Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Hotel Problem

Options
  • 01-09-2010 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have not had need to post in here before but encountered something that is bugging me this morning.
    I went online last night to book a hotel in Paris at end of this month.
    Normally, a 3 Star in the middle of Paris is about €150 - €200 but I found a promotion on a third party website (One of the biggest ones, they're Italian) last night where I could get this lovely hotel for €19 a night.
    I decided, Lovely!!! I booked 4 rooms for familt and friends travelling to a wedding over there.
    Paid the €76 and felt really lucky to find such a bargain. Got my confirmation and reservation details in an email and showed friends, the usual, happy story.
    This morning, got an email from the third party that the hotel in question said the credit card details were incorrect and because of this the reservation was cancelled. Please book again.
    I went to book again and the rooms are now €160 per night.
    The thing is, the details are not incorrect because they were authorised on my card last night and I have the order confirmation they sent me.

Is there anything I can do? Or is it a case of just write it off that it was too good to be true? Gutted now

Thanks
    Irish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If they accepted the payment, then the deal is done. They cannot go back on that. However, businesses have done this many times, and there's very little you can do about it.

It would seem likely that this was a mistaken price, but they've decided to lie about the reasons. You'll need to wait a couple of days to see if the charge has actually gone to your card, or whether the charge you see is pending. If it was pending, then they can back down without ever charging you. If it is actually there though (as pending) then that would prove the details were correct.

If you ring your card issuer's customer service then you'll be able to find out if the charge was requested properly, with all details correct.

Even with all this, you're going to have an incredibly tough time getting your booking confirmed. The European Consumer Centre can help with consumer issues in other EU countries, but they have no power at all, and can only offer advice to you. They cannot intervene or force the issue at all.

Advertisement