Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quad bikes driving behind church

Options
  • 01-09-2010 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a regular quad biker to the field behind the *snip* church. Motorbikes often are there too.
    Who are these people, do they know horses are kept next to that field and there are lots of disgruntled residents sick and tired of the bloody awful racket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Take not of the times it happens, how long, how many people.

Video record it if possible.

When you have enough evidence of them being a nuisance and causing noise pollution present it to the gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The owner of the field would have to report them for trespassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Maybe he owns the land and can do what he likes on it. I doubt very much if it goes on for hours at any one time so whats the problem?

Again I dont know the area and could be comletely wrong. Comfy fence this im sittin on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

draffodx wrote: »
    When you have enough evidence of them being a nuisance and causing noise pollution present it to the gardai.

The Gardai can't act on evidence of noise pollution, it is the job of the environmental department of your county council. All Gardai have the power to do is come and have a word with them and request they keep the noise to a minimum but they have no power to enforce it.

Quazzie wrote: »
    The Gardai can't act on evidence of noise pollution, it is the job of the environmental department of your county council. All Gardai have the power to do is come and have a word with them and request they keep the noise to a minimum but they have no power to enforce it.

Interesting, can someone be prosecuted for causing noise pollution?

• Advertisement

A neighbour of mine drives a lorry so this is how I came across the information I received. It might vary slightly to this case but I think the basis is the same. I'll tell my story.

My neighbour as I mentioned drives a lorry and comes out at crazy times (pre 6am) and leaves his lorry revving to warm up while he goes back in for a cup of tea. I eventually got pissed off with this and rang the Guards to report it. They informed they have no juristiction to come out and warn him and it was the job of the environmental department in our county council, as it was pollution and as such is governed by the department of the environment.

So I quickyl rang my local CoCo and got put through to the relvant person. They then informed me that it was a pollution problem like no other and they could look into it, but the most likely outcome is that nothing would come of it because it was sporadic and they couldn't invest revenue in someone to sit there all night every night to hear it and more importantly monitor it. There was also suggested by the CoCo that their was another way to stop the guy revving and that was to change the by-laws for my estate to prohibit any HGV enterring. Thats over a year ago now and nothing was ever done.

Funnily enough I more recently found out that the same applies if your neighbour is throwing a raging house party. The guards can't tell them to turn down the music but instead can only 'request' it, but its really up to the owner to turn it down of his own accord.

If the quads are causing a nuiscance at regular times (for example 11am every sunday then report it to Meath CoCo and tell them the times. If they know a definite time they can arrange for someone to call and monitor the situation. Only then can they get AGS to act on their behalf.

So to finally answer your question, noise pollution like any other pollution is prosecutable but its getting the evidence that is the hard part.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

Quazzie wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine drives a lorry so this is how I came across the information I received. It might vary slightly to this case but I think the basis is the same. I'll tell my story.

My neighbour as I mentioned drives a lorry and comes out at crazy times (pre 6am) and leaves his lorry revving to warm up while he goes back in for a cup of tea. I eventually got pissed off with this and rang the Guards to report it. They informed they have no juristiction to come out and warn him and it was the job of the environmental department in our county council, as it was pollution and as such is governed by the department of the environment.

So I quickyl rang my local CoCo and got put through to the relvant person. They then informed me that it was a pollution problem like no other and they could look into it, but the most likely outcome is that nothing would come of it because it was sporadic and they couldn't invest revenue in someone to sit there all night every night to hear it and more importantly monitor it. There was also suggested by the CoCo that their was another way to stop the guy revving and that was to change the by-laws for my estate to prohibit any HGV enterring. Thats over a year ago now and nothing was ever done.

Funnily enough I more recently found out that the same applies if your neighbour is throwing a raging house party. The guards can't tell them to turn down the music but instead can only 'request' it, but its really up to the owner to turn it down of his own accord.

If the quads are causing a nuiscance at regular times (for example 11am every sunday then report it to Meath CoCo and tell them the times. If they know a definite time they can arrange for someone to call and monitor the situation. Only then can they get AGS to act on their behalf.

So to finally answer your question, noise pollution like any other pollution is prosecutable but its getting the evidence that is the hard part.

your mans properly out of his job now because of you well done

Did you not read the part about where I said that its over a year ago and nothing has been done?

His place of work has been contacted on numerous occasions by other people from the estate but despite the fact that their haulage license stipulates that they must supply a permanent place available for the parking of their vehicle this driver still drives home.

I'll be honest and say that at times I wished he did lose his job because there are only so many summer nights you can sleep in your own sweat because you can't open the window for fear of being woke at 4:30 am by a revving lorry, and then facing the resultant woken baby. So excuse me if you look down at me from your high horse but until you're in the same situation you can continue to enjoy the view from up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fair enough, parking a HGV in an estate isn't realy on, yes there is supposed to be a designated parking area

Ah but it goes to far at other times
    I've worked on a silage crew, starting at 5am or so for a few weeks every summer. It realy is just a few weeks every summer, not all year around

So we have to drive the tractor out of farmyard at that hour.
    Some new neigbour who moved to the area complaining repeatedly to the gardai over it :rolleyes:

It's a rural area, tractors leave a permanent farmyard at all hours during the summer, probably won't be back until 11pm, now that's a longer working day then most people in Ireland do!
    One the hazards of country living is the noise of farm machinery. People are under pressure, weather can change at any time

Anyway, if this person owns the land they can drive their quad bike
    I don't think they'd be stupid enough to drive it while mass is on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

:mad: I managed to read and understand the duplicated post so there was no need for the duplication.

It's a shame you didn't read the post before posting though.

• Advertisement

I used to work at pouring concrete floors and we used to be at it at all hours.

We were on one site beside a housing estate one night at 8pm setting up when a resident came over roaring and shouting at us to stop.

We told him we had no choice but to get everything done so we get it done ASAP and left.

However the next night we had the power floats on finishing the floor, they have to work through the night and at 2am the Gardai turned up and told the two lads working to stop or they'd be prosecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Anyway, if this person owns the land they can drive their quad bike
    I don't think they'd be stupid enough to drive it while mass is on

Asked a few questions locally and they don't own the land, and yes they have driven it during mass!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Asked a few questions locally and they don't own the land, and yes they have driven it during mass!!

Could contact the land owner then.

Don't really see the problem, though, it's during the day after all and they're not causing any obstruction to others from what I read.

Advertisement