Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some mysql4/phpbb3 issues.

Options
  • 01-09-2010 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭

Eh, well, I run a website for a clan I'm in for a game. While I was messing about in the Admin panel, just moving some forums around (like, just hitting the blue arrow, not actually doing anything at all), something happened with the host and the site went down. When I went back onto the forums, it had somehow managed to merge cats and subforums that really had no business being together, at least, I can't figure out how they would've got there.

Anyway, whenever I click on a forum and select from the drop-down which cat I want it to be a subforum of, it comes up with some errors regarding mysql.

Now, I've been doing this stuff for awhile so I know my way around the front end, but it's been an awful long time since I've done anything including mysql. From the information the error gives me, I can kinda figure out where the problem is, but I don't want to tamper with it because I don't want to mess anything up more than it is.

I have a backup of the forums, but it's dated and I've done an awful lot of work on it since then in regards to posts as well as custom profile fields and things. My plan is to restore the latest outdated backup, edit the new backup of the currently ruined forums, take out the bad tables, and restore the new backup. But I'm not sure if that would work, so I'm looking for advice (or help! help would be even better!).

Any ideas how to go about this? The error given to me that I mentioned is below:

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Out of range value adjusted for column 'right_id' at row 1 [1264]

SQL

UPDATE phpbb_forums SET left_id = left_id - 8, right_id = right_id - 8, forum_parents = '' WHERE left_id > 11

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mysql.php
    LINE: 174
    CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: includes/acp/acp_forums.php
    LINE: 1283
    CALL: dbal_mysql->sql_query()

LINE: 1200
    CALL: acp_forums->move_forum()

LINE: 186
    CALL: acp_forums->update_forum_data()

FILE: includes/functions_module.php
    LINE: 507
    CALL: acp_forums->main()

FILE: adm/index.php
    LINE: 74
    CALL: p_master->load_active()

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'm not sure this is the right forum for it, so it might get moved... But if code that had been working is now not working, then it is likely that the MySQL database fields may have changed... Can you access PHPmyAdmin to view the fields of the MySQL database?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Yeah, I wasn't really sure where it would fit. :confused:

Yeah, I have access to phpMyAdmin but again, I'm not 100% on what to do and I don't want to take the chance to mess things up further. What should I look for?

Either way, it's always handy to have PHPMyAdmin running and know how to get in to it.. I always use it for running the SQL queries before building them in the PHP code...

that error Out of range value adjusted for column mostly occurs when INSERT (or an update query in this case) query makes try to insert an empty value into a NOT NULL field

Did you perhaps set up a field in the new MySQL database that does not NOW allow you to enter a blank, and PREVIOUSLY did. You should be able to see this easily in PHPMYAdmin.. next step is to get in to that..

I haven't touched the database directly, any fields I've entered have just been through phpbb3's own system so I'm not sure why it would screw up.

I don't have access to phpMyAdmin at the moment as I've forgotten the password and I'm waiting for someone to give it to me. I'm not sure what tables I should be looking at once I log in, or even what parts of them are messed up. It was 100% caused by the fact that I was rearranging forums when the server/host unexpectedly went down; what I can't figure out is how to undo that and somehow retain the posts since the last backup..

I'm kinda trying to do a comparison between an old backup and a backup of the screwed one but again, don't know what to look for..

liah wrote: »
    It was 100% caused by the fact that I was rearranging forums when the server/host unexpectedly went down; what I can't figure out is how to undo that and somehow retain the posts since the last backup..

Can you define rearranging for me? Did you change field names, table names, number of fields, TYPE of fields etc etc... There is usually a backup tab in PHPMYAdmin that allows you to import / export the database. Depending on who your web host provider is, they may do daily backups and may be able to help.

• Advertisement

Have you used phpbb3 before? I was just in the admin panel on the manage forums tab, clicking the little blue arrow to change the order of appearance. That's it. Then the server went down, and when it came up it was all screwed.

There was no renaming or removing or adding, just rearranging so the categories displayed in a different order on the index page.

I already have a really old backup but I've done a lot of work on the forums since then. I don't want to lose the posts from the current forums; the posts and stuff are still there, I just can't move them, or any forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Heya,

Looks like the forum tree is busted; but it should be relatively straight forward to fix. Download phpBB's support toolkit and run the "Fix Left / Right IDs" tool, should do the trick.

Advertisement