Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Mast, Rush

Options
  • 01-09-2010 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

The mast to be situated in the golf club is in an area zoned high amenity , open space and sensitive landscape , hardly an appropriate site. it is an area marked in the biodiversity plan as protected too . It will be visible from the beach at low tide, it will be another blight on a town full of wires and cables. Is that what we want for our town?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

The mast to be situated in the golf club is in an area zoned high amenity , open space and sensitive landscape , hardly an appropriate site. it is an area marked in the biodiversity plan as protected too . It will be visible from the beach at low tide, it will be another blight on a town full of wires and cables. Is that what we want for our town?

So is your main objection visual or possible health concerns? I might be going out on a limb here by saying we arnt the only town with wires and cables. Thats the price you pay for having an internet connection, phone line and electricity to power all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Sandyhills ms

Show me a paper from a respected journal that conclusively says there is no health concerns and i will scrap that reason off my list! Visual eyesore is also a big concern.This is straying from the eirgrid topic , apologies.

Show me a paper from a respected journal that conclusively says there is no health concerns and i will scrap that reason off my list! Visual eyesore is also a big concern.This is straying from the eirgrid topic , apologies.

Well perhaps the Mods can break this into a O2 Mast in Rush Thread if we ask nicely. Well as we have said in the Eirgrid debate nothing is 100% safe and if there is such a safety concern about the mast I believe that the Stop the Mast campaign if successful should campaign against the existing masts in Rush or it loses creditability as it looks like another "not in my back garden" argument but I am happy to see my fellow townspeople up the road suffer from any side effects that there may be.

Visual eyesore hmmm where do I start? No lack of them in Rush from falling down glasshouses, derelict houses in the main st, poorly designed developments to houses blighting the landscape along the beaches. A mobile mast with supports seems along way down the list of eyesores that we allowed to happen in the town. Saying that we nave too many cables and wires already in the town while ignoring the bigger messes that blight the Rush Landscape is a bit rich.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Well perhaps the Mods can break this into a O2 Mast in Rush Thread if we ask nicely.

Thanks for asking so nicely Corsendonk:)

Now done

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

there is a mobile mast beside the m50 between tallaght and sandyford that is camoflagued as a tree. i bet 80% or people driving by did not even notice.

i dont think they are "eyesores" its just technology. sure years ago they had telegraph poles. we got used to them and think nothing of them now. its an improvement if anything.

as for health risks ...... we have bigger things to be worrying about than that. besides having a mobile in your pocket....... must be way worse than a mast in the open.

• Advertisement

not the one i am talking about but its similar. and its in a related forum...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54865354

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Well perhaps the Mods can break this into a O2 Mast in Rush Thread if we ask nicely. Well as we have said in the Eirgrid debate nothing is 100% safe and if there is such a safety concern about the mast I believe that the Stop the Mast campaign if successful should campaign against the existing masts in Rush or it loses creditability as it looks like another "not in my back garden" argument but I am happy to see my fellow townspeople up the road suffer from any side effects that there may be.

Visual eyesore hmmm where do I start? No lack of them in Rush from falling down glasshouses, derelict houses in the main st, poorly designed developments to houses blighting the landscape along the beaches. A mobile mast with supports seems along way down the list of eyesores that we allowed to happen in the town. Saying that we nave too many cables and wires already in the town while ignoring the bigger messes that blight the Rush Landscape is a bit rich.

No we dont have to object to the ones currently in place. Some are a good bit away from houses. But we do need to do these things a little better

"Not im my backgarden". I am not in favour people who go down this route and I dont think thats the angle very many come at it from.

Having listened to the stuff I did last night I am seriously worried about the way big industry is steam rolling over people.

I wonder if any members of the golf club are reading this? They might know a bit about the deal and confirm if €15,000 is accurate

As an aside you might actually compliment some of the work that has been done in Rush instead of knocking it, or join in and roll up the sleeves some Saturday

i dont think its the normal people being steam rolled here. its the people we have put in charge not doing everything they can to accomadate as many of us as we can rather than helping the company.

Thats fair enough.

But having listened last night I would say my trust for people making some important decisions has dwindled quite a bit.

• Advertisement

i would agree with you on that also. but without getting into an possible lenghty argument on how the gverment is run, there is people without the ability to make informed decisions due to lack of knowledge or quite possibly blinded by the thoughts of an extra few quid in the coffers from a large comapny

Motorways and masts I have no problem with that, Martron, motorways tend not to have creches, protected dunes and a growing junior school full of prefabricated buildings . There's a suitable place for this kind of technology ,I look out on one from my job window and am quite happy to do that , do i have to look at one when I am chilling down on the beach?. If our town was a tidy town winner would eirgrid be coming up our main street? I somehow doubt it.

Motorways and masts I have no problem with that, Martron, motorways tend not to have creches, protected dunes and a growing junior school full of prefabricated buildings . There's a suitable place for this kind of technology ,I look out on one from my job window and am quite happy to do that , do i have to look at one when I am chilling down on the beach?. If our town was a tidy town winner would eirgrid be coming up our main street? I somehow doubt it.

Your last sentence is so important. Rush people are finally a voice thanks to some people who are sick of being dumped on. Sandyhills ms, You are dead right this Eirgrid stuff and Phone mast stuff would be dealth with in a different way.

In fairness to some posters here they are not yet fully aware of the way Rush has been neglected and overlooked over a very long period. And I know, we should have stood up sooner, we didnt, but now we are getting some good leadership lets get behind them.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can we keep the Eirgrid debate in the Eirgrid thread. This thread was created to cover the O2 Mast

Thanks

Beasty

Anytime I am chilling on the beach as you like to put it, I usually find myself mostly looking out at sea or at Portrane or Lambay. Will you be objecting to building on those two locations too? The wind turbine on Lambay must be disturbing to your chilling it been metal and sticking up in the air and whirling about:D Surely with the high dunes and the two storey goif clubhouse in between you should barely see the top of the mast?

I actually think there is something relaxing about the wind turbines. Mind you I am very close to 1 every day and it does "whir" or "drone" when its rotating fast and I would not like to se them on top of houses, if ya know what I mean.

ON TOPIC, It appears very little thought is given to where these masts are placed. Like other topics I think we sat back for way to long on this subject.

One problem any state body has around here is credability after what we heard at the Eirgrid meeting. If the powers that be dont do something to organise themselves and inform local communities they will have little or no support for anything they do in the future.

I think theres a place for everything including windmills

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks,

I presume this will result in a better signal for 02 broadband wireless users when the mast is installed?

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks,

I presume this will result in a better signal for 02 broadband wireless users when the mast is installed?

Yes, the signal for 02 is pretty bad in parts of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

A poster above wanted access to peer reviewed science that showed no known health risk from the proposed mast. The first thing I did when the notice came in the door was google the science in Google Scholar. I couldn't find any current evidence that health issues have been confirmed due to the siting of phone masts. There is so much evidence that they are not a risk that anyone can easily review the subject.
    Here is just one recent paper:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...2&searchtype=a

An easier way to review briefly is to read a well sourced synopsis like this wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_...ion_and_health

Quote:The World Health Organization, based upon the consensus view of the scientific and medical communities, has stated that cancer is unlikely to be caused by cellular phones or their base stations and that reviews have found no convincing evidence for other health effects.

Planning in Rush is nightmarish. The town looks as though all the buildings where thrown into the air and left where they fell. Decay and "urban sprawl" are rampant. We desperately need a bi pass, upgraded roads, transport infrastructure etc. We have far more important issues to tackle in the town than where a mobile mast is sited. And indeed it seems to me that the middle of a golf course is as good a site as any as it is away from residences. I sincerely doubt it would prove to be much of an eyesore . (Certainly not nearly so much as the building rubble permitted to be used to shore up the dunes along the Rogerstown end of South Beach).

There is barely a person in Rush over the age of 12 that does not own a mobile phone. Services brings consequences and the consequence of access to mobile communication is mobile phone masts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I agree that the health argument against mobile masts is not very strong at all. In fact, we a far more likely to suffer serious health issues from Radon Gas in our homes.

Radon is a threat in our homes in Rush! now thats alarmist nonsense, less than 1% of houses in a 10km radius of Rush has a reading of radon above the refernce levels. Imokyrok it would be nice to read your science link, if it wasn't a dud link. Strange logic that its ok to add another ugly monstrosity to our skyline purely because we already live in a badly planned town which has other matters to be addressed. Its not about banning masts its about taking precautions by placing them away from schools and creches, our town is surrounded by fields why not place one away from homes etc. I am told Kerry County council have a 1 km rule.

That is not what I said. It is more of a threat to human health than a mobile mast.

Do not put words in my mouth.

Radon is a threat in our homes in Rush! now thats alarmist nonsense, less than 1% of houses in a 10km radius of Rush has a reading of radon above the refernce levels..

Thats a 1 in a 100 chance, are they acceptable risks when radon causes 56% of lung cancer in Ireland due to long term exposure?

I work in telecoms myself and have yet to see any planning for a mast or relay refused on health grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Another study done on this recently in the UK...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0623/1224273111437.html

OP, your issue seems to be purely based on aesthetics. I'd have to agree with the following:

These things have to go somewhere. Would you have an issue with it going into Balbriggan/Skerries/Lusk? Why should Rush be immune from these developments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Just curious, how are locations selected for masts?

Does the provider just determine a poor coverage area in their network, and then approach land/property owners directly to see if they would be willing to accomodate them for a fee? I assume planning is then also needed, right?

Insights welcome, thanks.

Hi Chinafoot,
    Thanks for that science paper , though I am still with health concerns given the paper as far as I can see...:confused:

''The study was funded by the U.K. Mobile Telecommunications Health Research Programme, a body set up to provide money for research into the possible health effects of mobile telecommunications. The organization is jointly funded by the U.K. Department of Health and the mobile telecommunications industry.''

Does this not even raise a little concern ,enough to perhaps err on the side of caution and place a mast in the middle of a field away from schools and homes and amenity areas. Given that I can cycle to a unpoplulated area in less than 10 minutes .

Here's the skinny from the World Health Organisation: Electromagnetic fields and public health

To get straight to the interesting bit...
    CONCLUSIONS

Considering the very low exposure levels and research results collected to date, there is no convincing scientific evidence that the weak RF signals from base stations and wireless networks cause adverse health effects.

• Advertisement

Hi Chinafoot,
    Thanks for that science paper , though I am still with health concerns given the paper as far as I can see...:confused:

''The study was funded by the U.K. Mobile Telecommunications Health Research Programme, a body set up to provide money for research into the possible health effects of mobile telecommunications. The organization is jointly funded by the U.K. Department of Health and the mobile telecommunications industry.''

perhaps they sponsored the research to show transparency in what they were doing. at the end of the day the buck would have stopped with the uk department of health. so they will hardly publish bogus claims to appease a phone company. it would not ne in their interest

Advertisement