Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby swimming 5 months old

• 01-09-2010 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am starting swimming lessons with my little man on Friday. He is 5 months old now...
    Anyone knows what I need for those lessons? I guess the Little swimmers nappies definately but is there any tiny swimming trunks to go over it or is that it?
    Thanks a mill...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I'm sure just the swimming nappy will be fine, the 'Little Swimmers' that we use have pictures on Nemo on and are quite cute!

Not sure what else you might need. Maybe ring the pool and ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Maybe ring the pool and ask?[/QUOTE]

Well I have done that but the girls in reception did not really know...typical!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You will need:

Change bag (nappies, bags, wipes, vaseline etc)
    Swim Nappy (in the smallest size that will fit)
    Baby Towel

Your own swimming gear (don't forget the hat!)

You can get little trunks to go over the nappy if you like but they're not necessary. I would recommend getting a little UV suit or a wetsuit/bodywarmer as wet babies are slippery.

Bring the carseat into the changing rooms with you to have somewhere to place the baby when you're getting changed yourself.

Also bring a bottle / snack as it makes them ravenous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Out of curiousity why would you want to teach a 5 month old how to swim ?

the_monkey wrote: »

It's not really swimming, it's getting them used to water. It's good fun and a nice way to bond with your baby. For me it's a way of passing on my love of the water to my son.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It's not really swimming, it's getting them used to water. It's good fun and a nice way to bond with your baby. For me it's a way of passing on my love of the water to my son.

ah yes , nice idea,

I just realise there my question may have sounded interfering, I should
    have phrased it better .

the_monkey wrote: »

Well.. just so he is not afraid of water plus its something to do and I thought it would be nice for my little man to meet another babies of his own age thats all.. ;)

Das Kitty wrote: »
    You will need:

Change bag (nappies, bags, wipes, vaseline etc)
    Swim Nappy (in the smallest size that will fit)
    Baby Towel

Your own swimming gear (don't forget the hat!)

You can get little trunks to go over the nappy if you like but they're not necessary. I would recommend getting a little UV suit or a wetsuit/bodywarmer as wet babies are slippery.

Bring the carseat into the changing rooms with you to have somewhere to place the baby when you're getting changed yourself.

Also bring a bottle / snack as it makes them ravenous.

Thanks a mill for that.. good idea about the little suit.. totaly forgot how awkward it could be manage slippery baby in the pool and around :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

We brought our little one to the pool when she was about 7 or 8 months and she loved to pool, but went bezerk in the changing room afterwards. She hates being taken out of the bath, getting cold, and it was way worse at the pool, she screamed the place down, especially when I was trying to give the two of us a quick shower after!! Haven't gone back since but that's more got to do with my wife not wanting people to see her new growing bump before she was ready to tell everyone the good news. :D

However, if I was going again, I'd definitely bring a bottle into changing room to try and appease her while she was getting dressed. Bring two towels instead of one because everything tends to get a bit messy in the cubicle. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

We brought Ben a few weeks ago he was just 7 months and he loved it.. he's a real water baby :) i brought his towel and the buggy to the pool and parked it out of the way so as soon as we got out i could wrap him up,
    It was the first time he had a shower too and i think he enjoyed it more :D
    Don't forget to wash baby after with something like the silicocks base cos the chlorine is incredibly drying on baby skin,
    we used the swim nappy on it's own cos once you have a full swimsuit on they tend not to slip too much, they're only really slippy skin to skin..
    have fun ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 houseman

Any idea where to buy those bwby jackets for 4 month old? I've looked literally everywhere but can only find them for much older babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I brought Blossom to pool after about six weeks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Elle13 wrote: »
    Maybe ring the pool and ask?

Well I have done that but the girls in reception did not really know...typical!:rolleyes:

In fairness, if she doens't have a child, how on earth would you expect her to know what your child should wear swimming!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Glowing wrote: »
    In fairness, if she doens't have a child, how on earth would you expect her to know what your child should wear swimming!!!!! :rolleyes:

She works in a swimming pool, surely she'd see children swimming:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭centre half

What age is 'old enough' to bring baby swimming?

What age is 'old enough' to bring baby swimming?

It depends on how comfortable you are with it. I brought my guy at 10 weeks.

Its recommended not to bring them until after they've had they're first set of injections.. that's at 2 months..;)

houseman wrote: »
    Any idea where to buy those bwby jackets for 4 month old? I've looked literally everywhere but can only find them for much older babies.

If you check out this website they have the little swim suits with the floats in them.. i think you can buy them through amazon..

http://www.babyswimmingfloat.com/

Advertisement