Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

hang on, nobody is suggesting we should get into massive debt

we spent 2mil Net this summer, that's a joke for a club of our size

ENIC are not interested in making Spurs great, they are only interested in making money for themselves

When we've got such a small stadium, spending must be curtailed. In recent years the club has only posted a profit because of a net income on player trading. Without a larger income base (new stadium or guaranteed CL qualification) then it's just not possible to compete with the oligarchs, etc.

spursprofittrend.jpg

(Source: Swiss Ramble)

I think that ENIC are doing a good job considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Nobody's suggesting we throw caution to the windw and wrecklessy spend £75m on the likes of Downing, Henderson and Carroll (always gives me a laugh:D)...

But, since our run in the Champions League we banked £30m on transfers combined with the £20m or so we received for our run in the tournament does anyone ever wonder why no investment?
    http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/tottenham-hotspur-transfers.html

We apparently bid £35m for Rossi last season, without Modric money in the bag. I'll be delighted if this is all part of a strategy towards having a new stadium and keeping funds to buy players (not being stuck like
    Arsenal) but to me it sounds more like ENIC are just priming the club to be sold to the highest bidding oligarch...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Hatch99 wrote: »

And they say fans are fickle?!:D

I don't know why some fans who want us to 100% finance the building of new stadium and indebt the club so we're forced to selling all of our best players don't p1ss off and follow Arsenal;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/343545/Andre-Villas-Boas-s-missed-targets

Some interesting points here, especially regarding Verthongen and not starting against Newcastle.

• Advertisement

KingdomYid wrote: »
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/343545/Andre-Villas-Boas-s-missed-targets

Some interesting points here, especially regarding Verthongen and not starting against Newcastle.

You reckon? I thought it sounded like the express making up news..

Think Vert wasn't thrown in against Newcastle as a home game is usually better for a debut. Do Anderson and Dembele play similar styles? Sounded to me like AVB was a big fan of Lloris as he was waxing lyrical about him during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Tottenham Hotspur's failure to sign Joao Moutinho on transfer deadline day was caused by a dispute over their principal transfer target's financial terms compounded by Porto's decision to increase their asking price a mere hour before Friday's window closed.

The Portuguese champions are said to have "behaved very badly," according to a participant in the negotiations.

The transfer looked set to go through by mid-afternoon on Friday when Daniel Levy, the Tottenham chairman, agreed a transfer fee of €25 million (Dh112.5m) plus a further €3m in performance-related variables.

Moutinho, whose salary in Portugal is close to €2m net, then rejected the personal terms on offer at White Hart Lane, so Porto instructed the midfielder to fly to the Algarve for Saturday's league match at Olhanense.

Several further rounds of negotiations ensued during which Andre Villas-Boas telephoned Moutinho to persuade him to accept an improved contract offer, ultimately securing the player's consent at 10pm UK time.

Porto, however, refused to complete the deal, asking for a 25 per cent increase in the transfer fee on the basis that the player's financial terms had been improved so theirs should be, too.

Infuriated by Porto's brinkmanship but anxious to furnish his new coach with the strongest squad possible, Levy increased the total value of Tottenham's offer to €30m.

Though Porto agreed to these terms 10 minutes before England's 11pm deadline, contractual documents they provided to the Premier League contained errors that could not be rectified in time to complete the transfer.

At 11.30pm, Tottenham conceded defeat on the deal.

Makes sense, AVB maintained throughout that Porto are an extremely difficult club to do business with. I guess you could say Levy got a taste of his own medicine. I'd say we'll be back in for him in January provided he doesn't draw too much attention in the Champions League..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Ormus wrote: »
    Tottenham Hotspur's failure to sign Joao Moutinho on transfer deadline day was caused by a dispute over their principal transfer target's financial terms compounded by Porto's decision to increase their asking price a mere hour before Friday's window closed.

The Portuguese champions are said to have "behaved very badly," according to a participant in the negotiations.

The transfer looked set to go through by mid-afternoon on Friday when Daniel Levy, the Tottenham chairman, agreed a transfer fee of €25 million (Dh112.5m) plus a further €3m in performance-related variables.

Moutinho, whose salary in Portugal is close to €2m net, then rejected the personal terms on offer at White Hart Lane, so Porto instructed the midfielder to fly to the Algarve for Saturday's league match at Olhanense.

Several further rounds of negotiations ensued during which Andre Villas-Boas telephoned Moutinho to persuade him to accept an improved contract offer, ultimately securing the player's consent at 10pm UK time.

Porto, however, refused to complete the deal, asking for a 25 per cent increase in the transfer fee on the basis that the player's financial terms had been improved so theirs should be, too.

Infuriated by Porto's brinkmanship but anxious to furnish his new coach with the strongest squad possible, Levy increased the total value of Tottenham's offer to €30m.

Though Porto agreed to these terms 10 minutes before England's 11pm deadline, contractual documents they provided to the Premier League contained errors that could not be rectified in time to complete the transfer.

At 11.30pm, Tottenham conceded defeat on the deal.

Very interesting alright. If only we had tried to tie up the deal a few days if not weeks earlier. I agree that if true it would be a taste of his own medicine for Levy.

I hope this deal is dead for good. I like Moutinho, I think he is a nice little player, but there is no way he is worth €30m. Especially as we have Dembele for that position.

I'm sure every time we lose a game there will be people saying Moutinho would have won it for us.

If we spend €30m it should be on a winger/striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Levy's decision to do the deal on the final day meant there was no to time to iron out the issues

when will the man learn that this is not the way to do business ?

we now have 1 point after 3 games, guess he learnt nothing from last seasons poor start

football sucess is clearly not his main priority

in 11.5 years of ENIC we've had , 9 managers, 1 trophy, 1 Champions League season, 3 relegation battles

At the same time our ticket prices are the 3rd highest in the league

disgraceful

Levy's decision to do the deal on the final day meant there was no to time to iron out the issues

when will the man learn that this is not the way to do business ?

we now have 1 point after 3 games, guess he learnt nothing from last seasons poor start

football sucess is clearly not his main priority

in 11.5 years of ENIC we've had , 9 managers, 1 trophy, 1 Champions League season, 3 relegation battles

At the same time our ticket prices are the 3rd highest in the league

disgraceful

Yeah cos before he took over we were regulars in the Champions League, had great managerial stability, winning trophies all round us and on sound financial footing.

He clearly knows nothing about business. Adebayor and Dempsey only got 41 goals between them last season. For a million more than we paid for those two we could have bought Steven Fletcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I hope this deal is dead for good. I like Moutinho, I think he is a nice little player, but there is no way he is worth €30m. Especially as we have Dembele for that position.

I'm sure every time we lose a game there will be people saying Moutinho would have won it for us.

If we spend €30m it should be on a winger/striker.
    Agreed on all of the above, 30 mill on a proven striker would of made a lot more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

We should be lucky we have Levy, just look at Liverpool :D

Yeah cos before he took over we were regulars in the Champions League, had great managerial stability, winning trophies all round us and on sound financial footing.

Okay, so you're happy as long as we're in better shape than when ENIC took over ? Fair enough if that's your view, but I don't agree with it.

I acknowledge that our finishing league position has improved over the past few seasons and this is good, but over the full time ENIC have been in charge the difference in our league placing comapred with the Sugar years is marginal, our average placing is still around 8th/9th since ENIC took over.

Trophy wise, Sugar's time delivered an FA cup and a League Cup, in the 11.5 years under ENIC we have landed 1 league cup. That's 1 trophy 13 years and that's our poorest run since the war.

On top of all of that we're paying the 3rd highest ticket prices in the country.
    This is indefendable in my view.

The above are facts, not opinions.

I think I'm begining to sound like a broken record on this topic but I don't think the info is sinking in properly

Okay, so you're happy as long as we're in better shape than when ENIC took over ? Fair enough if that's your view, but I don't agree with it.

I acknowledge that our finishing league position has improved over the past few seasons and this is good, but over the full time ENIC have been in charge the difference in our league placing comapred with the Sugar years is marginal, our average placing is still around 8th/9th since ENIC took over.

Trophy wise, Sugar's time delivered an FA cup and a League Cup, in the 11.5 years under ENIC we have landed 1 league cup. That's 1 trophy 13 years and that's our poorest run since the war.

On top of all of that we're paying the 3rd highest ticket prices in the country.
    This is indefendable in my view.

The above are facts, not opinions.

I think I'm begining to sound like a broken record on this topic but I don't think the info is sinking in properly

But you ignore the important facts and you always do. Our best finishes have come in the last 3 years. Progress. Improvement. Fact.

Clubs which aim to qualify for the Champions League prioritise that over the FA and League Cups. The FA Cup used to be a big deal for top clubs. It's not anymore. It's a nice day out and nice to win, but it is nothing compared to Champions League qualification. That is how you measure success for the top 6 or so clubs in the country. Times have moved on. The papers still talk about silverware but that's just to drum up interest. The clubs show where their priorities lie in the teams they select and the effort they put in.

3rd highest ticket prices eh? Good! We get tiny crowds compared to our rivals so we need to maximise our revenue. I'm sure I'd moan about it more if I lived in North London but I don't. We're about the 5th best team in the Premiership so I don't see how shocking it is that we have the 3rd highest ticket price.

In the last seven seasons we've come 5th three times and 4th twice that's fairly impressive for a club without the spending power of Chelsea or either Manchester clubs.

I actually think you're contradicting yourself here mate. You will be the first person to say that the Europa League is not worth a fiddlers and by that logic either are the FA or League Cups. Fair enough I'd like to win the odd cup trophy but you and me both would have rather been in the Champions League draw last week than the 2nd tier Europa League!

Well I guess it's the old story of opinions.

I expect more from the owners of Tottenham Hotspur FC than just delivering an improved league position, 1 trophy and 1 CL qualification in nearly 12 years.

If you think this is something to be happy with because we were a bit poorer under the previous owner(s) that's your own business, and obviously you're going to be happier with them than I am.

Each to their own at the end of the day
    But while ENIC remain in charge:
    1. we will never be a force in the game
    2. we will always sell our best players
    3. we will always pay top dollar for the "privilege" of seeing a game

That's not my idea of a good time

But you ignore the important facts and you always do. Our best finishes have come in the last 3 years. Progress. Improvement. Fact.

Clubs which aim to qualify for the Champions League prioritise that over the FA and League Cups. The FA Cup used to be a big deal for top clubs. It's not anymore. It's a nice day out and nice to win, but it is nothing compared to Champions League qualification. That is how you measure success for the top 6 or so clubs in the country. Times have moved on. The papers still talk about silverware but that's just to drum up interest. The clubs show where their priorities lie in the teams they select and the effort they put in.

3rd highest ticket prices eh? Good! We get tiny crowds compared to our rivals so we need to maximise our revenue. I'm sure I'd moan about it more if I lived in North London but I don't. We're about the 5th best team in the Premiership so I don't see how shocking it is that we have the 3rd highest ticket price.

how is this a good thing, being charged for an inferior product
    if you pay Merc money, you expect Merc quality, not Rover

The THFC product comes at a premium, but the quality is not high end.
    That's the ENIC way, they squeeze the cash out of the supporters with no real rewards.

so the supporters get stung, no wonder they booed on Saturday, everyone has a breaking point

Well I guess it's the old story of opinions.

I expect more from the owners of Tottenham Hotspur FC than just delivering an improved league position, 1 trophy and 1 CL qualification in nearly 12 years.

If you think this is something to be happy with because we were a bit poorer under the previous owner(s) that's your own business, and obviously you're going to be happier with them than I am.

Each to their own at the end of the day
    But while ENIC remain in charge:
    1. we will never be a force in the game
    2. we will always sell our best players
    3. we will always pay top dollar for the "privilege" of seeing a game

That's not my idea of a good time

You expect more than improvement. OK.

And even though we have improved and have shown accelerated improvement in recent seasons, you can categorically say that we will never make more significant improvement.

Your logic is excellent.

What do you get out of "supporting" Spurs? I use the term loosely. Do you actually enjoy it?

• Advertisement

how is this a good thing, being charged for an inferior product
    if you pay Merc money, you expect Merc quality, not Rover

The THFC product comes at a premium, but the quality is not high end.
    That's the ENIC way, they squeeze the cash out of the supporters with no real rewards.

so the supporters get stung, no wonder they booed on Saturday, everyone has a breaking point

We are about the 5th best team in the country and we are in London. Why is it so strange that we happen to have the 3rd highest ticket prices?

If you don't like the quality, then do not pay for it. If you want a Merc and you think Spurs are a Rover, do not buy the Rover.

You expect more than improvement. OK.

And even though we have improved and have shown accelerated improvement in recent seasons, you can categorically say that we will never make more significant improvement.

Your logic is excellent.

What do you get out of "supporting" Spurs? I use the term loosely. Do you actually enjoy it?

I'll ignore your sarcisim and it's a little childish and uncalled for.

Having issues with the owners doesn't prevent me from enjoying the experience of supporting Spurs. Why should it ? If I didn't care about the club, I wouldn't have the opionions I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I must say that the days of selling our best players "by choice " are over. Modric wanted to go so thats different and even then we made him stay another year.

Dont think levy seeks to sell our best players anymore

We are about the 5th best team in the country and we are in London. Why is it so strange that we happen to have the 3rd highest ticket prices?

If you don't like the quality, then do not pay for it. If you want a Merc and you think Spurs are a Rover, do not buy the Rover.

it's been 52 years since we won the league, we sell our best players and yet our ticket prices are the 3rd highest.

fans being exploited, paying top dollar for an inferior product

if you're happy with that I just don't know what more I can say

But we are now, consistently, one of the top teams in the premier league. That's progress. I've been supporting Spurs since I was 8yrs old (1990) and can't remember a more successful period. Players would rather sign for us than Liverpool (Sigi) or Arsenal (Vertonghen). That's progress. We're on the brink of building a new stadium (I know you're sceptical of this). That's progress.

And now that it's achievable most Spurs fans would rather come 4th in the Premier League than have a big day out in Wembley whenever the year ends in one. That's progress.

I'll ignore your sarcisim and it's a little childish and uncalled for.

Having issues with the owners doesn't prevent me from enjoying the experience of supporting Spurs. Why should it ? If I didn't care about the club, I wouldn't have the opionions I do.

Ok but it was an honest question. You don't rate the team, you don't think it's improved in the last 10 years, you don't think it will improve in the next 10 years and you think the ticket prices are a disgrace.

I honestly don't see how you could enjoy following Spurs.

The fact that you post on here a lot would suggest that you do care, but it's 100% negative.

mickman wrote: »
    I must say that the days of selling our best players "by choice " are over. Modric wanted to go so thats different and even then we made him stay another year.

Dont think levy seeks to sell our best players anymore

the problem is that when we get someone in that becomes a top quality player (eg Berbatov, Modric, Carrick etc...) the bigger clubs come knocking because they know we will sell in the end.

And these top players want to go bacause they know that Spurs ambitions in the game are below their own, this is been proven time and time again. If Spurs could match the ambitions of our best players they would be less likely to want to go.

it's been 52 years since we won the league, we sell our best players and yet our ticket prices are the 3rd highest.

fans being exploited, paying top dollar for an inferior product

if you're happy with that I just don't know what more I can say

But everyone sells their best players, apart from maybe City, United and Chelsea.

Who else's product are we inferior to? Maybe Arsenal, although they have sold more of their best players than we have lately, and we have invested a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You have to remember Ronaldo did the same stunt as Modric, whinging till he got out, it's not exclusive to Spurs, happens Man Utd too.

• Advertisement

Ok but it was an honest question. You don't rate the team, you don't think it's improved in the last 10 years, you don't think it will improve in the next 10 years and you think the ticket prices are a disgrace.

I honestly don't see how you could enjoy following Spurs.

The fact that you post on here a lot would suggest that you do care, but it's 100% negative.

my negitivity is pretty much reserved for the owners,

the team (on paper) looks promising but we've started poorly (as expected when you do a lot of your dealings on 31 Aug;) )

I hope AVB gets enough time to re-mould the team into his way of playing but we know that Levy has an ichy trigger finger, when Levy fcuks up with a wrong appointment it's the manager that pays the price.

I did acknowledge that there has been some improvement in the past few seasons in terms of league position so I think you have picked me up wrong.

I genuinely can't see us making the leap from a Europa league club to a regular CL club under ENIC, we're just not set up the right way

Advertisement