Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playroom ideas

Options
  • 01-09-2010 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi Im hoping some of you here could help me out with some ideas for the little ones playroom.

Right now its basically a room with her toys in it and where the laundry tends to go (have since bought some drawers so this will no longer be the case!) but since finishing college ive time to put some effort into making it a nice play area for her so im looking for some preferably cheap ideas. the house is rented so non permanent ideas too!

im hoping to put some of those foam jigsaw floor things (im hoping you know the ones! :)) down to brighten it up. and she has already helped me- well watched me- make those window art things so they'll be going up on the window and im looking into some cheap bright storage units similar to the ones in lidl this week, but is there anything else, apart from pictures on the wall??

any advice would be appreciated, shes three by the way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A bean bag and a bookshelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

ooh good thinking on the beanbag, i always wanted one myself!
    thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

If you want in bright and colourfull you have to go to ikea, so many options. I have a child photo studio and got things in there to brighten the place up, and they were quite cheap, they have brightly coloured lamps, I have one of those door curtains, you know that you hang over the door frame that you can walk through, multi coloured, it only cost €8 and all the kids love it, toy nets to hang from the ceiling for the teddies were only €3. Seriously cheap stuff to brighten the place up, I'd say if you brought €40 youd have it bright and beautiful easily. Oh also small table for 7 and chairs for around 10, choice of colours.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20100902.p.Kids_Storage_Unit
    is nice,handy and cheap:)

My 19 month old loves hear bean bag.

Moonbeam wrote: »

im actually going to try get it tomorrow! :D thanks everyone!
    will try to get to ikea again, the OH hates browsing but i only go with him cause i cant drive and cant buy much without a car either! will try persuade him!
    thanks again! keep me posted if you think of anything else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Great thread... I'm currently doing up my daughters room as well (4yrs). One idea I have is to paint a blackboard on to the wall, put a shelf underneath it (to catch dust and store chalks etc).

Then to finish it off I'm putting cheap beading around it to give it a finished look. Plus some bright sticky letters and pics.

To do this you will need: Matt Black paint (Gloss won't work) a 500ml tin will cover an area the size of a door and a half and will prob cost about 7euro or so.

Great thread... I'm currently doing up my daughters room as well (4yrs). One idea I have is to paint a blackboard on to the wall, put a shelf underneath it (to catch dust and store chalks etc).

Then to finish it off I'm putting cheap beading around it to give it a finished look. Plus some bright sticky letters and pics.

To do this you will need: Matt Black paint (Gloss won't work) a 500ml tin will cover an area the size of a door and a half and will prob cost about 7euro or so.

would if i could,its a rented place!
    you can buy a small tin of actual chalkboard paint cheap enough in atlantic though- we were gonna do it and just paint over before we leave but we werent sure if it'd cover easy so decided not to.
    but its a good idea! greatminds and all that! :)
    have fun doing the room though, its a fun project and worth the effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

CK2010 wrote: »
    would if i could,its a rented place!
    you can buy a small tin of actual chalkboard paint cheap enough in atlantic though- we were gonna do it and just paint over before we leave but we werent sure if it'd cover easy so decided not to.
    but its a good idea! greatminds and all that! :)
    have fun doing the room though, its a fun project and worth the effort!

we did this but bought a length of cheap wood and painted it with blackboard paint - threw it away when the kids outgrew it. twas brilliant if you don't mind bits of chalk getting everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dimple_smile

Ikea do lovely kids room stuff and it's not too pricey. I got a nice flower wall lapm http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/40097948 for my niece a while ago. They do nice fabric hanging shelves for kids toys as well http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/70115578 they come in a few bright colours to liven up the room. :)

Moonbeam wrote: »

tried to get this today in both the blakestown lidl and the one in tyrrelstown and no luck! if anyone sees them in a lidl near either of these stores could you let me know? thanks! or of one in a similar price range somewhere else??

we did get those foam floor things today and some arts and crafts stuff so slowly but surely getting there!

saw a really long pink tedddy snake in smyths for twenty euro but we thought she might be a bit scared of it so didnt wanna chance it! but it was cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭goosie2005

HI,
    Would recommend ikea too. Little ones love looking at themselves in the mirror, i got this kid one (link below) and put it low on the wall. It's great.
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20079403

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

CK2010 wrote: »
    tried to get this today in both the blakestown lidl and the one in tyrrelstown and no luck! if anyone sees them in a lidl near either of these stores could you let me know? thanks! or of one in a similar price range somewhere else??

we did get those foam floor things today and some arts and crafts stuff so slowly but surely getting there!

saw a really long pink tedddy snake in smyths for twenty euro but we thought she might be a bit scared of it so didnt wanna chance it! but it was cool!
    My mother went to try and get it for me too,no luck.
    It was a good offer so sold out immediately.
    The current similar one that we have is from Argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I saw something like the lidl one in Woodies yesterday.

I got one in local Arro some time ago but it was about 10E more expensive. Also I should have seen it coming tbh. My little one likes to dismantle it so it doesnt keep things as tidy as I had imagined.

My next step is undismantable storage cubes that I can glue to the wall and that cant be transformed into a step ladder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

I would recommend wall stickers- you can get really cute ones for children. Best of all is that they are easily removeable and don't damage paintwork.

Also check out sites like jumbletown where people give away unwanted toys and furniture for free. Old fashioned sideboards can look great when painted in bright pastel or primary colours for childrens toy storage. Have a look at their before and after section for ideas. Below is a link to one before and after project:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=25509

• Registered Users Posts: 46 08mor

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know where i would get winnie the pooh or hello kitty wall stickers? niece is mad looking for them. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

A desk for arts and crafts and colouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

eBay have loads of wall stickers & they deliver to Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

sweetdreamsireland does amazing childrens wallpaper. 50 quid for full wall. and it really is gorgeous and easy enough to put up if you have 2 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

08mor wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know where i would get winnie the pooh or hello kitty wall stickers? niece is mad looking for them. thanks.
    B&Q have them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

what about a small paddling pool, they're only about 6 euro and fill it with plastic balls for another 10 euro. Smyths and argos are about the same price and she'll have great fun.

Ikea toy nets are great and smyths have a cheap blackboard you can hang on the wall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement