Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anone hear back about grants?

Options
  • 01-09-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Just curious to see if anone has heard back about their application for the higher education grant.
    I handed my application into Fingal early July and when I rang today was told at least another 8 weeks. It's my first time applying so I know it takes longer than if I was approved before but 4 months is a long old wait.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭BroFlo

I handed mine in to kildare co.co mid july and contated them yesterday. They said they hadnt even looked at it yet and it would prob be the end of september.
    I just wanna get organised at this stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just wondering, what exactly do you do if you have no news on the grant before starting?

I know some colleges say that you can bring a letter saying you are entitled to the grant, but if they are not even looking at them yet then obviously you will not be issued with a letter.

Personally I don't have enough savings to cover the fees, and have heard some horror stories of people who have looked to take out a loan to cover them. Will I just have to cope with restricted access to certain parts of college until the fees are paid and I am issued with a student card?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭BroFlo

I was worried about this also.

i called NUIG after i had been talking to the grant office. NUIG fees deadline is 31st of october and our student cards are issued the first day of college, so hopefully i will be sorted before 31st of october.

I think colleges are meant to be pretty understanding because so many people will be in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

The whole thing is just a bit foolish, the councils and whatnot know we need our fees for Sept but don't start to look at applications until mid Sept or so.
    It's not a matter of having no resources or anything, all they need to do is the exact same amount of work but just start earlier.
    As far as I'm aware if the grant isn't processed on time you pay the college and then the council pay they college as soon as its assessed and then the college will refund you, it's a mental system but IF they're paying me €1500 I won't moan too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sassypsych

I handed my application into North Tipp Council 7 weeks ago. At the beginning of last week I rang and was told it was being assessed that week and I would hear by the end of the week. So I rang them again today as I hadn't heard anything, and was told this time that they have had a high volume of applications come in and they cannot give me a date that I will hear!!

I explained that this is why I got my application in early so that it could be done before the rush after leaving results and she couldn't explain why it hadn't been done ages ago or why I was told I would know last week!!

It is so annoying, especially as I know of others who have had their decision in three weeks from country councils who would have just as many applications :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

sassypsych wrote: »
    I handed my application into North Tipp Council 7 weeks ago. At the beginning of last week I rang and was told it was being assessed that week and I would hear by the end of the week. So I rang them again today as I hadn't heard anything, and was told this time that they have had a high volume of applications come in and they cannot give me a date that I will hear!!

I explained that this is why I got my application in early so that it could be done before the rush after leaving results and she couldn't explain why it hadn't been done ages ago or why I was told I would know last week!!

It is so annoying, especially as I know of others who have had their decision in three weeks from country councils who would have just as many applications :mad:

I think it depends on the office. Some are more efficient than others. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just emailed Dublin City Council and they gave me the standard "it will be 12-14 weeks due to the backlog". But they said they have informed the colleges of this and if I emailed them my address and D.O.B they would provide me with a reference number, which I am guessing is to give the college on registration day?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭magicface1

Hi Guys,

Ok I have been accepted for the BTEA and have received the ref number for my higher education grand. So whats my next step turn up for the induction day. I obviously have to give the reference number to admissions is this on the day I receive my student card? Thanks for your help...

Advertisement