Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tights or Leg warmers?

• 01-09-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭

heading into 1st winter of cycling and was just wondering whats better and warmer. A pair of padded tights or a pair of leg warmers under summer shorts? Looking online a good pair of padded tights looks quite expensive.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If I'd known about leg warmers when I started, I wouldn't have bought so many tights. I'd wear them all winter. The advantage of tights is that they can be constructed warmer. I guess what you have to consider is how much you feel the cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

These Santini ones ain't too bad. I've a few pairs of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

The problem I find with the shorts/leg warmers combo in cold weather is that my hips get really cold. For cool weather, it works well.
    Padless tights over shorts is another option, but it can feel like you're wearing too much - with two sets of straps going over your shoulders.
    I have a good pair of fleece-backed padded Santini tights that are really comfortable and effective in cold weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

There is no easy answer, "both" is what I would say.

Autumn/early winter -> Knee warmers and overshoes.

Early/mid winter -> Leg warmers and overshoes.

Deep freezing cold "I can't feel anything in the saddle" winter -> Tights, and don't skimp, buy a well insulated pair with well cut panels. You may only use them a few times but they will be worth it. I wear ski socks as well, big fluffy ones.

Later winter/early spring -> Back to leg and knee warmers in anticipation of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

Does anyone know where you could get a (reasonably priced) pair of all-lycra bib tights, preferable with a chamois but not essential that they are. I bought a pair of Briko that were like this a few years ago, but I can't find anywhere now [and i've been searching on and off for the past few years] that sells an all-lycra bib tight? [note that they're lycra, not the roubaix fabric, and the compression lycra stuff from 2xu and skins is mental expensive]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

not sure what you mean by all lycra comment, and all lycra bib tight is another name for a long pair of shorts, there is no warmth so nullifying the point of buying bib tights in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

thanks for the answers. Think i,ll do the leg warmers for the mo and see how cold they are later in the winter rather then forking out now on bib tights. might invest in a winter jersey/jacket for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

me@ucd wrote: »
    not sure what you mean by all lycra comment, and all lycra bib tight is another name for a long pair of shorts, there is no warmth so nullifying the point of buying bib tights in the first place.

I use the lycra bib tights in spring/[irish] summer - all i need is a leg covering, not too much warmth [I have winter bib tights with the fleece fabric, and these work grand in winter]. I've lycra leg warmers but I find they're not great at staying up - sometimes doesn't grip too well around your thigh.

mc2000 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you could get a (reasonably priced) pair of all-lycra bib tights, preferable with a chamois but not essential that they are. I bought a pair of Briko that were like this a few years ago, but I can't find anywhere now [and i've been searching on and off for the past few years] that sells an all-lycra bib tight? [note that they're lycra, not the roubaix fabric, and the compression lycra stuff from 2xu and skins is mental expensive]

I have a pair from Nalini. No chamois in them, so I wear them over a pair of shorts.

I'll see if I can find them online. I got them years ago in Cyclelogical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

mc2000 wrote: »
    I use the lycra bib tights in spring/[irish] summer - all i need is a leg covering, not too much warmth [I have winter bib tights with the fleece fabric, and these work grand in winter]. I've lycra leg warmers but I find they're not great at staying up - sometimes doesn't grip too well around your thigh.

Maybe just get better leg warmers. My Assos ones don't stay up at all, my Castelli Thermoflex ones are perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

Its better to be too warm than too cold. id say keep an eye out on chain reaction for a cheap pair of leg warmers or lycra big tights for the not so cold days but fork out for a good pair of roubaix bib tights for the real winter. i got gios ones from bike24.com(think they only have xxl left) a couple of years ago and im still using them where as the cheap lycra bib tights i got from chain reaction last year are kinda fecked now. the gios ones have a zip up the front so they cover up as far as your diddies(man diddies) and keep ya nice n warm, and the zip allows you to go for a wee without too much effort.

I can't find the thing anywhere. Anyway, it's not very warm and looks cack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

When it's really cold, the shorts + leg warmers combination doesn't really work at all. Your upper thighs, hips, backside and old fella (if you're a bloke) will get very cold with just a thin layer of unlined lycra covering them. Fleece-lined bib tights with wind block panels on the front (esp knees and up) are the only way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

Or I suppose we could all just HTFU (strong language!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I got some Roubaix Tights, they are the job !

Advertisement