Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Walking -

Options
  • 01-09-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

First time on this forum (I think).

I have a 10 month old puppy who's a cross between a collie and a Lewellen or English Setter (sorry about the spelling). He gets walked twice a day, both times covering about 1 -1.5 km. He's had this for the past 3 or 4 months.

I've been going for long (10 km ) walks in the afternoons and would like to take him, I reckon he'd be up to up, but I've heard somewhere that you shouldn't walk them too far.

Can anybody give me some guidence on the maximum distance I should be walking him ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Hi, spaniels and collies are very active breeds and require alot of exercise daily but due to your dog being young still, a straight 10km may be a bit too far yet, only for another few months.
    If you just do a few in the morning and a few in the evening, they'll be fine.
    When they get older 10km would be great anda little stroll up the road before bed.
    The main thing for the long walk is water. many people dont bring water for their dogs when walking them.
    It is possible for dogs to overheat and get sunstroke so rest for a few minutes and give them a sup when you think they need it.
    you can buy little walk packages which contain a backpack and a foldable bowl to por the water in.
    Enjoy!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He's a bit young alright, young dogs need time for their skeleton to develop and strenghtening. 10km is a fair distance, I think the distances your doing at the moment are more than enough for now. Wait until he's a year old and then gradually increase the distance through year 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Puppies need to be walked for a total of 5 minutes per month of age - so at 10 months, 50 minutes max of exercise per day - to prevent excess stress on growing joints and bones. 10km is probably too far for a 10 month old pup (even though he would probably go for that and longer if you left it up to him!). Jogging is generally out for pups too, so a brisk walk for 10km is well over 50 minutes per day.

Another brilliant way to tire him out would be to use mental training - teaching them tricks etc. for a little while (or a long while, depending on his attention span!) everyday, maybe a few times per day. This really tires them out and you get some training done in the mean time!

Advertisement