Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Library, Wireless restriction???

Options
  • 01-09-2010 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm sitting here in the public library in Pearse Street on my laptop. I'm trying to use MS 2005 SQL Server Management Studio, I'm also trying to use Visual Web Developer 2010, I cannot log into anything here with whatever way they have the public Wi-Fi set up, I can't even play Zynga Poker on Facebook!

Does anyone know what the story is with this, if there are restrictions on the web as a matter of policy here or what the set up is???

It seems to be highly restricted, tried hooking up my iPhone WiFi to the network, internet will work off it but mail won't, it seems to be the case that anything that requires a password is shut off or blocked. :mad::mad::mad:

We'll be a long time building a "smart economy" on this kind of 1993 bullsh*t mentality!!!

EDIT: Even MS Outlook will not work in here, I'm all for keep paedo's out of libraries but this is taking the p*ss!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They'll block everything except port 53 (dns) and 80 (http) and probably block lots of the usual protocols, skype, msn, peer to peer, ssh, ftp, telnet. Port 25 (smtp mail) will be blocked to stop an infected pc spamming from the connection getting the ip address blacklisted, this is why outlook won't work

The Library isn't for You to waste resources playing Poker, they'll block that too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Would you be impressed if joe bloggs were to do nasty things on your Internet connection...and you were held to blame because the Internet connection is in your name???

Ok, it's a bit harsh with the restrictions, but they are in place for good reason.

I can't remember the "1993 bullsh1t mentality"...granted, Internet in 1993 wasn't anything to talk about compared to now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

humaxf1 wrote: »
    Would you be impressed if joe bloggs were to do nasty things on your Internet connection...and you were held to blame because the Internet connection is in your name???

Ok, it's a bit harsh with the restrictions, but they are in place for good reason.

I can't remember the "1993 bullsh1t mentality"...granted, Internet in 1993 wasn't anything to talk about compared to now.

Well there are some very obvious technical and operational solutions to such concerns, for example making users validate themselves with ID such as a drivers license or passport to a librarian before being given access.

I couldn't even check my mail on Outlook FFS, when I tried to connect my iPhone again, no can do. The internet is no longer a stream of information that is exclusively tied to a desktop, two applications I use, MSSQL and MS Wisual Web Developer were rendered useless, if I was a student tryng to learn this stuff I'd have been completely bamboozled.

I know there are concerns with abuse of the system but I just thought it was a bit Irish, restrictions here there and everywhere and when I asked the girl behind the desk what the story was she hdn't a clue, ok in fairness to her I didn't really expect her to be able to do anything about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

MrDarcy wrote: »
    Well there are some very obvious technical and operational solutions to such concerns, for example making users validate themselves with ID such as a drivers license or passport to a librarian before being given access.

I couldn't even check my mail on Outlook FFS, when I tried to connect my iPhone again, no can do. The internet is no longer a stream of information that is exclusively tied to a desktop, two applications I use, MSSQL and MS Wisual Web Developer were rendered useless, if I was a student tryng to learn this stuff I'd have been completely bamboozled.

I know there are concerns with abuse of the system but I just thought it was a bit Irish, restrictions here there and everywhere and when I asked the girl behind the desk what the story was she hdn't a clue, ok in fairness to her I didn't really expect her to be able to do anything about it...

Outlook will never work on any new internet provider without making changes to Your outgoing smtp settings in outlook. Every Isp in the world blocks port 25 (smtp) and makes You use the Isp's own mail server to send mail, this is the way they protect their ip addresses and combat spam. Businesses usually need to get their IT to setup a vpn to the company network mail server and route outgoing mail through there to get around this and send mail from anywhere. Its just poor IT work if You can't send Yours.

Advertisement