Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westboro Baptist Church, apparently God hates Ireland!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I thought it was stupid and then I saw that they hate Finland.
    Now it's just retarded. Nobody hates Finland.

Out of curiosity though, how do they get away with using well known images for spreading hatred? The Beatles Abbey Road being one - but surely the other well known faces dont want their images there - Winehouse, Adam Sandler, etc...???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

That website has been around for ages. WBC aim to have a site for every nation in the world God hates-which is every nation,apparently. According to them, God is a misanthropist. Considering they believe God made humans they must worship a pretty silly deity, as creating something you end up hating does'nt seem like a smart thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Ush1 wrote: »
    http://www.godhatestheworld.com/ireland/index.html

In the video, the flag looks suspiciously like an Italian one.
    I see your link, and raise you another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Apparently what triggered it was the Trinity Philosophy Society inviting him for a debate, and he refused on the grounds that it was probably a liberal plot to lure him to Europe where our hate-speech laws would allow us to arrest him.

Anyway, I don't think the Westboro Baptists have much to do with religion. Fred Phelps is a sociopath, he happens to have chosen extreme conservativism as the tool by which he controls people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Zillah wrote: »
    Apparently what triggered it was the Trinity Philosophy Society inviting him for a debate, and he refused on the grounds that it was probably a liberal plot to lure him to Europe where our hate-speech laws would allow us to arrest him.

Point of pedantry: it was the UCD Literary and Historical society, actually. Link.
    Pushtrak wrote: »
    I see your link, and raise you another.

Sadly, the WBC are not satire. They picket funerals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

If God hates Ireland, then why did He send St Patrick to us, then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

branie wrote: »

To drive out the snakes, who the English sent in to eat all our potatoes, didnt you do history in school?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

branie wrote: »
    1500 years of christianity?

Though I can't imagine what national sins could have merited that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Of what extraction is your man Phelps? Wonder if he's AS critical of his ancestor nation(s).

Let he who is withou sin... Yadda yards yadda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Let he who is withou sin... Yadda yards yadda

I like that guy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

WBC spokesperson: "Heath Ledger was a fag lover and enabler. We are going to picket his funeral, you can count on that!"

Reporter: "It's in Australia."

WBC spokesperson: "...."

• Registered Users Posts: 24 micktrim

people like that deserve a slap

One more (I think this is genius)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Anyone see the Louis Theroux doc on the WBC? its well worth a watch, Phelps is a cretin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Point of pedantry: it was the UCD Literary and Historical society, actually. Link.

Can anyone find this game mentioned in the above link;
    There's also a brainteaser to while away the hours entitled Fags v Kids ("the object of the game is to place exactly five sodomites -- represented by pink swastikas -- and exactly three kids -- represented by a baby bottle -- onto the grid on the right so that none of the the sodomites can get their repulsive hands on the children"). Suduko move over.
    It just sounds hilarious..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Do you know what God really hates? I mean something totally gets up his snots, sends into one of those red mist rages.

It's when practically the last person in the world to have heard of the WBC thinks this might be interesting to anybody else. It isn't. It's been done to death again
    and
    again
    and
    again
    and
    again
    and
    (well you see where I'm going with this)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Craven99

mehfesto wrote: »
    One more (I think this is genius)
    It IS genius

It's when practically the last person in the world to have heard of the WBC thinks this might be interesting to anybody else. It isn't. It's been done to death again and again.....

Ah now, yes most people have been aware of them for a long long time but come on they're the funniest fundamentalists going, I can never resist a fresh nose at their sites when they pop back up on forums/the news or in conversation. And the sites are kept somewhat updated so there's something new to laugh at every time. Lighten up, keep talking like that and you'll become the Anti-Phelps, doomed to walk the earth a militant fundamentalist of vaguely liberal origins, picketing the births of babies which could have been aborted...

Meh, not only are most people aware of it, it would see most posters are too lazy to do a simple search so see if it's been done (to death) before. Don't worry the weekend approaches, my mood is improving.

I do however like your Anti-Phelps idea though, I think I'll go picket a hetro wedding this weekend, "Homo or Go Home", how's that for a chant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Meh, not only are most people aware of it

I completely disagree, most of my friends would have no idea who the WBC are, only through me or one of my other atheist friends saying it to them would they know.

Say it to them by all means, respond to one of the many threads devoted to all things WBC, just don't start a new thread on here every second week like you've just discovered a new continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Every second week? You found four. Only two in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

LOL who took the jam out of your donut Pman?

Internet in Duplicate Thread Shocker.
    New Users Blamed For Not Knowing The Interwebs Fully

distraught-woman.jpg
    This woman was admitted for mental therapy when she found an old topic rehashed. "I just can't seem to not click into the threads that don't interest me anymore!" she exclaimed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I saw the Theroux documentary a couple of years ago. They really are batsh!t mental. What was interesting/mental is that one of them was a journalist who came to report on them, but wound up joining them.

strobe wrote: »
    LOL who took the jam out of your donut Pman?

Someone took the hole of my doughnut and replaced it with jam. When I find the fecker, :mad:, I won't be held responsible that's all I can say.

most of my friends would have no idea who the WBC are

I think its fair to say they aren't current affairs people then. Most people know of the WBC as the loonys who picket soldiers funerals, when they started at that the American and British media went mad for them.

mehfesto wrote: »
    New Users Blamed For Not Knowing The Interwebs Fully

I'm glad somebody else around here grasps the enormity of the issue, I was beginning to think I was on my own.

It would be worse if the OP actually were a new user (as opposed to somebody with 3K posts who should probably know better), new user's really need it put to them.

• Advertisement

I'm glad somebody else around here grasps the enormity of the issue, I was beginning to think I was on my own.

It would be worse if the OP actually were a new user (as opposed to somebody with 3K posts who should probably know better), new user's really need it put to them.

Maybe it should go in the forum charter.. and all these pesky threads be moved to the christianity forum where they surely belong.. after all why would an atheist care for the rantings of a christian organisation?

Advertisement