Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a book collection ... how?

Options
  • 01-09-2010 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

I have anywhere between 70-100 Sci-Fi/Fantasy books to sell off as I am clearing out the house.
    I honestly have no idea how to go about selling them. Individually is pointless, as postage would cost more than the book.
    As a collection, I cant see anyone buying the lot in one go. A lot of these are quite popular fantasy books that most people would already have several of.
    Second hand stores are more interested in swaps than buying outright.

Has anyone sold a book collection before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Feel free to move if I have chosen the wrong forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

There's a couple of second hand shops that buy in bulk. Chapters is the only one I remember, since I buy there, but there was a thread a while back listing more. Do a search and see if it pops up.
    You could try to sell through adverts with the restriction that the items would be pick up only, no postage available, which is allowed. You could sell whatever will sell that way, in bulk or to a few or more individual buyers and maybe donate whatever is left to charity after a few months/when the enquiries peter out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

You should consider giving them to oxfam books or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Just wondering - how did this work out? I am new to boards so I do seem to have missed quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Chapters offer little enough these days. Their s&f sells for E3-5 so they buy well below tfat to turn a profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Hard for the second hand book shops (businesses and empolyers) to compete with book supermarkets and charity shops. I did like the Hay on Wye idea when I saw it.

Advertisement