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Ormus wrote: »
    How could a managerial appointment be anything other than a speculative punt?

One look at Chelsea tells us that's exactly what it is, even re hiring a successful manager is a speculative punt

One look at Chelsea tells us that's exactly what it is, even re hiring a successful manager is a speculative punt

Perfect example. Mourinho was about as close to a sure thing as it gets, and even that was a speculative punt.

Just floating a theory here....

I have never seen Spurs sign so many players to new contract extensions in such a short period of time.

There are a number of reasons you would tie your players to longer contracts, the most obvious one is that you want to keep your best players at the club.

However, another reason, is that you want to offer investors proof of stability.

Could Levy be preparing the club for a sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Could Levy be preparing the club for a sale?

This week - "I've been here 16 years, and I'd very much hope to be here very much for the long term," said Levy.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    This week - "I've been here 16 years, and I'd very much hope to be here very much for the long term," said Levy.

If he's in the middle of very private negotiations over the sale of the club, he'd hardly announce it.

Anyway, it was just a theory. There's been rumours that Joe Lewis has told Levy to get £1bn for the club. With the stadium on the way, CL football, the new TV deal and all our best players signed to new contracts - our club has never looked so attractive to investors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

If he's in the middle of very private negotiations over the sale of the club, he'd hardly announce it.

Anyway, it was just a theory. There's been rumours that Joe Lewis has told Levy to get £1bn for the club. With the stadium on the way, CL football, the new TV deal and all our best players signed to new contracts - our club has never looked so attractive to investors.

If they ever revise Murder She Wrote, put yourself in the frame for the lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Stock certainly is at an all time high. You'd think the manager and players would like mutual assurances though i.e. contracts signed in same time period. (i'll sign if he signs.. etc..)

• Advertisement

Advertisement