Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pal vs Nstc Dvds

Options
  • 01-09-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, Im considering getting the dvds of code geass and death note and Im wondering which are the best versions to get pal/ntsc , do either of the dvd formats allow 24 frame support for anime like blurays do + which gives the best picture quality, ie resolution encoding etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Generally NTSC is better, and since it's the native format in Japan it'll be better. NTSC should be ~30fps and PAL ~25fps, so PAL may be closer to the 24fps you're looking for but if it wasn't originally made like that I don't see the point in it myself.
    Also it varies from DVD to DVD but if a PAL version is 480i the NTSC would be 480p while if the PAL is 480p the NTSC could be 576i or 576p. Also PAL is meant to be slightly wider than NTSC, so pixels or lines may be lost there, or stretched on a widescreen telly.

Long story short, NTSC > PAL most of the time, even more when something was made for NTSC. Just make sure whatever you're planning to play it on can play NTSC and whichever region region the DVD is from.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

amacachi wrote: »
    Generally NTSC is better, and since it's the native format in Japan it'll be better. NTSC should be ~30fps and PAL ~25fps, so PAL may be closer to the 24fps you're looking for but if it wasn't originally made like that I don't see the point in it myself.
    Also it varies from DVD to DVD but if a PAL version is 480i the NTSC would be 480p while if the PAL is 480p the NTSC could be 576i or 576p. Also PAL is meant to be slightly wider than NTSC, so pixels or lines may be lost there, or stretched on a widescreen telly.
    Long story short, NTSC > PAL most of the time, even more when something was made for NTSC. Just make sure whatever you're planning to play it on can play NTSC and whichever region region the DVD is from.

PAL is 720x576, NTSC is 720x480.

PAL has more vertical resolution it isn't 'wider'.

NTSC is not better than PAL most of the time. You are better off with an NTSC version of NTSC source material though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

copacetic wrote: »
    PAL is 720x576, NTSC is 720x480.

PAL has more vertical resolution it isn't 'wider'.

NTSC is not better than PAL most of the time. You are better off with an NTSC version of NTSC source material though.

Odd on old video games then that PAL requires borders on top and bottom but NTSC doesn't.

Still, NTSC on Anime! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

what's the best site to import nstc dvds from? does amazon.com ship to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

you can get Region 1 /NTSC dvds from play.com for anime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

Hamon wrote: »
    Buddy can u tell me any online site?

you can get US/Region 1 dvds from the aforementioned www.play.com
    or you can try United Publications

http://www.up1.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Long story short, NTSC > PAL most of the time

Not really, in general PAL > NTSC
    http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/articles/palvsntsc/palvsntsc.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭megaten

Odd on old video games then that PAL requires borders on top and bottom but NTSC doesn't.

Still, NTSC on Anime! :pac:

That's because of poor porting by just slowing down the game instead of properly optimizing for pal

Advertisement