Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to get into cycling

• 01-09-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭

I'm looking to get into cycling, maybe take part in a few small events in the future?! I currently only cycle to work and back and thats about a 5km journey.

I have an MTB quite similar to this one on eurocycles for reference:
    http://www.eurocycles.ie/Raleigh_AT10/647_p.aspx#

Basically I'm looking for advice and guidance, do i need to get a road bike? What kind of distances do i need to get used to cycling on a regular basis? etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Road bike, not necessarily, a hybrid will do, but if you get to the stage where you will be doing sportives or organised rides, then you will need a road bike and a conversion to drop bars is expensive.

So the general advice is that if you're looking to build up to riding in road events, buy a road bike from the start.

Orwell wheelers in Dublin do beginner's spins starting in late Autumn, which I intend to get into. They require that everyone getting into beginner's spins is capable of riding at least 50km. That's not non-stop. That's in a single day. It sounds like a lot, but it's actually not. If you take yourself out on your MTB this evening and go at a reasonably good pace (not killing yourself, but not just cruising either), you'll find that you cover 20km in about an hour or maybe a little more, and you won't be dead afterwards.

That's about all you need to know to start really. Get yourself a road bike (you'll need to spend at least €500) and get out and ride.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Does your employer participate in the Bike to Work Scheme? It would be ideal for someone like you who commutes already as it gets you a significant discount on a new bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Thanks for all the info!

I doubt it, im only an Xtravision part timer to get me through college!
    Maybe i'll look on some used bike sites? oh and would i get anything for a used MTB these days or am i better off holding on to it?

Advertisement