Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

beans wrote: »
    Donny, you're out of your element

Out of my element? I am the element. I know good music and I've been to Glasto 3 times. The line up is very average. No need for 2 copy cat headliners. Nothing about the line-up sets it apart from other festivals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Glastonbury continues to sell out long before the line up is announced.

Who is playing is relativly irrelavent and Glastonbury is the reason for going to it, not who happens to be playing.

robinph wrote: »
    Who is playing is relativly irrelavent

I understand that everyone will have a great time regardless of the line-up because there's so much to see and do but isn't that a cop out? I know it's an arts festival but music is its main draw. If the line-up is poor ticket buyers have the right to be disappointed. It really adds to my enjoyment when there are the best bands playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Woohoo, I managed (Well, one of my many minions I had attempting for me) to get one of the cancelled tickets today. Should be good craic. Was last at Glasto 2 years ago (With Blur, Springsteen etc). Stoked now.

Anybody else?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

2011poster-1.jpg

• Advertisement

Woohoo, I managed (Well, one of my many minions I had attempting for me) to get one of the cancelled tickets today. Should be good craic. Was last at Glasto 2 years ago (With Blur, Springsteen etc). Stoked now.

Anybody else?

Congrats! The chances of getting one of the few remaining must have been slim. I have mine already but was trying to get one for 2 friends to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kentish

Was lucky enough to get a ticket aswell this morning!! Yaaaay!! I tried to get two but was only able to get one :( but feck it ill go alone!! cant wait!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Congrats! The chances of getting one of the few remaining must have been slim. I have mine already but was trying to get one for 2 friends to no avail.

I've always been a jammy b*stard when it comes to tickets like that. Got 2 cancells for Led Zeppelin's reunion a couple of years ago also.
    Kentish wrote:
    Was lucky enough to get a ticket aswell this morning!! Yaaaay!! I tried to get two but was only able to get one but feck it ill go alone!! cant wait!!!

Yeah.that was a pain alright but I suppose it was to give everyone a chance to get one. If you've never been there before don't worry the crowd is very friendly. You'll make new friends there no probs and have great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Anyone know if there are any taxi drivers who'd pick up a few trays of beer before picking us up at Bristol Airport? Would love to save time getting there skipping the beer stop as I don't think I'll convince my crew this time that they are better off with what is on site supplemented with some spirits in plastic bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Toast wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are any taxi drivers who'd pick up a few trays of beer before picking us up at Bristol Airport? Would love to save time getting there skipping the beer stop as I don't think I'll convince my crew this time that they are better off with what is on site supplemented with some spirits in plastic bottles.

thinks that'll be my plan, gonna spend the monday before filling plastic bottles and my playpus drink pouch. i'd say you'll struggle to get a taxi driver to be waiting with booze, but you could get lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Anyone who finds a taxi willing to do that send the number on please :)

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

Hey guys,

luckily enough, I got tickets in the resale. Bloody delighted with that. I was thinking of making a week of it. I'm taking a week off work (Wednesday-Wednesday) as I found that I'd be shattered with the regular Thursday to Monday job that I normally do.

I was thinking of throwing the idea out there of possibly organising a bus from Dublin? I realise it would be quite expensive but if we had enough people, it might be worth a try finding out.

What are your opinions? Do you think it's a little far-fetched?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

Bobon wrote: »
    Hey guys,

luckily enough, I got tickets in the resale. Bloody delighted with that. I was thinking of making a week of it. I'm taking a week off work (Wednesday-Wednesday) as I found that I'd be shattered with the regular Thursday to Monday job that I normally do.

I was thinking of throwing the idea out there of possibly organising a bus from Dublin? I realise it would be quite expensive but if we had enough people, it might be worth a try finding out.

What are your opinions? Do you think it's a little far-fetched?

Considering how cheap the Ryanair flights are now (out Tues night - back following Tuesday morning) it wouldn't be worth doing it on a bus. It is a long bloody trek by land and sea no matter what way you go.

I could understand why people with campervans would do it alright but no way if you are camping.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I was off drunk elsewhere at the time of the resale, but it seems that all four of the crowd that joined us the last few years were successful in getting tickets in the resale. Hurrah. :D

Still got to figure out when we are all going to go down to the site now. As the camper fields open on the Tuesday I'm mighty tempted to head in early and get and extra day "almost" on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Got my resale ticket and holidays booked, fourth year in a row :D

The only downside is no Rolf Harris this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

I was off drunk elsewhere at the time of the resale, but it seems that all four of the crowd that joined us the last few years were successful in getting tickets in the resale. Hurrah. :D

Still got to figure out when we are all going to go down to the site now. As the camper fields open on the Tuesday I'm mighty tempted to head in early and get and extra day "almost" on site.

I may be wrong but I think its just the carparks that open on Tuesday night and you cannot access the camping areas until Wednesday morning. You have to sleep in your vehicle on Tuesday night as you cannot camp in the carparks.

* Edit: Sorry misread your post...you said Camper Fields

Considering how cheap the Ryanair flights are now (out Tues night - back following Tuesday morning) it wouldn't be worth doing it on a bus. It is a long bloody trek by land and sea no matter what way you go.

I could understand why people with campervans would do it alright but no way if you are camping.

No way....the road trip is all part of the buzz of getting there. Personally I prefer to have my car full of all my bits and pieces and not have to worry about luggage on buses and planes.

Love having the car there to recharge the phone and change the clothes etc every morning,knowing all my stuff is dry and safely secured in the carpark. And if you get soaked at least there is a warm dry car to shelter in or go and chill out for an hour or two if it all gets too much in the campsites. :)

Love having the car there to recharge the phone and change the clothes etc every morning,knowing all my stuff is dry and safely secured in the carpark. And if you get soaked at least there is a warm dry car to shelter in or go and chill out for an hour or two if it all gets too much in the campsites. :)

:D:D

2922011973_f0d48b8937.jpg
    Car Park Flood by Solerikki, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Probably not much difference in the answer to either of these, but which destination is handier for getting to and from Glastonbury?

Rosslare to fishguard or rosslare to pembroke?

Just looking to book a ferry today, so having not been before just looking for some advise.

Cheers

Doesn't make much difference other than how sailing times might fit in with your plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Probably not much difference in the answer to either of these, but which destination is handier for getting to and from Glastonbury?

Rosslare to fishguard or rosslare to pembroke?

Just looking to book a ferry today, so having not been before just looking for some advise.

Cheers

We went rosslare/fishguard a couple of years ago....but pembroke is a bit further south and I THINK it would have been a shorter drive but the sailing times suited us better to/from fishguard. Could be wrong but if you have a choice I'd go with Pembroke

Personally, I'm going Dublin to Holyhead as I'd sooner drive south on the UK motorway rather than making my way to Rosslare from Mullingar :)

It is only 37km longer this way than going Rosslare To Fishguard

Personally, I'm going Dublin to Holyhead as I'd sooner drive south on the UK motorway rather than making my way to Rosslare from Mullingar :)

Be careful about stopping in service stations on the way down the M5 if your carrying anything of interest to sniffer dogs. Various police forces have been known to try and get a slice of the action to up their stats for the year that Avon and Somerset would get otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yep, and getting off the train. I got sniffed by a dog and the police took me around back searched through all my stuff. Ironically I must have been one of the only people at the festival without illegal substances.

Blisterman wrote: »
    Yep, and getting off the train. I got sniffed by a dog and the police took me around back searched through all my stuff. Ironically I must have been one of the only people at the festival without illegal substances.

I generally act as a pretty good diversion on the getting through the gates to Glastonbury itself as from the camper field we have to go through the gates every day. For some reason the security quite often pull me aside, I then point out a few syringes in my bag, the security get all excited for a bit, other people walk past them, the security then realise it's all for prescription stuff.

Happy times then had by all then once inside. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lyonsk3

Ok, this is my first time going to this festival. Heading from Dublin, looking to fly to Bristol. The taxi option seems the handiest, and spirits the easiest for carrying!:D

I dont have a tent organisied, any recomemdations on whats the best option? Tangerines fields is booked out. Would it be be awful hassle bringing one over, and what day is the best to go over, to get a place to pitch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Bringing a tent on the plane isn't a problem but it has to be put in the hold which means no hand luggage (the pegs and poles are the problem so if you've someone with hold luggage already booked you could get them to take those parts and you could take the rest). Watch your weight limits especially if flying with Ryanair. 15kg is quickly ate up. Most tents will have their weight on the outside or in documentation.

You can order a tent to be picked up on site from these guys. Joe Bananas appears to be out of business and Millets haven't their onsite collecting thing operational yet (was about June last year). Keep in mind the festival asks people do not abandon tents. You could always pack it up and hand it to a passerby to have.. if even to sell on ebay. Shouldn't take long to get someone to take it.

Majority of the festival arrives on Wednesday. There will always be space but you will end up further and further away from the good things as you arrive later.

Cheers Toast, great to hear from people who have been before, im a novice at this one. Been to the picnic and oxegen few times.

lyonsk3 wrote: »
    Cheers Toast, great to hear from people who have been before, im a novice at this one. Been to the picnic and oxegen few times.

Your about to enter a whole different league of festival. :D

• Advertisement

Your about to enter a whole different league of festival. :D

I know yeah, should be good craic. Im easy going when it comes to camping and all that, but 5/6 nights in a tent will test me for sure! Im going to make sure ive a decent set up, working out of a sh*tty tent is a disaster no matter what festival your at.

Advertisement