Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm with Eircom and Imagine who's at my door?

• 01-09-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

I have a 3meg line form eirom and get speeds of around 2mb generally.. I'l like a little more but it's only my home broadband and I need it for surfing and emails and some online gaming.. It works fine..

Now I have imagine rep calling in near Sallins in Co.Kildare where there is now Wimax available..

Faster speeds at reduced cost is the claim.

offer seems attractive but is it any good?

any help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Macspower wrote: »
    I have a 3meg line form eirom and get speeds of around 2mb generally.. I'l like a little more but it's only my home broadband and I need it for surfing and emails and some online gaming.. It works fine..

Now I have imagine rep calling in near Sallins in Co.Kildare where there is now Wimax available..

Faster speeds at reduced cost is the claim.

offer seems attractive but is it any good?

any help appreciated

The general concesus on the midband forum suggests avoid wimax like a bargepole,

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

first thing to ask the rep is, does anyone else have it in the area? Is it functioning as well as they claim. Ask about a trial rather than contract, you don't want to be stuck with something that's the same or worse than eircom. In general it's a decent product, but if you're down a hill or have a lot of buildings / structures in the way, it may be glitchy.

Be sure to ask can you cancel the contract if it doesn't work as expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Don't believe a word from a sales rep, for Pete's sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Shinyboots75

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    first thing to ask the rep is, does anyone else have it in the area? Is it functioning as well as they claim. Ask about a trial rather than contract, you don't want to be stuck with something that's the same or worse than eircom. In general it's a decent product, but if you're down a hill or have a lot of buildings / structures in the way, it may be glitchy.

Be sure to ask can you cancel the contract if it doesn't work as expected.

Im in churchtown in Dublin...said it's fine for your area....connected it up and no bloody coverage....back in the box.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

I should also mention that we have little/no choice of providers here.. I had to wait for years for eircom to roll it out as I'm in a country area even though I'm 5 miles from naas.

O2 has no coverage here at all and vodafone has only 1 bar on it's 3g gongle if that makes any difference..

the rep is calling back in the next few days and I'll see what eh has to say for himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I had wi max for a while, it was dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's "up to" 7Mbps. It can easily be 1Mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

yoyo wrote: »
    The general concesus on the midband forum suggests avoid this Imagine wimax like a bargepole,

Nick

FYP,
    Wimax is fine, other providers have been using Fixed Wimax that works years before Imagine came along with their mobile self install dongle stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

well, what you said is true, don't trust a rep. Because they're not ACTUAL reps, they're commission based sales people. Commission only, no base rate (was offered it here in Athlone).

The connection is great here, almost full 7mb and about 1km from the mast, but there's one part of the town which is in a dip, despite being near a mast, and had awful problems. Of course that was a heavily populated area and had been hit by about 5 different "reps". :P
    Suppose it's Imagine's own downfall, using the cheap option to sell, instead of training staff and researching areas properly.

Advertisement