Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering + Honours Math situation

• 01-09-2010 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

I am about to go into 4th year and i want to do engineering but i did Ordinary level maths for my JC and i know you need honours math for engineering in college.

What do i do? Can i take up H Maths? If I work hard would it be possible to pass it in the LC? or is it out of the question?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

If youre getting anything less than an A in OL JC Maths then i doubt it's likely for you to be able to go on to do Engineering in a Uni. Yould would have to work extremely hard and catch up on the HL JC course too because you learn skills in it that are vital to carry on into LC Maths. Grinds and a lot of determenation would be my recommendation!

Alternatively, you could do Engineering in an IT as opposed to a Uni and work your way from graduation from a level 6/7 course where OL Maths is the requirement and push on into level 8 in a Uni and so on, but that is a long haul because Engineers will require a Masters from 2013 onwards which could take a year to two years on top of your four year undergrad. But no professional qualification is necessary :)

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

Yould would have to work extremely hard and catch up on the HL JC course too because you learn skills in it that are vital to carry on into LC Maths
    Yea right . . . I got B in Junior , im doing honours math now and im top of the class (6th year) . If you think you are inteligent enough (im no genius)you can do it without a
    doubt
    Some people just aren't smart enough to think and write about this aspect of studing Honours Math . They should Shxxx xxx Fxxk up .
    I never have had math grind in my life .. Just did my homework and asked question .
    As cookie monster says " ASKING QUESTIONS IS A VERY GOOD WAY TO FIND OUT THE ANWSER " .

Amen . :cool: :D

btw. Im also going for engineering ,TO UCD :) and no thing is gonna stop me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Since you're about to go into 4th year, now would be a really good time to try out HL maths, but I would be getting grinds in HL JC maths the whole way through. HL JC is OL LC, so you basically have to get an A in your leaving cert by the end of the year to manage at HL leaving cert. Definitely give it a go, you can always drop back if it doesn't work out, but don't expect it to be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Some colleges offer a separate maths test for Egineering courses. If you get the points and fulfill all the other requirements except honours maths you go and sit this maths aptitude test. You can get in on that. Not too sure on the finer details of it but I'm almost certain NUIG offer this for their engineering courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I'm gonna suggest taking up Honours maths this year, or at least try and do the JC course so that if you take it up next year you'll be at the same standard as the rest of the class. And this might be a bit of a stretch depending on how you get on but if you want to do engineering then Applied Maths would be very useful to you.

JC results aren't the be all and end all. I got an A and now I'm doing pretty well, but the other guy in my class that got an A is struggling a good bit. And two of the guys that would be considered best in the class, one did ordinary for the JC and the other got a C at higher so there can be a big difference between junior and senior years.

I personally much prefer LC maths, even though I found JC maths pretty easy and interesting I only developed a love for maths in fifth year, so don't get bogged down by having done OL, just give it a go this year and hopefully you can catch up. Best of luck to you anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Some colleges offer a separate maths test for Egineering courses. If you get the points and fulfill all the other requirements except honours maths you go and sit this maths aptitude test. You can get in on that. Not too sure on the finer details of it but I'm almost certain NUIG offer this for their engineering courses.

CIT offer it too, it's right after the Leaving though, like the weekend after the last exam. (Or it was 2 years ago anyway.) It's a good idea if you're doing OL or are dodgy about getting the C3 at HL, great to have a backup in case of a bad day the day of the maths exam(s).

Advertisement