Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda vetting tenants

Options
  • 01-09-2010 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Afternoon all,
    Just wondering if anyone could advise me how I go about "garda vetting" prospective tenants. When letting agencies say they garda-vet tenants, what exactly do they do?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

they tell you a load of codswallop. Nobody garda vets tennants.

its a crock if Ive ever heard of one

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Definately a crock as D3PO so eloquently put it. I applied for garda vetting back in January, it came through last Friday!! (and no, I have no skeletons in my closet - that's just how long it takes)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

When you say Garda vetting, is this through official channels?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

The last time I did it, my company was doing some work for Dept. of Taoiseach and each of us had to be vetted before we could visit their offices. We had to provide our name, DOB, all our previous addresses, etc to DoT so the Gardai could check if we had a criminal record. I don't think it's something that normal people can do/request but I could be wrong.

And like RIRI said, it took a *long* time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

AFAIK most letting agencies say they vet their tenants not Garda vet. This just involves checking with their bank, getting references etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Garda Vetting is a process to protect children and vulnerable adults. It isn't set up for private individuals to protect property. The Garda Central Vetting Unit is completely swamped with vetting applications so even if you COULD access it it would take about 14 weeks to process.

Checking references and interviews are your only way of vetting tenants - unless you happen to know a local garda who can give you an informal piece of info on someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

mmcn90 wrote: »
    AFAIK most letting agencies say they vet their tenants not Garda vet. This just involves checking with their bank, getting references etc.

I'm pretty certain letting agents don't check with prospective tenants' banks. Nor would they have any right to access information anyway.

In fact, in my experience, letting agents often don't check any references at all! I know this from speaking with past landlords after getting references from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

30kmph wrote: »
    Afternoon all,
    Just wondering if anyone could advise me how I go about "garda vetting" prospective tenants. When letting agencies say they garda-vet tenants, what exactly do they do?
    Thanks
    Who offers such a service?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Garda vetting is when a Garda is the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Garda vetting is when a Garda is the landlord.

no, no that's Garda Letting
    :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Victor wrote: »
    Who offers such a service?

Nobody does.
    Garda Vetting is not set up for such a capacity. Garda Vetting is only established for the vetting of employees, not individuals such as tenants etc...

Organisations must register with the Garda Vetting Unit providing details of their business etc... It's mostly hospitals/care facilities, education facilities, social access facilities, security related organisations and any profit/non-profit organisations that interact with children or vulnerable adults.

http://www.garda.ie/FAQ/Default.aspx?FAQCategory=36#FAQ2724

Advertisement