Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want to convert 100's of old photos to digital

• 01-09-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭

I have a flatbed HP Scanjet 2400 but this won't really give me the high quality. In the pharmacy today they were using a little miniature scanner with an SD slot in the back.You feed the photo through and the image is transferred to the card which they then transferred to the Kodak machine. Does anyone know where I might get one of these little scan machines - posibly USA ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

denmar wrote: »
    I have a flatbed HP Scanjet 2400 but this won't really give me the high quality. In the pharmacy today they were using a little miniature scanner with an SD slot in the back.You feed the photo through and the image is transferred to the card which they then transferred to the Kodak machine. Does anyone know where I might get one of these little scan machines - posibly USA ?

They are freely available, loads of companies make them such as Veho, Pandigital etc. They are called negative and slide scanners- I presume they are like the item in the link below? If that's the case they are pretty awful and you really would be better off scanning the photos properly.

http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop.aspx?category=slidescan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

But what is the best piece of equipment to buy to scan them properly ? I would really appreciate any suggestions on this. I don't think the flat bed I have is very good atall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You can get scanners that will take negatives and slides. Canon used to do the Canoscan 8400F, they also do the 8800F and I'm sure there are plenty others. I'm afraid I'm not terribly knowledgeable when it comes to scanning and if you're patient I'm sure some of the regulars around here will give you great advice shortly.

Just be aware though that those scanners such as you saw in the pharmacy while handy are pretty terrible.

Thanks Kintarō Hattori. I take your point on the quality of the "pharmacy style scanner". Unfortunately I am not knowledgeable in this area either. I don't have negatives or slides - only photographs to scan from. I have seen alot of recommendations on the canoscan 8800F.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

looking for the same sort of thing myself.. has to be something there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah - if you just have prints, there's loads on the market which will do you. what is your intended output from your scans? screen, or more prints?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

looking to do both mostly for extra prints..

sorry denmar for jumping your thread

magicbastarder, mostly screen but a few very special ones there that need to go to print. Any suggestions ?

Advertisement