Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't I stop playing Mount and Blade?

Options
  • 01-09-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

It looks rubbish, the controls are poor and laggy and the collision detection very dodgy. And still, it's hooked me like no other game since Mass Effect 2. Not sure if I'd even be able to recommend it to someone else, but I still can't stop playing it. Got the follow-up Warband to get through too.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You can't stop playing it because it awesome. Definitely one of the best low-budget titles released in years, and it has some fantastic combat in it. Can be a bit buggy at times, but nothing beats a good cavalry charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It is a gem of a game. Rough round the edges but a real time sink. Warband improves it a fair bit. More quests, learn poems/sagas/songs to woo maidens, start your own kingdom, it's good stuff.

And well-supported by modders. I saw a Napoleonic war mod out there that was really quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yeah great little game if flawed. Have to say I'm more fond of the horseback fighting in 1, Warband has made it feel a bit more hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Been meaning to grab this, sadly I don't have access to a credit card :(

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

I had meant to make a "SALE! BUY THIS GAME!" thread for M&B Warband, but I lazed out at the last second. Absolutely fantastic game, very difficult to stop playing it at times (even though every now and again you'll start wondering if you're actually having fun or not).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Been playing this game on an off since version 0.102 or something years ago, an absolute gem of a game! Still very unpolished, but the combat is simply fantastic fun. And starting your own empire and taking over the kingdom has a lot of good things to be said about it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Almost bought this from Amazon once to make up the 25 quid free delivery order. Then I just thought to myself, it looks so shít il be sick of it inside 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Pyr0 wrote: »
    3V voucher, anywhere with a pink phone credit machine can print one off. (payzone or something like that)

Anyway, been playing this for at least five years. Great game, just wish they'd spend a bit more time on the rpg aspect of it. Multiplayer was the only real improvement between original and warbands and wasn't worth it imo.
    Much prefer the original lance combat as well. I've given up altogether in Warbands, just take a Sword of War or a nice long axe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Double Handed Scmitar ftw !

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

"The Prophesy of Pendor" is the a fatastic mod...i just wish they port it over to warband soon.. This mod makes it much better that the original game.

Warband is steam activated so just get it cheap from amazon and put in the serial code :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Pyr0 wrote: »

I saw Game in the Ilac Center in Dublin 1 have it. Think it was 25 euro.

And OP, the graphics can be improved greatly (at least IMO) with the nivdia control panel or the ATI CCC. Just have a decent graphic card and turn the settings up and smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I saw Game in the Ilac Center in Dublin 1 have it. Think it was 25 euro.

And OP, the graphics can be improved greatly (at least IMO) with the nivdia control panel or the ATI CCC. Just have a decent graphic card and turn the settings up and smile.

They're....functional imo, the world map is something from circa 2000? and the battle map not too far after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

They're....functional imo, the world map is something from circa 2000? and the battle map not too far after it.

The world map looks far better with the options turned up. In the nvidia/ATI thing.

I'm playing the Brytenwalda mod at the moment. Dark Ages Ireland and Britain ftw!

Anyway, as far as arguements go, the idea that older looking graphics ruin a game is ridiculous. So what if they look like something from the turn of the decade, plenty of games back then were played and enjoyed, no? The fact that some games today have better graphics doesn't detract from how good this game is.

Just started playing Brytenwalda myself, brilliant mod - difficult to start out with though, with the bloody scotis raiders raping everything that moves.

Good to get another convert to it! It's amazing what they've done with it, makes you wonder what a properly funded studio could do if they really really wanted to.

Yeah, just wish they'd fix the map orientation. Makes me dizzy looking at Ireland and Britain upside down.

Nevore wrote: »
    Good to get another convert to it! It's amazing what they've done with it, makes you wonder what a properly funded studio could do if they really really wanted to.

Yeah, just wish they'd fix the map orientation. Makes me dizzy looking at Ireland and Britain upside down.
    Just rotate it when you load the game :v

Actually, I'm being naughty, I've got a draft of the brytenwalda story here in spanish, I'm supposed to be helping translate it but I'm procrastinating :s

Kazuma wrote: »
    Just rotate it when you load the game :v

Actually, I'm being naughty, I've got a draft of the brytenwalda story here in spanish, I'm supposed to be helping translate it but I'm procrastinating :s
    Wow. I feel like an idiot now. Never freaking occured to me...

Fair play to you on the translation help!

No problem, I've found myself forgetting about the right click rotate thing if I start a new game after a long time (makes finding my bearings very aggravating)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Thanks for the post OP.
    I would have never considered this game with out it!

I found both the original and warband, at Sendit.com
    http://www.sendit.com/games/platforms/pc/mount-and-blade-warband-collectors-edition/10087516.html

Dont know if it works out cheaper from Amazon?

• Advertisement

I don't see any sign of that including the original game, Sgt Pepper, in fact Amazon are offering that edition with the original as a bundle so...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mount-Blade-Warband-PC-DVD/dp/B002RL9RKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284899463&sr=8-1

Don't know if sendit charges postage to Ireland but if it does, amazon might be cheaper since it's base rate is, 7.76 instead of 8.89

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mr. Speedy

Pugsley wrote: »
    Been playing this game on an off since version 0.102 or something years ago, an absolute gem of a game! Still very unpolished, but the combat is simply fantastic fun. And starting your own empire and taking over the kingdom has a lot of good things to be said about it too :)

XD how is it unpolished?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement