Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ques. for Animals & Pet Issues mods.

Options
  • 01-09-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post but anyhoo, just wondering if some of the posts here should be on here as they are questions about animals that may be ill.

So being on a premoderated board (and understandably mods can only do so much at a time) the OPs might not get an answer soon enough esp. when it comes to small animals that can go downhill very quickly.

Obviously if an animal is ill the first port of call is a vet but many people don't they ask on a board first and they might have to wait a while for an answer on a premoderated board so would it make more sense for people to post health questions on the regular board or perhaps have a seperate health section.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've moved your thread to feedback.

I agree about the delay in approval, but there's little we can do about that. Ideally people wouldn't ask health questions at all, and I'll review the charters on both forums to point this out to people. Ultimately though, people will still post the question. It happens on other forums too - someone would rather post on PI about a pain in their chest and wait all day for an answer instead of ringing a doctor.

We can't have an animal health forum for the same reason that we can't have a medical health forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Personally I understand people checking on the internet to see if anyone else has had the same issue as they are experiencing.

I understand someone concerned that their puppy was limping and it turned out to be something serious and wanting to give others a heads up.

What I cant understand is someone not taking action until their peers advise them to do so.

what did these people do before the days of online forums? Just leave the animal/family member there to see if they get better by themselves?

IMHO: the issue isnt with the delay in approving a premoderated post, its with urgent enquiries being posted in the first place. If a person thinks it serious enough to require urgent advise, go talk to an actual professional. Do a quick search first if you feel you have time to see if anyone else has had the same issue (I found a few posts on boards very helpful in easing my dog's last days when she was suffering from a kidney infection but always followed boards advice in conjuntion with that of our local vet and usually after a phonecall to check his opinion. The dog had to be put down in the end as renal failure started and contrary to information online - not on boards - my vet advised that herbal therapy was not a valid solution in this instance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

LoLth wrote: »
    What I cant understand is someone not taking action until their peers advise them to do so.

what did these people do before the days of online forums? Just leave the animal/family member there to see if they get better by themselves?
    That's a bit harsh. Some people are not as switched on as you are and seek advice form their peers on all types of matters. Yes, of course the correct move is to take the animal to a Vet but you know what? Some people are miles from a Vet. And some people can't afford a Vet these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

That's a bit harsh. Some people are not as switched on as you are and seek advice form their peers on all types of matters. Yes, of course the correct move is to take the animal to a Vet but you know what? Some people are miles from a Vet. And some people can't afford a Vet these days.

Sorry, but if you cant afford a vet then you shouldnt have a pet in the first place. It doesnt matter if you are miles from a vet, if an animal needs medical attention its your duty as a pet owner to ensure the animal is treated and the pain is eased etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

andreac wrote: »
    It doesnt matter if you are miles from a vet, if an animal needs medical attention its your duty as a pet owner to ensure the animal is treated and the pain is eased etc.

My dog is after dying tonight and there was no hope in hell of getting a vet out to me at 2am! I'm also miles upon miles away from the nearest one. So does that mean I've failed in my duty as being a pet owner?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

seamus wrote: »
    I agree about the delay in approval, but there's little we can do about that. Ideally people wouldn't ask health questions at all, and I'll review the charters on both forums to point this out to people.
    IIRC it is in the charter about seeking medical advice because as you said animal health questions pose the same risk as human ones for bad advice etc:
    If you are posting about an injured/sick animal or pet do not assume any advice or links to "possible causes" given on this forum are the answer to your problem.
    Any injured or sick animal should be taken to a vet asap, neither Boards.ie or any of its members can be held responsible for any advice given on this forum causing harm to any person or animal.
    LoLth wrote: »
    Personally I understand people checking on the internet to see if anyone else has had the same issue as they are experiencing.

I understand someone concerned that their puppy was limping and it turned out to be something serious and wanting to give others a heads up.
    This is true, to see if it's a common problem or whatever and some people will want to just check before going to the vet. But I do agree that first port of call should be your vet, ring and ask your question if you can't get there right away. I would have no problems ringing our clinic & asking a question, they're either able to tell you there or tell you to come down to them.
    ToniTuddle wrote: »
    My dog is after dying tonight and there was no hope in hell of getting a vet out to me at 2am! I'm also miles upon miles away from the nearest one. So does that mean I've failed in my duty as being a pet owner?!?
    Of course you haven't, and I'm very sorry to hear about your dog passing away. Some of us don't have as well facilitated areas as others, I'm lucky my vet is 5mins drive down the road, others are not.
    I think what andreac meant (she can correct me if wrong), is that when you take on the responsibility of a dog/pet, you take on responsibility of their wellbeing etc - and that if needed you should bring them to the vet if it's available to you because they can't look after themselves in that regard. As in some people will say 'oh can't afford the vet' & the dog will suffer. (not referring to your case) I'm sure if you could have gotten a vet at 2am you would have, that's the difference, others might not. Again, very sad to lose a pet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

star-pants wrote: »

Of course you haven't, and I'm very sorry to hear about your dog passing away. Some of us don't have as well facilitated areas as others, I'm lucky my vet is 5mins drive down the road, others are not.
    I think what andreac meant (she can correct me if wrong), is that when you take on the responsibility of a dog/pet, you take on responsibility of their wellbeing etc - and that if needed you should bring them to the vet if it's available to you because they can't look after themselves in that regard. As in some people will say 'oh can't afford the vet' & the dog will suffer. (not referring to your case) I'm sure if you could have gotten a vet at 2am you would have, that's the difference, others might not. Again, very sad to lose a pet :(

Thanks we are just after burying him now my brother arrived back at the house
    Yeah I'm sure that was what was meant but the way it was worded just hit a nerve. Some people....hell... alot of people who live in country areas are miles away from the nearest vet. Even if they were near them the vets are not on call 24/7. But I understand what you mean about some people.

Advertisement