Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

16 lessons - mandatory from 6thdec.

• 01-09-2010 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0901/driving.html

This has been threatening to come in for years but thought we'd get more notice than a few months.

My first bike provo is up soon. I was going to just get the 2nd provo and trade up my bike around November, worry about the test next year. Looks like I'll have to apply for the test now though and splash out on a pre test before getting hit for 12 lessons after december.

I know its just been announced but anyone know if this will effect all tests done after 6th december or just everyone who applies after 6th december? My trade up is in serious doubt now :(

Great news if you're a bike instructor I suppose.

edit: Sorry, just seen the other thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

don't know.....but luckily enough I did 12 hrs when I started out. I'd imagine it will apply to anyone after 6th whether u applied or not. Next they'll have us wearing R-Plates when we pass :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

I've heard (not 100% so make sure you check) this only applies to first porvisionals after that date.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

clown bag wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0901/driving.html

I know its just been announced but anyone know if this will effect all tests done after 6th december or just everyone who applies after 6th december? My trade up is in serious doubt now :(

edit: Sorry, just seen the other thread.

Straight from the RSA.ie website .....

I already hold a learner permit for a car how do the changes affect me?

The compulsory lessons as announced will not apply to you as you already hold a learner permit in the licence category. The lessons will apply to those taking out a first time learner permit after the dates for introducing the lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 NitroHead91

mopi wrote: »
    Straight from the RSA.ie website .....

I already hold a learner permit for a car how do the changes affect me?

The compulsory lessons as announced will not apply to you as you already hold a learner permit in the licence category. The lessons will apply to those taking out a first time learner permit after the dates for introducing the lessons.

I Hope this is the case !!! Its just a money racket at the end of the day..
    Does the government not realise that we simply DO NOT have money right now !!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Does the government not realise that we simply DO NOT have money right now !!!:mad:

Its not a money making racket, 20% of road deaths are motorcyclists and they make up 2 % of the road users, and a kid at the moment can do a theory test and get up on a bike that can do 150kph plus, with absolutely no training, madness.
    try put your brain in gear before your mouth next time, UK have been doing this since 1964, our banana republic is only know doing what it should have done years ago.

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Its not a money making racket, 20% of road deaths are motorcyclists and they make up 2 % of the road users, and a kid at the moment can do a theory test and get up on a bike that can do 150kph plus, with absolutely no training, madness.

In that case why doesnt the government teach kids to drive cars/bikes while in public schools, like they do in the U.S....Do this at the age of 15-16, that way everybody has the neccesary training before they can legally drive on public roads...And money isnt an issue... That makes sense

When this law comes in...you still can drive the motorbike capable of over 150kph cos its mandatory to wait six months before applying for the full test.... So they still have six months to kill themselves....That doesnt make sense

Am i correct or wrong ??

I agree it may seem as if i dont value my life on this one....I shudda thought out that post a lil better !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

In that case why doesnt the government teach kids to drive cars/bikes while in public schools, like they do in the U.S....Do this at the age of 15-16, that way everybody has the neccesary training before they can legally drive on public roads...And money isnt an issue... That makes sense

When this law comes in...you still can drive the motorbike capable of over 150kph cos its mandatory to wait six months before applying for the full test.... So they still have six months to kill themselves....That doesnt make sense

Am i correct or wrong ??

Your wrong you do the training before you get your learner permit.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Your wrong you do the training before you get your learner permit.

I see there an Endorsment learner permit requiring suppervision from a qualified instructor until 16 hours CBT is completed

Its a harsh movement...but if its saves lives its all worth while....I just disaggree with the €600+ pricetag on the 16 hour lessons...Then again, how much can you value your life at ??

Because the public transport is so shoddy, people have no choice but to drive to/from work or college....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Am i correct or wrong ??

No not totally correct, when the kid pass's his theory he gets his permit, this allows him to go to his ADI and start accompanied lessons only, so until he has done the 16 hours he cannot drive on his own, imo his chances of survival should improve 100% long term. for clarification purposes I am not an ADI, just a grumpy fifty year old with a few scars that I would not have if I had had the training first not last.

• Advertisement
Advertisement