Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CBT From December This year

• 01-09-2010 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭

See Attachment for full details on RSA new road safety measures

Roadskill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

i had to do lessons recently on a hired bike which worked out at 70 an hour. 16 hours of that = €1120 :eek:. give it a few years and bike shops will slowly start disappearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

i had to do lessons recently on a hired bike which worked out at 70 an hour. 16 hours of that = €1120 :eek:. give it a few years and bike shops will slowly start disappearing.

Thats a rip off. We will be charging €495.00 per person for cbt if 2 people do it together. That will include the full 16 hours, bike hire, all the gear and an insurance assessment. This has been advertised as such on my our site for the last 6 months and believe it or not a good few people have already done the complete syllabus even though it isnt complulsory yet. Yes 16 hours is a lot but dont forget that in some countries 30-40 hours is the minimum and if you fail the test you have to do the whole lot again. There are threads on this already and the same comments are being made again. The fact remains that we have all known about this for 2 or 3 years but thought it would never happen.

Roadskill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Roadskill wrote: »
    Thats a rip off. We will be charging €495.00 per person for cbt if 2 people do it together. That will include the full 16 hours, bike hire, all the gear and an insurance assessment. This has been advertised as such on my our site for the last 6 months and believe it or not a good few people have already done the complete syllabus even though it isnt complulsory yet. Yes 16 hours is a lot but dont forget that in some countries 30-40 hours is the minimum and if you fail the test you have to do the whole lot again. There are threads on this already and the same comments are being made again. The fact remains that we have all known about this for 2 or 3 years but thought it would never happen.

Roadskill

i just seen that on biker.ie and if thats all it costs then it a good idea in fairness. it was just normal lessons i did before the test so that why it was so expensive (40/hr lesson, 30/hr for the bike). are you the garda bike safe people in waterford?

i just seen that on biker.ie and if thats all it costs then it a good idea in fairness. it was just normal lessons i did before the test so that why it was so expensive (40/hr lesson, 30/hr for the bike). are you the garda bike safe people in waterford?

Yes thats us. We donate our facilities for free so the gardai can operate properly from Waterford.

Roadskill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Will the R plate rule apply to bikes?

• Advertisement

weeder wrote: »
    Will the R plate rule apply to bikes?

I don't think so because there is no law yet to wear a hiviz once you pass the test.

Roadskill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

So according to that link
    "All new first time learner permit holders with effect from 6th December 2010 for motorcycles and 4th April 2011 for cars will be required to undertake mandatory initial basic training (IBT) with an approved driving instructor (ADI). The course will be 16 hours for motorcycle and 12 hours for car licences."

So this only applies to first time permiit holders, or am i reading that wrong?

chasm wrote: »
    So this only applies to first time permiit holders, or am i reading that wrong?

You are correct. anyone who already owns a learner permit before the date is OK

Roadskill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

does the training not have to be 1:1 ?

Wossack wrote: »
    does the training not have to be 1:1 ?

No.

The training is broken down into 4 modules. some classroom and some on road and in a compound. The classroom modules can have up to 12 people but the practical can only be 2:1 or 1:1 if the compound is only small.
    There is a lot of paperwork and regulations for us to comply with to be approved for cbt so I won,t bore you with the rest :)

Roadskill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

if we are advertising now I sell discounted floors accross ireland and it won't kill biking in ireland

on topic tho we used to go up north to do the test cos you could get a direct lisence so i reckon people will do that
    it a lot cheaper and you get direct access

Provisional licence 50.00
    CBT 100.00 approx - this should include bike hire
    Theory test 31.00
    Practical test - Module 1 15.50 15.50 on saturdays and weekday evenings
    Practical test - Module 2 75.00 88.50 on saturdays and weekday evenings
    Provisional to full licence FREE

total 200

http://www.begin-motorcycling.co.uk/costs.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's no direct access up North. You need to take the boat for direct access.

how come?

there used to be

never mind

http://www.dvtani.gov.uk/practicaldrivingtest/bikefaqs.asp

seems like you can get a lisence up north with no cbt or across the water you can go direct with cbt

You cannot use an Irish learner permit in the UK so to get the licence you must have a valid UK address. Direct Access is up to €500 as it consists of a number of training days to be taken with bike hire. i should know I used to teach it. The new test in the UK is twice as difficult as Ireland so make sure you get all the facts before trying to do it.

Roadskill

You can get a northern lisence and do the test up north for next to nothing and many people will be able to work round the address thing

Testing is a different matter the test should be much harder and bikers should be tested by bikers on bikes not by cars

Nobody drives on test like they will after and the test tests no real situations

I have a real issue with cbt at an arbitrary level and by independent companies if the test took two days went over advanced control reaction and perception/observation it'd be much better. Govt run andsubsidused of course not this sham of 16 hours which will be too much for some and not enough for others

Tigger wrote: »
    You can get a northern lisence and do the test up north for next to nothing and many people will be able to work round the address thing

Testing is a different matter the test should be much harder and bikers should be tested by bikers on bikes not by cars

Nobody drives on test like they will after and the test tests no real situations

I have a real issue with cbt at an arbitrary level and by independent companies if the test took two days went over advanced control reaction and perception/observation it'd be much better. Govt run andsubsidused of course not this sham of 16 hours which will be too much for some and not enough for others

I agree with you 100% on the hilighted quote above. The problem is that no government will subsidise anything that is to be earnt and remember a licence is not a right to have and not essential. Even in the UK private companies run CBT. The difference being they can take several people at once on the road so at £100 each is a nice wage don't you think. Have you seen the syllabus?. Do you know what it involves?. 16 hours BTW is a minimum and it is split into 4 modules, each one must be passed or repeated. A lot of people seem to have this perception that instructors are to blame for cbt, this is just not true and really annoys me when I hear it. We all had input YES! but we were ignored on our reccommendations to reduce the hours or do it on a competency level. I have been training riders for over 15 years and most have done the training off thier own backs spending more that CBT may cost. Now it's compulsory from December everyone complains.:confused:
    On another note I would rather not have cbt as it's major hassle and investment for me but if I don't do it then I could be left behind and lose my business.

Roadskill

Advertisement