Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lindnu

I am travelling from Dublin to Bristol on Wednesday morning (6.35am flight). Anyone travelling on this flight that would like to share a taxi?

ta

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

This time next week I'll be on my way to the site. Quick stop at the airport, then meet some other guys in Wells and we should be on site and all setup by the middle of the evening.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I fair wish I was going! I'll be there in 2013!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

robinph wrote: »
    This time next week I'll be on my way to the site. Quick stop at the airport, then meet some other guys in Wells and we should be on site and all setup by the middle of the evening.

You setting up on Tuesday?

Kinda wish I'd taken more time off work. Will be working right up to this time next week.. well trying in between far too much hype. Think we're going to camp in Park Ground Home. Anyone got any advice of areas there to avoid / go for or is it all the same? I kinda remember it being a bit flat but no dangers of flooding ala pennards right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

How far away would it be once you get all set up on the Wednesday to go back out of the site, get booze and head back in or is that a non runner ?

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

opr wrote: »
    How far away would it be once you get all set up on the Wednesday to go back out of the site, get booze and head back in or is that a non runner ?

Opr

Non-runner. You'll need to buy booze in Bristol. It's a fair distance from he site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Toast wrote: »
    You setting up on Tuesday?

Kinda wish I'd taken more time off work. Will be working right up to this time next week.. well trying in between far too much hype. Think we're going to camp in Park Ground Home. Anyone got any advice of areas there to avoid / go for or is it all the same? I kinda remember it being a bit flat but no dangers of flooding ala pennards right?
    Yep, campervan fields open at midday on the Tuesday which they did for the first time last year due to the football being on. We didn't do it last year, but when we saw they were doing it again figured we'd try it out. Won't be anything happening officially, but we'll have plenty of cider, some tunes on someones ipod and I'm going to pick up a dicso ball and some lights to hang from the top of the gazebo.

Pennards was the last area that we used to camp in, year of the river and flood at the bottom, but it is now waaaay too popular and busy apparently. Park Home would be just as good, on a slight slope so less chance of flooding in muddy years but close enough to the railway track for access to everywhere and not too far from the centre.

Personally I'd never think of camping in Oxlyers, flat and busy and too close to Dance area, I'd avoid the ones up next to Pyramid for similar reasons as well, well they are not flat. The new fields around Dairy Ground next to the Park are supposed to be pretty good and not many people camped up there last year so loads of space.
    Non-runner. You'll need to buy booze in Bristol. It's a fair distance from he site.
    Wouldn't need to go as far as Bristol, Wells/ Shepton/ Glastonbury would all be open for business, but really not worth the bother. Turn up with what you can, you can then get anything else you need on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

Just had a quick google search to see what time duty free opens in Dublin airport. Apparently it opens at 5am so those of us going for the early flights and looking to get booze should be sorted. :)

lindnu wrote: »
    I am travelling from Dublin to Bristol on Wednesday morning (6.35am flight). Anyone travelling on this flight that would like to share a taxi?

ta

Lindnu, is that the Aer Lingus flight? There's a Ryanair and AerLingus flight that leaves pretty much around the same time....probably a 10 minutes difference. There should be plenty of people on those flights going to the festival so you won't be stuck.

Bobon wrote: »
    Just had a quick google search to see what time duty free opens in Dublin airport. Apparently it opens at 5am so those of us going for the early flights and looking to get booze should be sorted. :)

Make sure you can fit anything that you buy in your carry on bag.

DO NOT BRING GLASS BOTTLES.

The duty free in Dublin does have a fine selection of half size plastic bottles of various whiskeys and such like in plastic. Some of the half bottles are glass though so make sure you check before buying.

If you bring glass then you'll just be providing the gate security with free drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Make sure you can fit anything that you buy in your carry on bag.

DO NOT BRING GLASS BOTTLES.

The duty free in Dublin does have a fine selection of half size plastic bottles of various whiskeys and such like in plastic. Some of the half bottles are glass though so make sure you check before buying.

If you bring glass then you'll just be providing the gate security with free drink.
    Surely just buy the glass bottles and decant into plastic before entering the festival site?

Last time I was in Dublin Airport they had 2 litres of Captain Morgan for €40. About two months ago.

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    Surely just buy the glass bottles and decant into plastic before entering the festival site?

Last time I was in Dublin Airport they had 2 litres of Captain Morgan for €40. About two months ago.

Were these in plastic bottles by any chance AE?

That would be fan-bloody-tastic.

Alter-Ego wrote: »

That would work, but are you taking a supply of plastic bottles over with you as well?

Bobon wrote: »
    Lindnu, is that the Aer Lingus flight? There's a Ryanair and AerLingus flight that leaves pretty much around the same time....probably a 10 minutes difference. There should be plenty of people on those flights going to the festival so you won't be stuck.

thanks Bobon.. I'm on the Ryanair flight, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for others travelling (I think I'll be able to spot the festival goers!)

I have found one other girl that is interested in sharing a taxi from the airport with me - just one more person and we'd be sorted - £20 a head

I hate the thoughts of having to get a bus from the airport to Bristol bus station (1 hour in the wrong direction), and then waiting for a few hours to get a bus from the station to Glastonbury... adding a lot of extra time to our journey.

so... anyone want to be that 3rd person?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

thanks Bobon.. I'm on the Ryanair flight, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for others travelling (I think I'll be able to spot the festival goers!)

I have found one other girl that is interested in sharing a taxi from the airport with me - just one more person and we'd be sorted - £20 a head

I hate the thoughts of having to get a bus from the airport to Bristol bus station (1 hour in the wrong direction), and then waiting for a few hours to get a bus from the station to Glastonbury... adding a lot of extra time to our journey.

so... anyone want to be that 3rd person?!?!?

Its not an hour to the bus station from the airport - its 20 mins! They also used to do a specific bus to the festival from the bus station which dropped you right there.

flikflak wrote: »
    Its not an hour to the bus station from the airport - its 20 mins! They also used to do a specific bus to the festival from the bus station which dropped you right there.

sorry - I was told it could take up to 1 hour, depending on traffic.
    Do you have info on the bus that takes you from the airport to the festival?

sorry - I was told it could take up to 1 hour, depending on traffic.
    Do you have info on the bus that takes you from the airport to the festival?

The bus from the airport to the centre of Bristol could easily take up to an hour, depending on the time of day. There are no bus lanes for it to make use of on the route it takes, and it goes via Temple Meads Station on the way as well.

The biggest delay I believe would be at the bus station though where there will be masses of people hanging around with loads of kit and trying to get onto the buses to the festival site. Those buses then head of and get stuck in the regular traffic queue to the site so you could be on that for any amount of time.

Unless you really, really need to, then do not go from the airport into Bristol. Get a taxi straight to the site from the airport. You'll be coming from a different direction to the majority of traffic, which is either coming off the M5 and along the A39, or coming from Bristol down the A37. From the airport they will most likely go via Cheddar and Wells and hopefully know any other back roads to skip jams if they can.

I've never heard of there being a bus from the airport to the festival though. Share a taxi is your best option.

Robinph remember you were saying you can stop at a tesco along the way for drink if you get a taxi from the airport. Did you manage to find out what time in the morning they allow you to buy drink from ? Thanks for the help.

Opr

opr wrote: »
    Robinph remember you were saying you can stop at a tesco along the way for drink if you get a taxi from the airport. Did you manage to find out what time in the morning they allow you to buy drink from ? Thanks for the help.

Opr

Sorry, forgot about that.

I just called the Wells store, and she said that the hours were from 8am-11pm. That ones regular trading is from 6am-12am for everything else.

Just looking at the line up...Not as many Irish acts as there usually is... U2 and Fight Like Apes is the only ones I can see...

http://journalist.ie/2011/04/notes-irish-bands-at-glastonbury-2011/
    Contemplating the line-up of Glastonbury, in order to place it in the right context, its history and the role it plays as the UK’s main festival must be considered. Music fan and dairy farmer Michael Eavis was so inspired by the atmosphere of a Led Zeppelin concert at a Blues festival in Bath, he returned home to Worthy Farm in Pilton with an idea for a rock festival lodged firmly in his mind. The day after Jimi Hendrix’s death on 18 September 1970, the Pilton Festival opened its gates, drawing hippies, rockers and new age spiritualists from all over Britain, many of whom were attracted by the mythical associations of Glastonbury Tor and the surrounding Vale of Avalon set in scenic Somerset. The headline act was T-Rex, admission was £1 and included free milk from the Eavis herd of cows.

Glastonbury_1.jpg

These days, Glastonbury music festival is a drastically different affair. It’s the largest green field, open-air festival in the world and while Eavis still plays a major role in its management, the Live Nation/MCD-owned company Festival Nation control the logistics. Performing on the Pyramid stage is one of the greatest accolades any band can lay claim to and this year, after postponing due to injury in 2010, U2 will headline for the first time in their 35 year career while relative newcomers Two Door Cinema Club have also bagged a spot on the Pyramid Stage. There is a strong tradition of Irish artists appearing at Glastonbury and over the years Irish artists Van Morrison, Christy Moore, Sinead O’Connor, The Boomtown Rats and Ash have all headlined, while a multitude of smaller acts grace the billing every year, more recently including Villagers, Fight Like Apes, Ham Sandwich and The Flaws.

2011 sees U2 and TDCC joined by Not Squares, James Vincent McMorrow, Imelda May, the Hothouse Flowers, the Japanese Popstars, Space Dimension Controller, Rainy Boy Sleep and DJ Kormac along with the Belfast-based Isobel Anderson bringing a distinctly Irish flavour to the line-up. Of those mentioned, Two Door, Imelda May, Japanese Popstars and DJ Kormac are returning for a second time which is no mean feat considering Van Morrison is the only Irish artist to ever play Glastonbury three times. 2010’s line-up consisted of nine Irish acts, so it’s clear that the organisers want to give Irish music some presence on the line-up each year but what stands out is that they’re actively observing what’s happening in the Irish music scene. We have more to offer than ever before and this is reflected in the selection of bands this year; U2 and Hothouse Flowers represent Irish music as it’s formally recognised by the international community but the younger performers can engage that same audience and provide a more accurate portrayal of contemporary Irish culture where music is concerned, with emphasis on our globally-underrated electronic output. The Irish bands on the line-up this year give some insight into the way the music community at large see us, and what they’re seeing is a more adventurous and exhilarating array of new music that is representative of our cultural evolution.

By continuing to support previous performers while inviting fresh talent such as Not Squares, J.V. McMorrow and Space Dimension Controller to play at one of the world’s biggest festivals before those artists have sold out their country’s biggest venues, it’s not simply a matter of providing the UK audience with music they already know and love: it’s staying loyal to the original ethos of exciting new music that made Glastonbury such a success in the first place. That Irish music is consistently recognised at Glastonbury is proof that this tiny rock continues to make a major impact on the world. Rather than the ten most popular Irish bands, they’ve veered towards ten diverse choices to give the world a glimpse of what’s really going on. It’s truly astonishing to weigh up those bands and realise that the same list could be filled twice over with equally strong contenders from this island and amid all the other voices clamouring to be heard, ours stand out. Irish bands are well-represented at SXSW and Canadian Music Week but those are specifically industry-orientated showcases with dedicated personnel working on the bands’ behalf. When the big guns ask you to play Glastonbury, you know you’re doing something right.

Unlike Steven Rainey, I don’t agree that “only” ten Irish bands will make it to Glastonbury this year or that “because a band has played Glasgowbury, or Forfey…should not mean that they are ready to step up to Glastonbury”. Every band should strive to be good enough to play Glastonbury, to knock a different group off the bill and take to the stage. It’s an enormous achievement that, while not exactly marking a group out as having ‘made it’, shows they have the potential to do so. When ASIWYFA played Belgium’s 45,000-capacity Pukkelpop festival in 2009 they hadn’t even released an album and were practically unknown outside Belfast just a year before. A Plastic Rose stormed straight into the Reading & Leeds festival the same summer despite the fact that their debut album ‘The Promise Notes’ was only released in March this year. If a band can sell well at a local venue and tour successfully, then the next logical step to that is moving from safe ground to the world stage. It’s curious that Rainey condemns those who express a desire to be chosen for big festivals based on their local success, considering his article continues with the following statement: “it’s time that Northern Ireland stopped patting itself on the back and realised that if it wants the big rewards, it has to go out there and get them”. The supportive attitude of local scenes is exactly what instills bands with the courage and confidence to succeed beyond their home turf and scale mountains, or tors, abroad.

Opr

• Advertisement

The bus from the airport to the centre of Bristol could easily take up to an hour, depending on the time of day. There are no bus lanes for it to make use of on the route it takes, and it goes via Temple Meads Station on the way as well.

The biggest delay I believe would be at the bus station though where there will be masses of people hanging around with loads of kit and trying to get onto the buses to the festival site. Those buses then head of and get stuck in the regular traffic queue to the site so you could be on that for any amount of time.

Unless you really, really need to, then do not go from the airport into Bristol. Get a taxi straight to the site from the airport. You'll be coming from a different direction to the majority of traffic, which is either coming off the M5 and along the A39, or coming from Bristol down the A37. From the airport they will most likely go via Cheddar and Wells and hopefully know any other back roads to skip jams if they can.

I've never heard of there being a bus from the airport to the festival though. Share a taxi is your best option.

thanks for that Robinph - I appreciate the info..
    looks like it's gonna be a taxi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 frogg

anyone want to share a taxi from Bristol Airport on Fri @ around 3:30? Looking for 2 people...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Goat_Boy_jones

Cheers OPR...

Frogg: Fri @ around 3:30
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72781412&postcount=563

lindu: Wednesday morning (6.35am
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72759272&postcount=542

richardtauber: 16.40 on Thursday
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72734678&postcount=530

Just what I found from a search of the last several pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Griff77

Hey, not long now...... I'm flying over Wednesday morning and we are renting a car. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a decent route to the west car parks from Bristol Airport? Also I assume the West car parks are teh ones you want to aim for if planning on camping in park home or thereabouts? We would also like to hit a decent shop with an offy etc on route so any suggestions would be great. Google maps directions would be great aswell if anyone has the ability (pushing the boat out here!!!). :D

Hopefully be surfacing from my first Glasto sleep about now this time next week...

I think your best bet would be A38 to Axbridge, then on the A371 as far as Wells, there is a Tesco here where you can stock up, then down the A39 to Glastonbury and then A361 to Pilton. You will almost definatly hit traffic at Glastonbury, but you may avoid the wort of it by going in via Wells.

Do not go as far as Shepton on the A371 though or you will be in the east parking. There is more parking in the west side, and you don't have the "Hill Of Death" to negotiate on the way in, or out on the Monday. East side is where the majority of the campervan fields are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Griff77 I asked the same question on another forum about where was best to access an off license out of hours. Thank God for 24hour opening times:

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=160291&st=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

If you haven't already give the Glastoearth FAQ a read through. I hadn't bothered assuming I knew the festival well enough at this point but it has some excellent breakdowns of pretty much everything and it is guaranteed to get you far too excited. Also of interest is this mini-interview with the lads in Arcadia. If the line about the Lords Of Lightning returning with new stuff they aren't too sure they'll be able to pull off due to the limits of physics doesn't get you drooling with anticipation nothing will.

Little update on the weather. It hasn't been looking great but the latest run today was very good. Hopefully that trend should continue.

This app is updated 4 times a day and is actually done from chart data by one of the guys over on netweather so its not one of those automated BS things.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=glasto;sess=

Latest Chart :) - Red = Good

h500slp.png

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

When it comes to the weather and it looks like its going to rain or whatever I just read a few posts from this thread and I feel a little better.
    Don't think I would handle the severe heat of last year well at all!

Advertisement