Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long for new licence?

Options
  • 01-09-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Hey. Ive been waiting for a shotgun licence to either be approved or denied since July 2nd. So far ive heard nothing. I dont really want to ring my local and ask whats going on as I may come off like an impatient gun nut :)

Just wondering how long does it normally take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Arcto wrote: »
    Hey. Ive been waiting for a shotgun licence to either be approved or denied since July 2nd. So far ive heard nothing. I dont really want to ring my local and ask whats going on as I may come off like an impatient gun nut :)

Give it another 4 weeks...Then make some enquiries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Bloody hellfire! :)

They must be pretty backed up with all the new licences due to the new 3 year thingy.

Oh well, off out the back garden to shoot CD's and cans with my airsoft replicas, hehe.

Bloody hellfire! :)

They must be pretty backed up with all the new licences due to the new 3 year thingy.

Oh well, off out the back garden to shoot CD's and cans with my airsoft replicas, hehe.
    I have mates that have been waiting 8 months.... It will come..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Ive been waiting for a shotgun licence since July 2nd. ............

They have 3 months to process each application. It can take less than this, more than this or sometimes alot more than this.

dwight wrote:
    Give it another 4 weeks...Then make some enquiries

+1
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

If I were you I´d start making enquiry´s now. My first 2 licenses took 3 months, the next 7 months. If you leave it sitting there so will they.

But having said that a like for like substitution license for me took just one working day to have the new license in my hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

The fastest I've had a renewal is six weeks and the longest for a new application is 18 months. After two months I think it's time to make a polite enquiry at your local station, there is a distinction to be drawn between being pushy and not giving a sh1t if you get the licence or not. Just remember it is never the fault of the person you are talking to but someone up the line who may have misplaced your application. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Handed mine in on 11th may, new licence for a rifle and still nothing. Everytime i ring they say same thing, nothing to worry about just a big backlog give it another few weeks. Pain in the arse at this stage but what else can ya do eh?!!

So after writing the post above thismornin i decided id give the superintendents clerk a bell and see if there was any news, the girl who answered said the girl who looks after these is off but she can put me through to the man himself and i can ask him, so i said sure put me through, told him how long its been ect and he took my details and said he'll look it up and call me back later. Just wondering how long ya's reckon i should leave it before i call him back if i dont hear from him???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

So after writing the post above thismornin i decided id give the superintendents clerk a bell and see if there was any news, the girl who answered said the girl who looks after these is off but she can put me through to the man himself and i can ask him, so i said sure put me through, told him how long its been ect and he took my details and said he'll look it up and call me back later. Just wondering how long ya's reckon i should leave it before i call him back if i dont hear from him???

A week

If it is a renewal tell him you need it to buy ammo.
    If it's a first time, tell him you have farmers on to you to take care of vermin

If it is a renewal tell him you need it to buy ammo.
    If it's a first time, tell him you have farmers on to you to take care of vermin

I'm not knocking the ideas, but on a cautionary note be careful how you "push" the local Super. If he has had a bad day/week your call could be all the motivation he needs to snap and use you as his punch bag. You could find your application at the bottom of the pile again.

There is no harm ringing, but simply ask on the progression of the application rather than giving reasons why he needs to hurry your application. I'm not suggesting being a push over, but a friend i know went the same route and was quite bluntly told " We have 3 months to process applications. The fact your friends received their's sooner is their good fortune however your's could take the full 3 months." It did.

Just a small piece of advice to bear in mind.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

ezridax wrote: »
    I'm not knocking the ideas, but on a cautionary note be careful how you "push" the local Super. If he has had a bad day/week your call could be all the motivation he needs to snap and use you as his punch bag. You could find your application at the bottom of the pile again.

There is no harm ringing, but simply ask on the progression of the application rather than giving reasons why he needs to hurry your application. I'm not suggesting being a push over, but a friend i know went the same route and was quite bluntly told " We have 3 months to process applications. The fact your friends received their's sooner is their good fortune however your's could take the full 3 months." It did.

Just a small piece of advice to bear in mind.

Well In my experience, the more I do, the more they do.
    however, I did not say push :D
    More a bit of gentle persuasion
    massage their egos, tell them. i know yee are shockin busy, But .........

Well In my experience, the more I do, the more they do.
    however, I did not say push :D

I'm delighted for your experience, but its not always case with everyone else in other districts.
    More a bit of gentle persuasion

So in otherwords a "push". See the inverted commas.

The problem is everyone wants their application treated as important and rushed along. Unfortunately with 10,000 / 15,000 / 20,000 applications per district this is not always the case and while an elite few may have a good relationship with their FO/Super and enjoy a prompt process time it does not happen for 99% of the rest of the people.

Again Tack, i'm not knocking your idea to ring up and check, far from it. I encourage the follow up of an application, but hold off on the "i need ............", or the "i want ........" until the given time frame for an applications processing is up. After the 3 months you can come at it from a more demanding side.

I'm delighted for your experience, but its not always case with everyone else in other districts.

So in otherwords a "push". See the inverted commas.

The problem is everyone wants their application treated as important and rushed along. Unfortunately with 10,000 / 15,000 / 20,000 applications per district this is not always the case and while an elite few may have a good relationship with their FO/Super and enjoy a prompt process time it does not happen for 99% of the rest of the people.

Again Tack, i'm not knocking your idea to ring up and check, far from it. I encourage the follow up of an application, but hold off on the "i need ............", or the "i want ........" until the given time frame for an applications processing is up. After the 3 months you can come at it from a more demanding side.

well said Sir....

On the 11th of this month it'll be 5 months since i handed it into the station...

On the 11th of this month it'll be 5 months since i handed it into the station...

Some lads will say, leave it. I hounded them, they got rid of me by giving it to me. Thats my story and i am sticking to it :D

Now that i would be all over.

Now that i would be all over.

As I said previously Ezri, we need you in Port-lowsey Garda Reserves FO position :D

I don't know Tack, my wage demands are pretty high. I don't think they could afford me.;):D

I don't know Tack, my wage demands are pretty high. I don't think they could afford me.;):D

Well, if you got CARTE BLANCH for lisencing your own WMD then the pay would only be a bonus

I said to them once I was going to join, they gave me my licence a day later:p

On a side note and in keeping (somewhat) with the theme of the thread. I always thought if someone with a good knowledge of the new rules and regulations wa brought into local stations to give advice, aid, info, support etc, it would have reduced alot of the waiting times and applications being returned due to clerical errors.

As we all know Gardai at the local level cannot give it the rubber stamp, that is still down to the Super so there could be no perception of being biased for the shooter. Everything would have to still be 100% correct and right, but i imagine having a correctly filled in application, with all necessary details and accompanying documents, (extra info, etc) to pass up the food chain would speed up or more to the point unclog the system and hence speed up all applications and reduce current backlogs.

I done something similar at the start of the new system (as best i could) by holding local meetings with gun club members, locals with difficulties, etc. I know of plenty of others that done so and also ranges that held information days, and i truely believe if it were not for these people holding these sort of help days there could be a longer backlog.

Just a personal opinion.

• Advertisement

The local Sgt asked me to tell another pistol shooter what kind of Q's were asked in an interview.

As previously mentioned by moi, I have helped 9-10 people fill in forms, all got them well in time, i typed out cover notes for some of them.

IMvHO Boards.ie can play an integral part in eliminating waiting times, by helping the average joe to fill out the form

........ Boards.ie can play an integral part in eliminating waiting times, by helping the average joe to fill out the form

Too true.

It helped me out. When i first filled out the application form i was unsure what the "Sights" box actually covered. I asked my local FO and Garda, but as the forms were new they did not know. I ticked the box and mentioned the details of the scopes i used on my extra information sheet.

I later found out through Boards.ie what exactly was meant by the sights box and when filling it in for the new rifles i've bought i did not make the same mistake.

Problem is not everyone has access to the net, or someone that uses the net as is apparent by the large number of still unlicensed firearms out there. Now i know that some are in the system and yet to be processed and others are still slowly dribbling through, but there are still people out there unsure as to how exactly things work. I won't go into all that talk again as it has been done so to death, but hopefully everyone has learned from how the system worked and more to the point did not work. Mistakes made should be noted and corrected for future reference. If not then it was all a monumental waste of time.

End of preaching/rant. :D

+1

When I joined MRC it opened my eyes to what folk had licensed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sam I Am

Didn't you say 11th May? 4 months by my maths.
    I handed mine in (renewal, as such), about a week before you, different district of course, just got mine this week.
    So give it another week or so.
    I think they are gradually catching up.

Sam I Am wrote: »
    Didn't you say 11th May? 4 months by my maths.
    I handed mine in (renewal, as such), about a week before you, different district of course, just got mine this week.
    So give it another week or so.
    I think they are gradually catching up.
    Haha, i think your right!! 4 months it is so!

Advertisement