Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭brozio7

The easiest way to get to the festival is to get a taxi straight from the airport, it works out around £15-20 a head and this includes a stop a tesco or another supermarket for 20 mins or so included.

These are the lads I have used for the last 3-4 years http://www.gnstaxis.co.uk/, lovely lads and very importantly know the back roads to Glastonbury cause they are locals from cheddar half way between Bristol and Glasto.

You should be able to get from the airport to pilton village in less than an hour(40 mins ish), from pilton (closest village to the site) its about a 15 minute walk to the gates. I have had mates get the bus from the airport and take 3-4 hours with the traffic!! the bus is quite expensive too, like £12 or something; spend the extra few quid and get there easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭seniorolaighin

can i ask - what about getting back to the airport then when festival over?? any bother then?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They were saying on BBC Bristol news this morning that we might be getting ABBA this year.

I may have to get myself the sequinned outfit again:
    4743374889_b11841715d.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

brozio7 wrote: »
    The easiest way to get to the festival is to get a taxi straight from the airport, it works out around £15-20 a head and this includes a stop a tesco or another supermarket for 20 mins or so included.

These are the lads I have used for the last 3-4 years http://www.gnstaxis.co.uk/, lovely lads and very importantly know the back roads to Glastonbury cause they are locals from cheddar half way between Bristol and Glasto.

You should be able to get from the airport to pilton village in less than an hour(40 mins ish), from pilton (closest village to the site) its about a 15 minute walk to the gates. I have had mates get the bus from the airport and take 3-4 hours with the traffic!! the bus is quite expensive too, like £12 or something; spend the extra few quid and get there easily.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've just booked these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

We've gone for the last few years and we've always rented a car.

Its relatively cheap and getting out on the monday is grand as long as you leave early enough.

Oh and once you've been to glasto you will never look at oxegen or the picnic the same again. (to be fair the picnic is very good).

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    They were saying on BBC Bristol news this morning that we might be getting ABBA this year.

In a way i would love if abba were there but also i think it would ruin their legacy...........cant imagine they could top their entire career with a live gig at glasto - i could be wrong but thats for another thread!! :D

Thanks for the recommendation. I've just booked these guys.

Did they give you a quote for that??

brozio7 wrote: »

So did you just get the taxi to pilton village then?

Oh the agony of carrying beer for that length of time just to the gates!!! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

In a way i would love if abba were there but also i think it would ruin their legacy...........cant imagine they could top their entire career with a live gig at glasto - i could be wrong but thats for another thread!! :D
    I can't see it doing them any harm. They would get the Sunday afternoon slot I'd guess, lots of great singalong tunes, live on whichever BBC channel isn't showing Andy Murray getting knocked out of Wimbledon. Add a bit of sunshine and they can't loose.

It will be more than a 15 minute walk once in the site to fine somewhere to pitch the tent. If the taxi man is any good he should be able to sneak down some back roads and get you pretty close to the gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Did they give you a quote for that??

50pounds each way for the taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Thinking of driving myself , has anyone any recommendations , my first time there would getting there on thurs evening be leaving it to late.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭brozio7

yeah just to pilton, and yeah its a bitch of a walk alright with heavy bags and booze, thought my arms were going to fall off the first year i did this so the next year i bought mostly spirits and just a few cans :pac: you can get 2 litres of mixer on site for £2.50 or something, problem solved :cool:

bennyc wrote: »
    Thinking of driving myself , has anyone any recommendations , my first time there would getting there on thurs evening be leaving it to late.

If you can possibly get there earlier then do. I've been arriving on the Wednesday since the first time and it is noticeably packed by that night now when it used to only start to get proper busy the Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Are you only to able to buy one ticket - ie just one for yourself? Coz of the whole photo/reg thing?

Well you can't buy any now as they are all sold out...but there will probably be a very small resale of unpaid tickets around the beginning of April.

I think you could get up to 6(?) tickets in a single transaction back in October, but you need a photo registration number for each person that you are buying a ticket for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

What's happening with tickets for this, are more going on sale?

How much would the entire thing cost, flights, tickets, spending money etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Anymore rumours about who might be playing ? I've heard the usual u2, prince,abba,suede,pulp.......any others Im hoping Daft punk , radiohead basically looking for bands that are launching new albums....

• Registered Users Posts: 86,668 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Coldplay to headline the Saturday night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Link?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Coldplay to headline the Saturday night :(

+1 to that. :(

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2011/lineup.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Meh I'll probably still go see them if there is nothing else on that takes my fancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Good Stuff.......cant wait:)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Feu wrote: »

ah balls :(

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

i know, i was looking forward to pulp, prince, pj... I like to shake my ass to Lady B as much as the next girl, but hard to decide which of the headliners i dislike least!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

meh, headliners at most big festivals are awful.
    plenty of other stages with much better acts on at the same time that those 3 will be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

i know, i was looking forward to pulp, prince, pj... I like to shake my ass to Lady B as much as the next girl, but hard to decide which of the headliners i dislike least!

Pulp and PJ Harvey could easily be lined up for the other stage. I doubt either were ever in the running for the Pyramid. I'd say Prince is out of the running even if he was ever in it at this point. Wouldn't have minded the option of The Rolling Stones but weak Pyramid headliners just means less clashes to worry about so it isn't all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I'm gonna see PJ supporting Portishead at ATP anyway :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

I actually think Beyonce is a brilliant (and brave) choice of headliner, I think she'll blow everyone away. She's excellent live. Admittedly, not the kind of music I personally want to listen to in a field but I think she'll nail it.

Advertisement