Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed re temp work

Options
  • 01-09-2010 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I'm with an agency and over the past two weeks have worked in three different places; this is great (it's care work type stuff) and the agency have been good getting me interviews for long term work.

I started a temp job yday as an advocate worker, three days a week, seven hours a day. it was like walking into a bombsite; filing had never been done; I think the guy before me just didn't know how and he couldn't use a computer. He 'trained' me in, handing over files etc, which was a two foot high pile of paper but then found other files/cases in a drawer so my head is in a mess. I thought today I'll pull it together as I work on my own away in an office independently but no.

I've made contact with most of the clients and I really honest to god am struggling to even grasp with their cases; it's very legalistic and based on a system I am not familiar with. I'm bigging up the 'temp' title when I talk with them, explaining that I'm not sure how long i will be here but I'll help them as much as I can. But I really haven't much of clue

I also know it's only been two days but trust me it's long enough, and by tomorrow i will have done a home visit and received a new client who I don't even know is appropriate for the service (there is also no one to ask as it's an 'independent' role and my predecessor is away on hols.

Will the agency blacklist me if I leave? I'll be leaving anyway if i found a full time job i wanted, that may be in a a weeks time or ten, I don't know. Is it bad to leave stuff like this especially when it's dealing with a sensitive client group etc

I'm all frazzled :(

Advertisement